Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

This thread is for discussion of the recently announced merger / reverse takeover of AA and US factual reporting of official announcements, changes and other issues related to the AA - US merger / reverse takeover are in the thread entitled American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please.

This Forum welcomes all. While we understand feelings may run high about the merger and possible changes to the airline and its Frequent Flyer Programs as more details about the merger are announced, but this thread will be moderated much as any other - attacks / bashing on FlyerTalk members, groups (AA or US management, USDM members, etc.) will not be tolerated, and may be summarily deleted or / and subject to disciplinary action, in accordance with TOS.

N.B. The now archived (closed) speculation thread dealing with whether there would be a merger and what might occur if such happened is US Airways & AMR / AA Takeover / "merger" Rumors and Discussion (consolidated).

Link to AA announcement of merger

Link to US Airways page announcing merger

Link to US presentation to US Securities and Exchange Commission 10 Jan 2013 abut synergies, labor agreements, etc.

Also note: the attached poll may be pulled if a better option comes along, provided by Admin or IB, e.g a multi-forum poll, etc.

IB has asked for a simple yes-no poll, and we have added that to the "just the facts" sticky; we'd appreciate your feedback there, as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 15, 2013 at 2:42 pm Reason: update after merger announcement
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT
AMR, US AIRWAYS SAID TO AGREE ON MERGER TERMS; BOARD VOTES SET - Bloomberg
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
AMR, US AIRWAYS SAID TO AGREE ON MERGER TERMS; BOARD VOTES SET - Bloomberg
Yep appears to being going down. Announcement expected tomorrow, so those reports have not been incorrect.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Saw on another site that both the US Air & AMR boards were in the process of meeting today. Wonder if the announcement will come tomorrow if approved.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Saw on another site that both the US Air & AMR boards were in the process of meeting today. Wonder if the announcement will come tomorrow if approved.
That's what's expected. I also expect we'll know the outcome before the official announcement tomorrow. It will get leaked the board votes.

Last edited by grahampros; Feb 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
according to Bloomberg, both boards have met, and agreed to terms of merger. Parker will be CEO.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by mrowl
according to Bloomberg, both boards have met, and agreed to terms of merger. Parker will be CEO.
Not shocking. The real question how will the rest of the management structure pan out.

With that being said I hope this is a sign of a more aggressive AMR especially in Asia.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
So this means officially I can book a US Air metal flight next week from MCI to PHX direct and get AA EQM, right?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
With that being said I hope this is a sign of a more aggressive AMR especially in Asia.
I've read lots of tripe that Parker doesn't believe in competing somewhere unless US is #1 in the market, so if that's true, then you can rule out any expansion in Asia, as the combined airline is starting at #3.

In all seriousness, however, if US elites who travel to Asia want to stay with the combined US-AA, then that will provide some real incentives to expand the Asian presence. Instead of the "build it and they will (eventually) come if we can attract new business," model, it would more resemble "build it and they will stay and hand you money" model.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:57 pm

Looks like AA will be going home with the last dance beauty queen as The party is coming to an end. All the pretty people have already paired off. DL found NW, UA and CO are doing the Rihanna/Chris Brown thing, and even WN/FL have found each other. The swinger that gets around wishes to remain that way (AS).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
While anything can happen I say 99.5% this deal is done. An announcement should likely be made after the market closes. Also, remember that a Plan of Reorganization still needs to be filed with the Court, sent to creditors for a vote and then approved by the Judge. There certainly is the risk of certain creditors trying to hold it up although if there is general consensus among most creditors the Judge would likely just overrule any objection.

It probably won't be until late spring or summer until the deal is actually done. It will take another several months before changes to take effect that would impact FFs.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20 minutes later and Bloomberg hasn't published anything in writing that says both boards have already met. The AMR board is currently meeting, says Bloomberg:

The board of bankrupt American Airlines parent AMR Corp. is meeting now to vote on a merger with US Airways Group Inc. after the two sides reached a tentative agreement that would create the worlds largest carrier, people familiar with the matter said.

The accord probably will go to US Airways board later today once AMR directors vote, said the people, who asked not to be named because the talks are private. Details of the proposal werent immediately disclosed.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...or-merger.html
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
20 minutes later and Bloomberg hasn't published anything in writing that says both boards have already met. The AMR board is currently meeting, says Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...or-merger.html
don't you know twitter is the news source now?

@bloombergnews
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
AAngels in DFW AC just told me a big press conference will be held in Terminal D tomorrow. Workers are setting up for "something". They were not happy about the news, and blame the pilots.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:24 pm

don't you know twitter is the news source now?

@bloombergnews
anything's better than Huffington Post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.