Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Comp for cancelled flight?

Was on an IAD to ORD flight this week that had a mechanical cancellation due to a frozen water line. Didn't receive a notice for a compensation offer and haven't received an e-mail from UA.

Not the end of the world if I don't get anything but I had the impression from this thread that many of the comp offers came automatically. Should I contact UA?

(They upgauged the subsequent flight from a 319 to an international config 767, so that was nice as I had cleared upgrades from Y both ways.)

Fortunately my connection in ORD was delayed so I was able to catch the original flight, although a couple hours later than originally planned. My bag didn't make it, though, and was put on the later connection. That connection then cancelled and my bag arrived this morning.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Can you put your departure city as ACC?
yes, no video on 767-300 C, cabin. but appreciation worked like a charm in summer 2010. everyone in C got the appreciation card and they forgot my meal too
Old Feb 8, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
SJU - ORD on 1/27/11

The TV monitor was all jacked up, giving funky colors, and making smiley smisek look green. Couldn't really watch the entertainment without getting nauseous. Couple that with a stuck open air vent blowing cold air the whole flight.

Sent a heads up email to the 1K desk, and they sent me a $350 E-cert, unsolicited. Quite a nice surprise. ^^
Old Feb 8, 2011, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ORD Punk

Sent a heads up email to the 1K desk, and they sent me a $350 E-cert, unsolicited. Quite a nice surprise. ^^
Um, are you sure 'unsolicited' is accurate? You contacted them!!!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:17 pm

I didn't request anything. It was just a head's up email. Sometimes, it pays to be nice!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I didn't request anything. It was just a head's up email. Sometimes, it pays to be nice!
True as that may be, on this forum I (and I'm sure others) perceive 'unsolicited' to be synonymous with 'proactive': It describes when UA offers compensation without any contact of any kind from the member regarding the incident. I usually don't overtly ask for compensation when contacting 1K Voice, but if/when I receive it don't consider it unsolicited.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:47 pm

So by sending them an email, telling them about something broken, and how to further improve their product, that is perceived as soliciting UA for compensation? I'll have to disagree if that is the case.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So by sending them an email, telling them about something broken, and how to further improve their product, that is perceived as soliciting UA for compensation? I'll have to disagree if that is the case.
Question -- why would contacting 1KVoice or any other similar e-mail really help fix the aforementioned monitor?
Would not contacting the crew and have them submit a maintenance request be a more direct solution?
Would not contacting 1KVoice be interpreted as a customer dissatisfaction report and the only response would be to ignore or reply with a e-cert? 1KVoice isn't going to dispatch a repair person, so what else would you expect them to do?
Reporting with the idea of bring it to the attention of xxxx of the state of maintenance is hardly needed, UA has all the maintenance data.

Hard to see this as anything other than a complaint with an implied request for compensation.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:43 pm

Again, I'll have to disagree. When I mentioned it to the flight attendant, she said to tell United about it as well. Seeing as how I wasn't sure what other means to comunicate by, I decided to write 1Kvoice, in the hopes that they would pass the information on the proper people.
But you folks go right ahead and assume you know me, and my intentions...
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: United 1K ; Marriott Titanium (Lifetime)
Flew home from Super Bowl on Monday DFW-ORD-BWI on an award ticket with Mrs. hillta1

First segment was delayed; missed connection and caught later flight from ORD-BWI (~3 hours later).

Next day I receive...

Dear Mr. hillta1

Please accept my personal apologies for the delay and misconnection when you flew from Chicago to Baltimore.

You were inconvenienced and this runs counter to our team efforts to run a great airline. To assure you of our intentions to improve your next trip with us, I'm depositing 9,000 award miles into your Mileage Plus account.

Sincerely,

xxxx
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hillta1
First segment was delayed; missed connection and caught later flight from ORD-BWI (~3 hours later).
Wish I had received such consideration back in December. Flight from DEN-IAD was 1.5 hours late (because they were bringing in our plane from the paint factory in ABQ) so I missed my connection by seconds. When we pulled up to the gate, I could see the plane next to us, with ground equipment still around it. I was #2 off the plane and literally ran to the gate, but was denied. I had to wait 5 hours for the next flight to BDL.

All I got for my trouble was a snotty "you should have been here on time" from the GA.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Again, I'll have to disagree. When I mentioned it to the flight attendant, she said to tell United about it as well. Seeing as how I wasn't sure what other means to comunicate by, I decided to write 1Kvoice, in the hopes that they would pass the information on the proper people.
But you folks go right ahead and assume you know me, and my intentions...
I agree with you ORD Punk. I have often sent suggestions to United with out ever thinking about "compensation".
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Um, are you sure 'unsolicited' is accurate? You contacted them!!!
Anyone who has communicated with UA in the past should know that just about any e-mail to 1KVoice results in compensation. Sometimes even when you praise a flight or experience...

ORD Punk, whether you knew it or not, now you do.

If something goes wrong (which happens quite a bit) I do not send a heads-up to UA because I don't want to be put on the "chronic complainer/compensation" list.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying IAD-RDU last Saturday on the 10 PM flight, plane kept getting progressively more delayed and the gate agents were awful. They called for m/x at 9:45 and they didn't show up until Midnight, and while they knew no one had showed up, they kept making announcements like "our new departure time is 10:30 PM". They would also wander away from the gate and laughed/talked amongst themselves instead of answering questions. Once we boarded the pilot told us the plane (E70) had no ground start capabilities and Ops knew this but parked us at a gate without a start cart. They couldn't find one for us until after midnight.

I emailed to complain and received a $150 E-Cert.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
I was delayed 5 hrs due to mechanical issues from LAX to SLC on Feb 5, I mention what inconvenience this was since I should be skiing in Park City about right now, she sent me an customer appreciation email to choose 7,000 miles, $150 ecert or 20% off.
Then after my flight I get another customer appreciation to fill out the flt# and info and wait for a response, 2 days later they sent a $150 ecert.
Now can I still choose the first c/a email and get that compensation?
Has this happen to anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.