Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by flight62
You have been outspoken about your hatred of this merger and DP for a long time. I just hope and pray IF you are correct...and I think you and the DOJ will be made fools of...your trip back to the judge will not be as painful as I can PROMISE it WILL be. If you honestly think starting all over is going to be equal in cuts or better, I have a piece of land in the everglades that will perk. Your management that will guide you will throw a rescaled Chapter 11 with their attorneys and will DESTROY YOU!! It is the judges place to save a company and if the company feels they need more cuts, they WILL get it! You really think all those AB's will come your way without it being paid by labor? OR scaled back? And your few profits will mean nothing. Get ready to shrink or spend and go back to Chapter 11 within a year.

Meanwhile, US Airways will be fine. We have had greater people hating on US than you for YEARS. We are use to it and could care less. Good luck!
Why is the DOJ going to be made fools of? I'm getting tired of this kind of post that makes these comments but provide zero insight behind them. Also AA reported record July profits which would made it very hard for them to get back and get enforced concessions from the bK.
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
When people say one domestic's F product isn't as good as another carrier's, what exactly are we comparing? Leaving the lie-flat JFK-SFO/LAX options out of the mix, I'm not even sure that I can differentiate. US doesn't serve meals on a lot of flights but that's about it. Beyond that, UA has some in-seat power, but the seat itself on the 737-900 I sat in a month ago was hard as a rock compared to the US F seat. Honestly, of US, UA and DL F products (never flew AA F), I'd have a really hard time differentiating on things that actually matter. And to me what matters is having more personal space on the plane.
The lack of meals on shorter flights and the quality of meals offered is a big part. US has had some good meals, and UA's had some nasty ones - my last UA flight in particular comes to mind. That said, I think UA at least tries to give a more first class feel with glasses on all flights, and ice cream sundaes for dessert.

It's not like the competition offers anything stellar, just that US's cheapness tends to show more in F than others.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Doj continues to try and stall.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...rch-2014.html/

If find it comical that the doj thinks its ok to have a trial over 7 months out and over a year after the merger was announced. The madness should stop and let the merger happen.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Future Alliance

In the event the merger does not happen, has there been any clues to which alliance US Airways will be a part of? Will they stay with STAR or head on over to OneWorld and codeshare with AA and others?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:24 pm
Suspended

nobody knows yet.
The airline is proceeding under the impression they will merge (most agree that they will).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Honestly, I want it to be expedited not because the DOJ will have less time to prepare, but so us, as consumers/customers, can make informed decisions on future travel plans.

The stalling isn't good for anyone imo, maybe only for people who realllyy dislike the merger
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by akelkar
Honestly, I want it to be expedited not because the DOJ will have less time to prepare, but so us, as consumers/customers, can make informed decisions on future travel plans.

The stalling isn't good for anyone imo, maybe only for people who realllyy dislike the merger
It's all up to the Judge on the 30th. IMO, if the Judge agrees with the DOJ date, it will provide a clue regarding who she will favor during the actual trial, which may cause the merger to unwind at AA's request. I'd bet she will set a middle ground date and ignore the absurdity of the DOJ's request for more time - they've already had a year to prepare!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by perseus11
It's all up to the Judge on the 30th. IMO, if the Judge agrees with the DOJ date, it will provide a clue regarding who she will favor during the actual trial, which may cause the merger to unwind at AA's request. I'd bet she will set a middle ground date and ignore the absurdity of the DOJ's request for more time - they've already had a year to prepare!
She's known to be very fair and no-nonsense. I'm pretty sure she'll see right through what the doj is trying to do.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:19 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Why is the DOJ going to be made fools of? I'm getting tired of this kind of post that makes these comments but provide zero insight behind them. Also AA reported record July profits which would made it very hard for them to get back and get enforced concessions from the bK.
Cheers
Howie
Because there is no crystal ball that proves the sky will fall for the flying public. The burden of proof falls with the DOJ. They only have what they THINK will happen. The DOJ can no more see in the future than you and I. AND, one economic downturn and guess who will probably be most vulnerable? But the DOJ should know that since they have decided they are Miss Cleo. GET IT NOW???
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:24 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Thanks for the morning chuckle! I needed that.

tom911 is correct - I don't work for AMR or any of its subsidiaries.

I'm certain that US will be fine without AA. Doug Parker, your esteemed CEO, has said it repeatedly.

Best of luck to you and everyone else at US.
Regardless, you have been against the merger and all I said will happen to the airline you fly and support. So enjoy your chuckle and remember it when AA goes further down with more cuts.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kootur
Doj continues to try and stall.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...rch-2014.html/

If find it comical that the doj thinks its ok to have a trial over 7 months out and over a year after the merger was announced.
Apparently it's neither Parker nor the DOJ's decision, but it will be the Judge's. And it's lawful.

Let me paraphrase you: the merger madness should stop and Parker should let the new AA emerge standalone. I provide the same evidence and facts to back this statement: ________________________________
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flight62
Regardless, you have been against the merger and all I said will happen to the airline you fly and support. So enjoy your chuckle and remember it when AA goes further down with more cuts.
They don't deserve my support if the new airline has fares that are too expensive.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Yikes. If the news about AA fuel surcharges is true, I'm a lot less excited about my US miles becoming AA miles, and a lot more likely to burn them beforehand if the merger actually happens.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by perseus11
It's all up to the Judge on the 30th. IMO, if the Judge agrees with the DOJ date, it will provide a clue regarding who she will favor during the actual trial, which may cause the merger to unwind at AA's request. . .
This is patently incorrect. Granting a party's request for more time to prepare does not mean any further 'favors' during the trial. Gotta love FT legal analysts.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:26 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'm wondering if US and AA really do have a plan B to codeshare or enter into some kind of partnership if the merger doesn't happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.