FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:20 pm
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
When people say one domestic's F product isn't as good as another carrier's, what exactly are we comparing? Leaving the lie-flat JFK-SFO/LAX options out of the mix, I'm not even sure that I can differentiate. US doesn't serve meals on a lot of flights but that's about it. Beyond that, UA has some in-seat power, but the seat itself on the 737-900 I sat in a month ago was hard as a rock compared to the US F seat. Honestly, of US, UA and DL F products (never flew AA F), I'd have a really hard time differentiating on things that actually matter. And to me what matters is having more personal space on the plane.
The lack of meals on shorter flights and the quality of meals offered is a big part. US has had some good meals, and UA's had some nasty ones - my last UA flight in particular comes to mind. That said, I think UA at least tries to give a more first class feel with glasses on all flights, and ice cream sundaes for dessert.

It's not like the competition offers anything stellar, just that US's cheapness tends to show more in F than others.