Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here's what Doug Parker told CrankyFlier:

http://crankyflier.com/2013/04/30/ac...eworld-part-2/
Prior to US's courtship of AA, Doug (or maybe it was Scott) had stated quite publicly that US would never install E+ because he couldn't see a financial benefit to it. What I'm reading here sounds like posturing. I think that Doug and Scott's mindset is that they'd rather keep charging people (including CP's) money for seats up front with no extra legroom than to adopt the business model which UA, DL & AA have adopted for extra legroom in coach.

The question becomes: Will the surviving AA execs have enough influence to convince Doug and Scott that MCE is an important enough feature to retain (and expand to the US fleet), even if the bean counters "prove" otherwise? I don't have confidence that MCE will survive the merger, but I really hope that I am wrong.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SS255
Will the surviving AA execs have enough influence to convince Doug and Scott that MCE is an important enough feature to retain (and expand to the US fleet), even if the bean counters "prove" otherwise?
That's easy. No.

Doug Parker has consistently made decisions by the numbers and he's not going to change that approach now. If the bean counters 'prove' that MCE doesn't improve the bottom line, not only will US aircraft not be changed, but AA aircraft will be changed -- to get rid of it.

But I don't predict this outcome, as I don't believe the bean counters will be able to prove such a thing. There's a reason CO management adopted it across the board at the New United -- because it was demonstrated that it makes the company money.

Same reasoning is influencing DL.

Make no mistake, Parker will drive his team to figure out how to make the most money possible from MCE, a la the US 'Choice Seats' that absolutely everyone must pay for to secure in advance, but it's hard for me to imagine a circumstance where they abandon it. 1) It's completely counter to how they're positioning the New American; and 2) UA, DL and the current AA are almost assuredly not wrong about its profitability.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Make no mistake, Parker will drive his team to figure out how to make the most money possible from MCE, a la the US 'Choice Seats' that absolutely everyone must pay for to secure in advance, but it's hard for me to imagine a circumstance where they abandon it. 1) It's completely counter to how they're positioning the New American; and 2) UA, DL and the current AA are almost assuredly not wrong about its profitability.
Ditto... I have a feeling it will be retained and expanded to US metal but it won't be free for elites (except maybe EXP/CP). Lower tiers might get a discount but it won't be like at UA where even Silver can snag E+ at check-in.

I'd really love to see a "true" Premium Economy product with domestic F seats similar to BA, CX and QF - and it's something I'd gladly shell out for. Sadly I don't think any US carrier will ever offer that.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Apr 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm
Old May 1, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Doug Parker has consistently made decisions by the numbers and he's not going to change that approach now. If the bean counters 'prove' that MCE doesn't improve the bottom line, not only will US aircraft not be changed, but AA aircraft will be changed -- to get rid of it.

But I don't predict this outcome, as I don't believe the bean counters will be able to prove such a thing. There's a reason CO management adopted it across the board at the New United -- because it was demonstrated that it makes the company money.
Agreed. Parker has changed his mind in the past. That said, I'm not certain keeping MCE at AA is at odds with his previous statement -- US has historically had fairly low yields on its flights as a result of its less commanding market position. That demands packing more people onto planes. A carrier selling more higher-fare seats has more latitude to offer products like Y+ and potentially have the higher average fare offset the slightly lower capacity of the plane.

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Ditto... I have a feeling it will be retained and expanded to US metal but it won't be free for elites (except maybe EXP/CP). Lower tiers might get a discount but it won't be like at UA where even Silver can snag E+ at check-in.
Good luck snagging a decent E+ seat at check-in as a United silver. I've had trouble finding anything but middle E+ seats to *pay* for a week out, on some routes.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dtremit
That said, I'm not certain keeping MCE at AA is at odds with his previous statement -- US has historically had fairly low yields on its flights as a result of its less commanding market position. That demands packing more people onto planes. A carrier selling more higher-fare seats has more latitude to offer products like Y+ and potentially have the higher average fare offset the slightly lower capacity of the plane.
I completely agree with this. In fact, it was a point I meant to make. Parker and Kirby's statements regarding a MCE/E+ product related to US as it exists today (the 'LCC'). The combination with AA changes everything.

You never heard them referring to US like this: "We will be a global carrier and will need to reflect such. Our direct competitors will be Delta and United. To that point, our product will be equal, if not better than that of Delta or United."

I think the decision to adopt MCE across at least the mainline fleet will be easy for him to make if the numbers add up.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I completely agree with this. In fact, it was a point I meant to make. Parker and Kirby's statements regarding a MCE/E+ product related to US as it exists today (the 'LCC'). The combination with AA changes everything.

You never heard them referring to US like this: "We will be a global carrier and will need to reflect such. Our direct competitors will be Delta and United. To that point, our product will be equal, if not better than that of Delta or United."

I think the decision to adopt MCE across at least the mainline fleet will be easy for him to make if the numbers add up.
That and it's hard to be equal or exceed the competition when both have a E+ product and US/AA doesn't. Unless they did something like AA's MRTC back in the day, but I don't see that happening.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Received the "Your First Class upgrade" email for an AA flight. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old May 3, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by burlax
Received the "Your First Class upgrade" email for an AA flight. Does this happen to anyone else?
You've been upgraded on an AA flight as a CP but no AA status??
Old May 3, 2013, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
You've been upgraded on an AA flight as a CP but no AA status??
No, was upgrade ineligible, but I wasn't expecting such an email at all for a non-US flight. Might be a sign that AA and US are working on integrating some systems already.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is it a fare class that qualifies for a free upgrade?
Old May 3, 2013, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
Is it a fare class that qualifies for a free upgrade?
Free upgrades on AA happen only if you're EXP ( UDU on any cash fare ). All other upgrades have to be supported by stickers / miles / SWUs.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Free upgrades on AA happen only if you're EXP ( UDU on any cash fare ). All other upgrades have to be supported by stickers / miles / SWUs.
I was thinking about AA YUP fares (coach fares that qualify for an instant upgrade):
AA "instant upgrade" (YUP / KUP) ticket / fare (consolidated)

If the upgrade is not available at time of purchase, and you have this type coach ticket, couldn't it clear somewhere along the way when a seat opens up? I've never booked one of these to know the fine details, having always relied on my EXP upgrades.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
I was thinking about AA YUP fares (coach fares that qualify for an instant upgrade):
AA "instant upgrade" (YUP / KUP) ticket / fare (consolidated)
. . .
I think those would clear well ahead of the email. Functionally, those are premium fares without benefits premium fares usually have. 'Instantly upgradable fare' is a marketing ploy - same as saying 'high yield debt instruments' instead of 'junk bonds.'
Old May 7, 2013, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
The wisdom of that would depend on how many miles a person has accumulated. Enough for domestic R/T - sure, hold on to them as long as reasonably possible. 750K miles - hard to use up in a short time span if it looks like they may expire before being used.

What I'd suggest as an alternative to "use or lose" for sunnyjl is to keep the miles alive with a minor purchase through DM shopping every year if the intention is to really switch all flying to B6. The miles can be there for a future award while the dust settles from a merger.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the tip. I may be a FF, but I still have a lot to learn, and so little time to actually do the research. Thanks again.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:03 am

Projected date for US move to Oneworld

Is there one yet? Looking at AA or US for an international trip in October-November and wondering about ff miles. I have AA and UA ff accounts, and wife has TAM. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.