Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by cubachao
will US stay in *A or move to OW???
No-one knows. You can be sure it will be widely publicised once the news eventually breaks though.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:53 am

Why would they move absent the merger?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Your magic 8 ball is as good as ours!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
Why would they move absent the merger?
Perhaps US wants to join OW, with or with a merger with AA?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by CenterWaters
Perhaps US wants to join OW, with or with a merger with AA?
"Perhaps" is not a very persuasive rationale.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:33 pm

My theory is that if the merger fails, both US and AA may also fail within a few years. Consequently, I believe they will establish some sort of relationship (along with BA), which ensures their long term survival. US will never be more than a 2nd fiddle to LH and UA if they remain in *A. Joining OW would also provide excellent partner access to Asia and more than likely 1 or more JVs - something US has been denied with *A. The Joint Venture potential alone makes dumping *A for OW likely a worthwhile endeavor. BTW, jump to the bottom of this page (Members Elect): http://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:59 pm

An effective JV requires antitrust waivers. We only get there if the DOJ succeeds in blocking the US - AA merger. How likely is it that the govt will grant those waivers?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
My theory is that if the merger fails, both US and AA may also fail within a few years. Consequently, I believe they will establish some sort of relationship (along with BA), which ensures their long term survival. US will never be more than a 2nd fiddle to LH and UA if they remain in *A. Joining OW would also provide excellent partner access to Asia and more than likely 1 or more JVs - something US has been denied with *A. The Joint Venture potential alone makes dumping *A for OW likely a worthwhile endeavor. BTW, jump to the bottom of this page (Members Elect): http://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
US has to be invited to join OW. The only reason they were joining OW was because of AA's membership. In a scenario with no merger AA, BA, and OW as a whole have to invite US to join. US can't just knock on the door and say let us in.

And joining the ATI agreement's already in place is another battle. I suspect the airlines in the existing ATI agreements would rather keep them status quo so as to not have the DoJ go after them as well and end up worse off.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by richarddd
"Perhaps" is not a very persuasive rationale.
Dougie also seems too cheap to overhaul the systems so they'd be compatible with OW's vs. *A. Hell, it took them forever to get an iPhone/Android app out the door - almost a year later than promised. And that's just a simple app.

I don't see Dougie throwing the resources at the project necessary to get it done quickly.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I have a feeling that at US may join 1W merger or not.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
US has to be invited to join OW. The only reason they were joining OW was because of AA's membership. In a scenario with no merger AA, BA, and OW as a whole have to invite US to join. US can't just knock on the door and say let us in.

And joining the ATI agreement's already in place is another battle. I suspect the airlines in the existing ATI agreements would rather keep them status quo so as to not have the DoJ go after them as well and end up worse off.
if the merger does not go through, will AA refuse to sponsor US's entry into OW? What incentive does AA have for inviting US?

I don't know why AA's team of attorneys didn't demand $2 billion if the merger cannot be consummated. (like what AT&T had to pay when the merger with T-Mobile couldn't go through)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
I don't know why AA's team of attorneys didn't demand $2 billion if the merger cannot be consummated. (like what AT&T had to pay when the merger with T-Mobile couldn't go through)
You're talking about Deutsche Telekom attorneys + Marconi Pacific consultants versus AA and US Airlines attorneys.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.

AY was just added to the AA/BA/IB ATI/JV. So it has grown. And given the fact that the EU Commission signed off on the merger (which meant that US's intl network would be part of the ATI), I don't see how it could face any hurdles as a stand alone carrier. The DOJ really focused on the domestic aspect of this merger. And US's presence in the east coast provides a lot of feed for IB and BA's flights at BOS and PHL that AA's weak presence on the east coast doesn't at JFK.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
if the merger does not go through, will AA refuse to sponsor US's entry into OW? What incentive does AA have for inviting US?

The $3b AT&T paid to T-mobile was to cover any potential collateral damage to T-mobile's brand name; both parties spun it so that t-mobile's finances, business plan, customer base, network, etc were as weak and unfavorable as possible, and that t-mobile wouldn't survive on their own. The $3b was to be a huge cash infusion to keep investors and customers from fleeing if the merger didn't go through. Who wouldn't pull their investment in a company after seeing pages and pages of affidavits that the company was sure to go bust if they didn't tie up with the competition?

Since both AA and US have said many times that they can go it alone just fine, and neither side is claiming the other is substandard in any way, there's no damage to either company's reputation, hence the AT&T payment isn't really relevant.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
US has to be invited to join OW. The only reason they were joining OW was because of AA's membership. In a scenario with no merger AA, BA, and OW as a whole have to invite US to join. US can't just knock on the door and say let us in.....
Oh really, I didn't know that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.