Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, US Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Any idea if the elite qualification levels for 2014 will count combined AA/US air 2013 mileage, or seperate?

I've currently got 40K AA EQM, and 9700 EQM on US, and am trying to figure out if to shift all my flights to AA to keep my exec plat status.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJollyLife
Any idea if the elite qualification levels for 2014 will count combined AA/US air 2013 mileage, or seperate?

I've currently got 40K AA EQM, and 9700 EQM on US, and am trying to figure out if to shift all my flights to AA to keep my exec plat status.
Nobody knows. When that info is known, it won't be difficult to find.
Old May 28, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Originally Posted by burlax
This heavily depends on your destination and the expected date. A few destinations such as LHR are better served by OW. However, for most destinations, *A will be a better choice because of superior route network. Also, keep in mind that BA, which you have to take to get anywhere east of London on OW, imposes very high YQ on awards. So, if you see suitable flights on *A, book them.

US will honor previously booked tickets. The uncertainty here is that if one of the partner flights is cancelled after US leaves *A, the itinerary will be refunded, as US would no longer be able to rebook on *A. So, if you absolutely have to travel, you should take PWNTrav's advice and try to book on US metal.
Thanks and great points to consider for both. I am more risk adversed on this since it is the whole family traveling, so I may stick with US metal unless the difference is too good to pass up.

I am floored by the BA surcharges, $2k for an award flight...wowsa!
Old May 29, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: Delta MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, United Premier Silver
Strategy for booking Us Airways flight and earning miles

We do not fly Us Airways and are not members of its FF program.

We plan to book a US AIrways flight rt PHX/HNL for next April.

If I wait to assign a FF number to the flights, will I be able to earn AA miles for those flights (I have some AA miles and that's where I prefer to earn them)?
Old May 29, 2013, 4:12 am

I doubt if anyone can answer that question now. When the FF programs merge is AFAIK anyones guess at this point...
Old May 29, 2013, 4:16 am

Thanks

i assume if we both join Dividend Miles and earn US Airways miles for the flights, those miles will transfer over to American when the merger occurs? From what I have read, that seems to be the case.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:20 am

Expect so... and that seems to have been stated by the AA CEO at some point...

I'd be if my several 100,000 US miles did NOT slide across!
Old May 29, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Best plan right now is probably to sign up for US and use your US FF #. At some point, the US miles will definitely become AA miles. I'm also pretty sure that if elite qualifying is an issue, you'll be able to change your program choice before you fly.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
Best plan right now is probably to sign up for US and use your US FF #. At some point, the US miles will definitely become AA miles. I'm also pretty sure that if elite qualifying is an issue, you'll be able to change your program choice before you fly.
That's my plan

Thanks for the advice
Old May 29, 2013, 7:44 am

anyone bought the us airways miles recently?

hi, the us airways dividend miles is bogo, and is ending soon, I've been hesitating whether its worth to buy it or not. I might need a round trip to asia next year. but as us airways is merging to aa, no one can absolutely predict whether it will be devaluated...but still, some experienced, can you share some guesses with me, whether its worth to buy the us airways miles now?
Old May 29, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by flyingny
hi, the us airways dividend miles is bogo, and is ending soon, I've been hesitating whether its worth to buy it or not. I might need a round trip to asia next year. but as us airways is merging to aa, no one can absolutely predict whether it will be devaluated...but still, some experienced, can you share some guesses with me, whether its worth to buy the us airways miles now?
Are you talking about buying US miles with cash through the website? Even with the 100% bonus, they're still well above 2 cents per mile, which is more than I'd say they're worth. I'd avoid that. My exception to buying miles is to top off an account for an award - meaning, I have 85k but need 5k more to book that award RT. I might do it speculatively, meaning without a particular trip in mind, if I'm close - but I wouldn't outright buy miles just to have them unless they came in under 2 cents each.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Even with the 100% bonus, they're still well above 2 cents per mile.
Are they? Aren't they (3.5c + 7.5% tax) / 2 = 1.88125 cpm?
Old May 29, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by louie-m
Are they? Aren't they (3.5c + 7.5% tax) / 2 = 1.88125 cpm?
Yup, I'm an idiot that cant do math. You're correct, under 2 cpm.

I think I might have looked at a lower purchase amt with less than a 100% bonus and then just used that as the cost. Either way, I'm totally wrong.
Old May 29, 2013, 3:11 pm

This may have been stated earlier, but since the merger is official, is it fairly safe to start flying on AA and consider those miles inevitably merged? AA has a more convenient route map atm. I'm *Silver w/ US, so I'll miss out on a perk or two, but for a regional flight where no bags are necessary, it doesn't really matter.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 12fly
This may have been stated earlier, but since the merger is official, is it fairly safe to start flying on AA and consider those miles inevitably merged? AA has a more convenient route map atm. I'm *Silver w/ US, so I'll miss out on a perk or two, but for a regional flight where no bags are necessary, it doesn't really matter.
RDM will almost certainly be merged at some point, but right now there's no guarantee when that will happen. Status miles are a bit more sketchy at this point, and if you need those miles to requalify this year, there's some inherent risk that the totals won't be combined between AA and US for this status year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.