Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Do also bear in mind Economics 101 supply and demand curves.....
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If their competitors don't, why should they?
Look at CX/SQ/PR/LH/QF margins and tell me if they are high.
You would think how the DOJ is describing it, these oligopic legacy carriers have their boardrooms filled with shareholders lighting their cigars with $100 bills. People keep boasting about the record profits they are making (from an industry that lost over $10 billion dollars in the past decade), as evidence of that. But DL's revenue margin for the last quarter was I believe the highest of these oligopic carriers coming in at around 9%. Yes, a big price gauging 9%!!!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Fanjet
...DL's revenue margin for the last quarter was I believe the highest of these oligopic carriers coming in at around 9%. Yes, a big price gauging 9%!!!
9% margin isn't bad when one considers that a domestic airplane operated by any US-based carrier is effectively a hyper speed Greyhound bus with better security running at a higher elevation.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coastalguy
9% margin isn't bad when one considers that a domestic airplane operated by any US-based carrier is effectively a hyper speed Greyhound bus with better security running at a higher elevation.
9% isn't bad. And it is definitely better than a loss. But it also isn't price gauging.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
9% isn't bad. And it is definitely better than a loss. But it also isn't price gauging.
What's "price gauging"???
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by tommyleo
What's "price gauging"???
The carrect spelling af "price gouging" an keybaards withaut an "o".

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Sep 1, 2013 at 6:50 pm Reason: extra o
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would think how the DOJ is describing it, these oligopic legacy carriers have their boardrooms filled with shareholders lighting their cigars with $100 bills. People keep boasting about the record profits they are making (from an industry that lost over $10 billion dollars in the past decade), as evidence of that. But DL's revenue margin for the last quarter was I believe the highest of these oligopic carriers coming in at around 9%. Yes, a big price gauging 9%!!!
The government's rationale for mentioning the current profits in the complaint (more than once) is two-fold:

1. Mergers have been permitted to occur in the recent past, reducing capacity and (in the view of the DOJ) reducing competition, resulting in higher fares and profits even though fuel prices remain close to record highs; and

2. Current profits at US and AA absolutely prevent any argument of the failing company defense. Neither company is failing - they're both reporting record profits. The rampant speculation that AA and/or US will fail if the merger isn't approved is irrelevant under the reasoning of International Shoe.

The $60 billion lost by the industry in the last dozen years is irrelevant in this merger. It simply doesn't matter. Wouldn't matter if the industry had earned $60 billion or if the industry had lost $60 trillion. The current good health of US and AA is all that matters - the previous losses are no longer relevant.

Antitrust law isn't concerned with creating a long-term stable, profitable industry (like the industry analysts and CEOs are).
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
... under the reasoning of International Shoe. ...
Minor point: International Shoe dealt with jurisdiction. Perhaps you meant Brown Shoe?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA

2. Current profits at US and AA absolutely prevent any argument of the failing company defense. Neither company is failing - they're both reporting record profits. The rampant speculation that AA and/or US will fail if the merger isn't approved is irrelevant ...
Which is why AA/US aren't using a failing company defense. I believe they have stated that not allowing them to merge puts them at a competitive disadvantage against UA and DL. But I haven't seen any statement by them that it means either airline's demise.

And the DOJ is using average fare increase data starting from a time period when those airlines were losing money, not when they were making money. Does the DOJ think that those airlines should revert back to their old fares and start losing money again?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kudzu
Minor point: International Shoe dealt with jurisdiction. Perhaps you meant Brown Shoe?
No, I meant International Shoe Co. v. FTC, 280 U.S. 291 (1930).

http://supreme.justia.com/cases/fede.../291/case.html
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by kudzu
You're bring up bad memories of Civ. Pro.

Stop.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
How long US will be in *aliance ?

Sorry if this is already discussed, but I not found.
Would like to know, how long US will be a member of *aliance, or better said, how Long we will be able to book *aliance flights with DM ?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 6:44 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
How long US will be in *aliance ?

As of now, there is no announced withdrawal because the merger is on hold pending the DOJ law suit. They go to court Nov 25. So, I'd say they're definitely in *A through the end of the year, at a minimum. If US/AA are able to win the suit or come to a settlement, then we'll hear more maybe by the end of the year about the merger plans. A company letter to employees said they hope to wrap it up in Q1/2014 if things go their way in court.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
If it makes you feel better, Last week I booked a *A flight through US that is for June/July 2014. I understand the danger and I am willing to take the risk.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
So have you not noticed airfare being up ~5-6% in many major markets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.