FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]
Old Jun 18, 2013, 6:45 am
UA Insider
Company Representative, United Airlines

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing some upcoming changes to our Premier qualification requirements for 2014. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ at www.mileageplusupdates.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

Starting in January 2014, Premier qualification for members living in the United States will include a minimum annual spending level. We will track this new requirement with Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) – dollars spent on most United tickets, including partner flights, and Economy Plus purchases. The changes will not affect Premier qualifying miles (PQM) or Premier qualifying segments (PQS). The new criteria will look like this:

• Premier Silver: [25,000 PQM or 30 PQS] and $2,500 PQD
  • Premier Gold: [50,000 PQM or 60 PQS] and $5,000 PQD
  • Premier Platinum: [75,000 PQM or 90 PQS] and $7,500 PQD
  • Premier 1K: [100,000 PQM or 120 PQS] and $10,000 PQD

A minimum of at least four paid flights operated by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines will be needed to qualify for any Premier status.

For 2014, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold, and Premier Platinum qualification for members whose address with MileagePlus is within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and who spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases in 2014 on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted at www.mileageplusupdates.com, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members. In the meantime, if you still have any more questions after going through the FAQ, please post them here and I’ll do my best to clarify.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Moderator Edit to include the following downthread post(s)
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Here’s an update for you (figured it was better to post this now as opposed to morning, even if we’re close to 5pm CDT ). As I mentioned in my earlier note, while many of your questions fall into the category of ‘more details to come’, here are some questions that I’m able to answer for you right now.

Am I guaranteed 016 ticket stock and PQD if I purchase through United.com?
Yes, if it is an eligible United, United Express, Copa Airlines or MileagePlus partner-operated flight segment.

Will a mixed itinerary count if it is ticketed by OA since that's the first segment but later segments are on United?
Do non 016 tickets at least count UA/UA Express segments?
Eligible flight segments operated by United, United Express and Copa Airlines count toward PQD even if on non-016 tickets.

i've already purchased two itineraries for 2014. Please tell me that these purchases - both the miles and the dollars -- will count toward the new qualification requirements.
Yes, PQD counts towards the year in which you take the flight. If you booked a PQD eligible ticket in 2013 with a departure date in 2014, you will earn PQDs towards 2014 qualification upon completing each flight segment. This is how PQM and PQS are applied today.

UA Insider: Can we safely assume YQ is considered a carrier imposed surcharge (can't see how it would not be)?
Yes. In 2014, YQ is a ‘carrier-imposed surcharge’ that we currently intend to include in PQDs.

Aaron - can we assume that spend on a no-longer-offered, legacy Chase card will count towards the waiver? I.e., the old MP Platinum / Select cards?
Yes, so long as it is a MileagePlus Chase co-branded credit card issued in the United States. That includes cards that are no longer marketed to new customers.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 19, 2013 at 7:02 pm Reason: update with addational posting(s)