Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Thumbs down Almost All AA frequent flyers???

Originally Posted by CenterWaters
especially considering that almost all AA and US frequent flyers were overjoyed
about the AA/US merger! The court will have to take that into consideration.
Speaking for myself as an AA EXP, I know I am dreading life as an EXP under Doug Parker's US Air regime. I'm relatively certain many EXPs feel similarly.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
A judge can take whatever he/she wants into account, although they should so generally do stay within any established legal precedent.

Jim
Along those lines, isn't it most likely the merger will prevail? (UA and CO being the most recent precedent.)

AFAIK, no one even batted an eyelash when DL bought SQ's 49% stake in VS for $360MM (about 1/3 of what SQ originally paid).
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by frambusch
Speaking for myself as an AA EXP, I know I am dreading life as an EXP under Doug Parker's US Air regime. I'm relatively certain many EXPs feel similarly.
See the poll at the top of the page for US FF's attitudes.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Originally Posted by frambusch
I don't blame you... Don't get me wrong, I love the unlimited upgrades as a Gold on US but in reality the F product on US isn't even close to AA's F product. Especially when considering what AA is doing on her newest birds. The new domestic F on AA is VERY nice.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by coastalguy
Along those lines, isn't it most likely the merger will prevail? (UA and CO being the most recent precedent.)

AFAIK, no one even batted an eyelash when DL bought SQ's 49% stake in VS for $360MM (about 1/3 of what SQ originally paid).
That DOJ let UA and CO merge isn't legal precedent. Only law and court cases count.

There's a difference between going from 6 major competitor to 5 and going from 4 to 3.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Guess again.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Jasper2
The precedent you should look at is that every 7 out of the last 8 mergers went though. There is a LOT of money on the table. (Hint)

None of the arguments put forth by DOJ are any more true of the US Air/American merger than any of the the others that have successfully merged. The fact is that relatively small airlines don't last long when competing against giants. There are few markets that would be affected by the merger--two I believe. DOJ objections are mostly BS. Read them if you don't believe it. Zero factual data, lots of hot air.
Those mergers that went through didn't get sued by the DOJ to stop it, so that's a HUGE difference. Also, the success/failure of one merger has no bearing on this merger. It's a different environment now and you need to look at it from that perspective. You can believe what you want, but at the end of the day, I'd be shocked if this merger goes through.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
about the AA/US merger!
The court will have to take that into consideration.
What evidence do you have of that? If you mean on FT, the informal polls on both forums seem to say the exact opposite.

Also, the emotions of frequent flyers, won't matter one bit to the court.

Last edited by 84fiero; Aug 25, 2013 at 10:11 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:25 pm

Post Merger Dividend Miles Tix

Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone can tell me how I can get help with an issued *A Award Tix for 2014 after the merger has successfully gone through? I mean will AAdvantage help rebook flight or refund unused award tix etc. Anyone knows how these will be handled post merger? Thanks peeps.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by 84fiero
What evidence do you have of that? If you mean on FT, the informal polls on both forums seem to say the exact opposite.

Also, the emotions of frequent flyers, won't matter one bit to the court.
Did I misread the post you're quoting as being sarcastic when he was serious?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Those mergers that went through didn't get sued by the DOJ to stop it, so that's a HUGE difference. Also, the success/failure of one merger has no bearing on this merger. It's a different environment now and you need to look at it from that perspective. You can believe what you want, but at the end of the day, I'd be shocked if this merger goes through.
Your theory would seem to assume there actually will be a full trial, with the Judge ruling in favor of the DOJ's position of "no compromise" - just stop the merger. IMO, very unlikely. The only way I can see this not ending in an acceptable compromise (for AA), is for the Judge to permit the DOJ to cause incessant delays in the judicial process so that Parker and Horton feel it's not worth the effort to continue. I really do not feel the Obama Administration is going to take responsibility for the potential failure of these companies in the next 2 or so years, by taking an intractable position.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I can't take this post as being serious.

With the poll in this thread,of those who voted, ~7 in 10 thought the merger was bad.

With the sibling poll on the AA forum (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post21330028), there were more options, but taking out the 1 in 4 'neutral' voters, of the remaining it was nearly the same with ~6½ in 10 considering it a bad/terrible idea.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Khairul Sufi
Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone can tell me how I can get help with an issued *A Award Tix for 2014 after the merger has successfully gone through? I mean will AAdvantage help rebook flight or refund unused award tix etc. Anyone knows how these will be handled post merger? Thanks peeps.
If the *A ticket has already been issued, if/when the merger takes place, US changes alliances will have NO bearing on your travel; any changes would be made with the carrier issuing the ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
US as a stand alone carrier fits pretty well in OW as well. Remember that US joined Star a decade ago. Before the UA/CO merger. That void in the NE that US filled, is now eclipsed by the pmCO presence out of EWR. AA is still weak on the east coast compared to UA and DL. US in OW fills in that gap. And don't forget that at the time of the UA/CO merger, questions were raised as to whether or not US was going to stay in Star because its relevance in the alliance had been diminished somewhat.
US still has a strangle hold on the SE, with DL being the only other real competition.

Parker also said in the last year that US's membership in *A suited the airline very well - and that was after the UA/CO merger. There isn't much incentive to leave a good thing, especially when there's no guarantee that OW would somehow be better.

While it could conceivably help OW, without some significant benefits, there isn't much reason for US to jump to a weaker alliance. If US is going to play second fiddle to UA or AA regardless. Are the benefits going to offset the disadvantages of being in a weaker alliance? I'm inclined to think not.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by rodsren
because they have to. You cant have one airlines operating under the AA name and 1/2 the flights going to * alliance and AA flights (original) going to OW, right?
Why would they have to absent a merger?

No merger = US doesn't have to do anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.