Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: iluv2fly
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's Note:

2014 version of this thread can be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536552-mileageplus-premier-qualifying-dollar-pqd-requirement-discussion-thread-2014-a-15.html

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:45 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing some upcoming changes to our Premier qualification requirements for 2014. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ at www.mileageplusupdates.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

Starting in January 2014, Premier qualification for members living in the United States will include a minimum annual spending level. We will track this new requirement with Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) – dollars spent on most United tickets, including partner flights, and Economy Plus purchases. The changes will not affect Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or Premier qualifying segments (PQS). The new criteria will look like this:

• Premier Silver: [25,000 PQM or 30 PQS] and $2,500 PQD
  • Premier Gold: [50,000 PQM or 60 PQS] and $5,000 PQD
  • Premier Platinum: [75,000 PQM or 90 PQS] and $7,500 PQD
  • Premier 1K: [100,000 PQM or 120 PQS] and $10,000 PQD

A minimum of at least four paid flights operated by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines will be needed to qualify for any Premier status.

For 2014, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification for members whose address with MileagePlus is within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and who spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases in 2014 on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted at www.mileageplusupdates.com, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members. In the meantime, if you still have any more questions after going through the FAQ, please post them here and I’ll do my best to clarify.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Moderator Edit to include the following downthread post(s)
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Here’s an update for you (figured it was better to post this now as opposed to morning, even if we’re close to 5pm CDT ). As I mentioned in my earlier note, while many of your questions fall into the category of ‘more details to come’, here are some questions that I’m able to answer for you right now.

Am I guaranteed 016 ticket stock and PQD if I purchase through United.com?
Yes, if it is an eligible United, United Express, Copa Airlines or MileagePlus partner-operated flight segment.

Will a mixed itinerary count if it is ticketed by OA since that's the first segment but later segments are on United?
Do non 016 tickets at least count UA/UA Express segments?
Eligible flight segments operated by United, United Express and Copa Airlines count toward PQD even if on non-016 tickets.

i've already purchased two itineraries for 2014. Please tell me that these purchases - both the miles and the dollars -- will count toward the new qualification requirements.
Yes, PQD counts towards the year in which you take the flight. If you booked a PQD eligible ticket in 2013 with a departure date in 2014, you will earn PQDs towards 2014 qualification upon completing each flight segment. This is how PQM and PQS are applied today.

UA Insider: Can we safely assume YQ is considered a carrier imposed surcharge (can't see how it would not be)?
Yes. In 2014, YQ is a ‘carrier-imposed surcharge’ that we currently intend to include in PQDs.

Aaron - can we assume that spend on a no-longer-offered, legacy Chase card will count towards the waiver? I.e., the old MP Platinum / Select cards?
Yes, so long as it is a MileagePlus Chase co-branded credit card issued in the United States. That includes cards that are no longer marketed to new customers.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 19, 2013 at 7:02 pm Reason: update with addational posting(s)
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: UA GS
Aaand boom goes the dynamite.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Well. Not unexpected. I really think this makes sense and I support this move. I wish AA did it, too. It is a much better model than transactional loyalty on a one-off basis. Now that status is more meaningful, that should bode well for those who fulfill the published criteria.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
From the WSJ thread:

Originally Posted by ChicagoAlex
Interesting indeed. I think he views Delta as the model airline. *snip* PQDs are coming. At least we'll have *A?
How prophetic!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Now that status is more meaningful, that should bode well for those who fulfill the published criteria.
I think that is the part that remains to be seen.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by UA Insider

For 2014, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification for members whose address with MileagePlus is within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and who spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases in 2014 on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification.
Is this an airline? or a bank? What is next? Chase ATM's on the planes as well?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:55 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I assume that these PQD requirements won't apply to those who have lifetime Premier (Gold, Platinum, etc.) status. ?

[Now answered by FAQs as not applicable to MMers, unless they earn a higher level in a particular year.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 18, 2013 at 7:24 am Reason: To update per FAQs

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Thanks for sharing that Aaron, if the criteria is being tightened for qualification can we also assume the benefits of status can also be improved in a meaningful way?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This was not unexpected. I note the numbers are slightly higher than what I expected and that there is no CC spend waiver fr 1k.

At least the spend requirement includes partner flights, as I end up on LH a lot thanks to the ATI arrangement.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
whats this, a sound of all UA elites "moving" to Mexico

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
This was not unexpected. I note the numbers are slightly higher than what I expected and that there is no CC spend waiver fr 1k.

At least the spend requirement includes partner flights, as I end up on LH a lot thanks to the ATI arrangement.
Only if the ticket is booked through UA and has a ticket number starting with 016.

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Well. Not unexpected. I really think this makes sense and I support this move. I wish AA did it, too. It is a much better model than transactional loyalty on a one-off basis. Now that status is more meaningful, that should bode well for those who fulfill the published criteria.
Me too. I think the only people being affected by this would be people who are doing exclusively mileage runs.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Why even have the mileage requirement?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sigh...and so it begins.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Thanks for sharing that Aaron, if the criteria is being tightened for qualification can we also assume the benefits of status can also be improved in a meaningful way?
Yeah right!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Only if the ticket is booked through UA and has a ticket number starting with 016.
Indeed. After following the link to the UA site I fnd this:
Flights operated by a Star Alliance or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
I'm nw quite likely officially screwed Then again I have no idea how much revenue I've been generating...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.