Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I have CC for US (Barclay's) and for AA (Citi). After the merger, from the Dallas News report, the "new AA" will be a Citi customer. Will my US card go away? Does this mean that US will pay the $200 million they owe Barclay's and no more Barclay's cards for the combined AA?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: AA EP
*A Lounge Hassles

I'm US PP, and UA PS, and paid lounge with US. I'm leaving US and accumulating miles on UA because of this merger. The LAX *A lounge staff tonight was just flummoxed with my US paid lounge card. Had to get the supervisor. Acted as if i was crashing a wedding. They kept waving my boarding pass at me saying "it's only silver" ... I get various levels of hassle everytime I try to access any lounge other than US or UA domestic lounges. I understand these folks aren't highly paid and are probably almost untrained. I kept telling the clerk to scan my US Club card - and she acted as if it would blow up. She finally got her supervisor who scanned the card and voila success! She was really unhappy that she had to let me in. I'm starting to wonder if I should go for a status match from Delta. I imagine I'd get the same poor treatment from them. Competition is so minimal now with 3 carriers that we can be treated poorly and still continue to use the airline that has a hub near home.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:52 pm

Let us hope that the NEW AA Parker has upgraded his sophistication levels and reinstates the PHL Envoy Lounge (upgraded WITH SHOWERS) as a Flagship Lounge ( http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipLounges.jsp ) . IMO, this is a necessary requirement if the new AA is going to evolve PHL into a larger OneWorld international Gateway. The existing PHL BA Galleries Club is way too small for this purpose.

Last edited by perseus11; Jun 8, 2013 at 3:48 pm
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
Let us hope that the NEW AA Parker has upgraded his sophistication levels and reinstates the PHL Envoy Lounge (upgraded WITH SHOWERS) as a Flagship Lounge ( http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipLounges.jsp ) . IMO, this is a necessary requirement if the new AA is going to evolve PHL into a larger OneWorld international Gateway. The existing PHL BA Galleries Club is way too small for this purpose.
That'd be nice. I don't fly US/AA internationally much, actually I don't fly internationally much at all, but my SAN runs usually take off and land in A I don't think I'd shower up after one, but a nicer food selection would be great. There's usually not enough time for me to run to the B/C connector for a decent meal/snack.

Frankly, if domestic lounges offered better food, I'd buy a membership instead of using my Amex Platinum.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by perseus11
I seriously doubt PHL would get a Flagship Lounge since there will most likely not be any international F on AA metal flying out of there. Even DFW doesn't have a FL. However, upgrading the US Club in terminal A to include shower facilities is a likely probability. Even the ACs in BOS and RDU have showers.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I seriously doubt PHL would get a Flagship Lounge since there will most likely not be any international F on AA metal flying out of there. Even DFW doesn't have a FL. However, upgrading the US Club in terminal A to include shower facilities is a likely probability. Even the ACs in BOS and RDU have showers.
You actually might see AA F in PHL if the 777-300ER comes to town, which seems at least a possibility on a route like PHL-LHR. I agree though that a full FL isn't likely though.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:09 am

Post-Merger AA Mgmt Team Mostly US People

I take this as good news...

American Airlines and US Airways Announces Post-Merger Management Team

American Airlines’ parent corporation AMR, which will change its name to American Airlines Group after it mergers with US Airways, announced post-merger management appointments to lead the combined company.

Six senior executives from US Airways were named, along with four from American.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
What did you expect of usAAirways (d.b.a. American Airlines).

Its basically is an acquisition...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ITRADE

Its basically is an acquisition...
Most acquisitions don't occur with 72% of the company going to the other side, however.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DCann
Most acquisitions don't occur with 72% of the company going to the other side, however.
Structurally it pretty much mirrors the CO/UA deal, with a lot of Continental executives taking over the merged airline. (With disastrous effect so far; I am hoping this goes better.)
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I do find it encouraging that Maya stays on as CIO. It gives some hope that the integration of reservations, FF accounts, and other IT stuff won't be a disaster. Nevertheless, there is no sugar-coating that this is a takeover of AA by US.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Six senior executives from US Airways were named, along with four from American.
And at least one of those 4, the CFO Derek Kerr, was also CFO at HP, so he is no stranger to Doug, Scott, and the team.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by DCann
I went to high school with Bev Goulet (Fremont HS, Fremont, Michigan, Class of 1972). She is an absolutely outstanding individual, incredibly smart and hard working. She has a pedigree in corporate management, as her late father Leo was the CEO of Gerber Products Company when the Gerber family still controlled it. I wish her all the best.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Would have been a decent article other than the fact that Derek Kerr is from US Airways and Robert Isomer is not a chemistry professor, but instead our very own Robert Isom!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Two crappy airlines merging, with Dougie Howser at the helm. This should be fun! Woo Hoo!

Just glad I don't live in DFW, CLT, PHL, or PHX. Would hate to be hub captive to this motley crew.

Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.