Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Partner flying is better for me as long as I get low fares and 100% mileage.
+1. Some of AA's partners offer a better onboard product than AA. So the partnership is best of both worlds - I get my AA miles and a better flying experience.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Partner flying is better for me as long as I get low fares and 100% mileage.
Wait unitl it becomes revenue based. Then it gets a little messy depending on how they implement it.

I was HP Platinum before the Parker takeover and US merger. When they did the $2 for water thing, I promptly moved to WN and UA. Even though company pays for these things if I choose to buy one, it just was too customer unfriendly.

My observation is that the US management team has the ability to adapt and learn. Between that and the UA/CO debacle (where some CO senior management have been cleaned out recently), they should be a little smarter than knowing AA is a whole different aminal (just as Frontier would be ) and be a little careful.

I think the end result would be an airline that is more like AA than US. However, every inch AA goes down to the US level (e.g. award availability and perks for elites), will give UA the incentive to follow.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by username
. . . I think the end result would be an airline that is more like AA than US. However, every inch AA goes down to the US level (e.g. award availability and perks for elites), will give UA the incentive to follow.
You may be surprised, but a lot of US elites are pretty happy right now. Between the service quality, the fare levels, OTP, and upgrade %%, we don't have much to complain about for now.

Originally Posted by username
. . . My observation is that the US management team has the ability to adapt and learn. . . they should be a little smarter than knowing AA is a whole different aminal (just as Frontier would be ) and be a little careful.
Although US management team may not come across as a geniuses, I think they are smart enough to learn from the UA/CO merger, which they claimed they did. At the very least, from their intended course of action ( migration to AA ), it seems that they are not as reckless as $mi$ek to start innovations and enhancements mid-integration.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Use the miles or wait until post-merger?

Given the upcoming merger would it be a good idea to hold the miles in my DM account until post-merger or burn them on domestic flights this year? I don't find US Airways redemptions particularly attractive. Just wondering what are folks planning to do with their DM miles before it merges with AA program.

PS - I don't have any status on DM nor it's my preferred program. So even for upgrades I would be hit with the upgrade fees.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Er ... did you read this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...n-thread.html?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Given the upcoming merger would it be a good idea to hold the miles in my DM account until post-merger or burn them on domestic flights this year? I don't find US Airways redemptions particularly attractive. Just wondering what are folks planning to do with their DM miles before it merges with AA program.

PS - I don't have any status on DM nor it's my preferred program. So even for upgrades I would be hit with the upgrade fees.
While few details are available, I wouldn't base usage on the merger unless you prefer *A partners to those that will be available in OW. The "new" merged AA will be in OW so if you want to use your miles in the *A go ahead and use them while they're still usable there. Otherwise they'll still be available for use in OW.

Jim
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
While few details are available, I wouldn't base usage on the merger unless you prefer *A partners to those that will be available in OW. The "new" merged AA will be in OW so if you want to use your miles in the *A go ahead and use them while they're still usable there. Otherwise they'll still be available for use in OW.

Jim
Thanks Jim. When is the expectation for the two programs to merge? Late 2014?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:14 am

I wouldn't expect a full merger of programs until 6-12 months after the "official" OK for the AA Plan of Reorganization (expected by the end of 3rd quarter this year). Having said that, some things will happen pretty quickly, like awards/mileage earning on each others flights or being able to purchase each others flights on either website.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by burlax
You may be surprised, but a lot of US elites are pretty happy right now. Between the service quality, the fare levels, OTP, and upgrade %%, we don't have much to complain about for now.
Key words: "for now." Just wait until the merger is complete and low/middle-tier elites never get upgraded.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by fly747first
Key words: "for now." Just wait until the merger is complete and low/middle-tier elites never get upgraded.
It's not going to be much of a picnic for the top tier elites, either.

After the UA/CO merger went into effect, they came out with a statement (and it may have been an unofficial statement) that the combined program had far more elites than originally anticipated. I believe this was prior to the combined program going into effect, so elites on both sides can expect to feel the squeeze once the (expected) reciprocal benefits kick in.

So glad I'm sitting this one out.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: United - 1K, USAir - Silver, DL, Starwood-Platinum, Hilton - Diamond
Million Mile Status

I am a US Airways million mile flyer. In their current program that gives me lifetime silver status. American Airlines program gives million mile flyers lifetime gold status. Since the merger will be using American Airlines frequent flyer program does anyone know if that means that the million mile flyers from US Airways will now get lifetime gold status?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
No, no one knows. Nothing has been announced yet. But since US Silver and AA Gold are about equivalent in terms of qualification (25K miles/year; 1 MM for LT status), it seems like a decent bet that your lifetime status will be converted to AA LT GLD.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:23 pm

While the FF program will likely be called "AAdvantage" it doesn't mean that the details will remain the same as the current AAvantage program. There will almost certainly be a mix of the two FF programs that makes up the new "AAdvantage" program.

Jim
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
While the FF program will likely be called "AAdvantage" it doesn't mean that the details will remain the same as the current AAvantage program. There will almost certainly be a mix of the two FF programs that makes up the new "AAdvantage" program.

Jim
And I would be very surprised if "The New AAdvantage" did not add a revenue qualifier...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by SS255
And I would be very surprised if "The New AAdvantage" did not add a revenue qualifier...
I bet they will, but not right away. Post-merger, it's all going to be about image building - retaining their own elites and not scaring off others from potentially coming over. Not having a revenue qualifier is now a differentiator among large US airlines.

Beyond that, I don't know about on AA, but with US it's kind of hard to mileage run anyway. You can't get creative with routing and I just haven't seen too many low hub-hub fares that would enable it. My hunch is that I don't think US has a revenue problem with its elites. Even if they do, I don't expect to ever qualify above Silver anyway since my travel isn't on business, it's just for leisure and a very spread out extended family. Sadly, with the number of PWM-PHL and DCA runs I do, I know I'm north of 10 cents per mile since those fares are never cheap unless I plan WAY out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.