Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I don't think UA should ever give compensation (e-certs/miles) to NRSAs. You're not making any money for United, so doubt they care about keeping you loyal. E-Certs and goodwill gestures are geared towards paying passengers.
I think the prior poster was talking about times flying paid fares, not flying NRSA.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
$500 e-cert for UAL baggage handlers kindly stripping one of two handles off my lovely leather roller bag. Hey - I still have a handle AND I have a free ticket to boot!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by rally
I have NEVER got an email from UA offering me anything, even after 7 and 9 hour delays,

Do I need to change something on my UA profile to get these ?

thanks for the info

Rally
Nope. If UA wants to send you compensation, they you'll get it.

Originally Posted by ddg77aoe1
$500 e-cert for UAL baggage handlers kindly stripping one of two handles off my lovely leather roller bag. Hey - I still have a handle AND I have a free ticket to boot!
How do you know that "UAL baggage handlers" stripped the handle from your bag? Could it have been the belt? Either way, how did you prove that to UA? I'm surprised they would issue comp for a checked bag..
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Nope. If UA wants to send you compensation, they you'll get it.

How do you know that "UAL baggage handlers" stripped the handle from your bag? Could it have been the belt? Either way, how did you prove that to UA? I'm surprised they would issue comp for a checked bag..
Because I'm apparently tremendously charming. UAL has treated me very well (absolutely zero sarcasm) over the last year, and I am thankful.

I didn't have to prove anything. Walked up to friendly rep at baggage kiosk at SEA, explained that (a) bag had 2 handles when I checked it and (b) bag had 1 handle upon delivery (and yes, the leather and metal fragments hanging from the side showed where said handle had formerly been attached). Prompt response was "we don't cover that, but let me give you something for your trouble." E-mail arrived 2 mins later offering me $500 e-cert or 22K miles.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ddg77aoe1
Because I'm apparently tremendously charming. UAL has treated me very well (absolutely zero sarcasm) over the last year, and I am thankful.

I didn't have to prove anything. Walked up to friendly rep at baggage kiosk at SEA, explained that (a) bag had 2 handles when I checked it and (b) bag had 1 handle upon delivery (and yes, the leather and metal fragments hanging from the side showed where said handle had formerly been attached). Prompt response was "we don't cover that, but let me give you something for your trouble." E-mail arrived 2 mins later offering me $500 e-cert or 22K miles.
^

Interesting. I think this is the first time that I have ever heard of somebody being reimbursed for a damaged bag..
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, H.H. Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, Enterprise Plat, Avis Pres Club
SEA Bag agents

+ 1
I've found the bag kiosk at SEA to have some of the most courteous employees I have ever encountered.

I was flying home from MLI (via ORD) to SEA last year and 20 minutes before boarding noticed my bag tag said it was heading to SAN instead of SEA. The check in agent at MLI got frazzled and Mr. SEA's tags went to Mr. SAN and vice versa.

Long story short after multiple conversations with gate agents, call centers, CSRs the bag somehow actually got to SEA, but as I waited for it the woman at the bag kiosk filled out my claim completely for me, and was very attentive. She actually spotted my bag from my description before I did.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Ambassador
has anyone had this experience before?

last night i was on the phone with mileage plus calling about transferring miles and was told at the end of my conversation with the CSR that i had a pending appreciation email (from a sfo-hkg flight in december) that didn't go through and would be resent to me in 24 hours. i had forgot about this, but IIRC during my flight i had a broken reading light that wouldn't turn off and the purser said she would report it to maintenance, who would then issue me a email in which i could choose compensation.

this is unexpected, but makes me wonder if other people had the same experience with compensation emails being delayed about 3 weeks?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I don't think UA should ever give compensation (e-certs/miles) to NRSAs. You're not making any money for United, so doubt they care about keeping you loyal. E-Certs and goodwill gestures are geared towards paying passengers.
WOW...How RUDE...Why don't you read posts carefully before making judgments...but...but I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I don't think that's what usa18dca meant. I think he was flying revenue this time but is saying he knew that the placement of NRSAs in first was shenanigans based on his experience (as indicated by the fact that he himself has flown NRSA).
You're correct...I am a former UAX Employee and current travel-eligible.
I spoke to one of the NRSAs and she acknowledged that the Gate Agent had told her all standbys had cleared for First so Shenanigans here...it's sad to see that UA doesn't care about this...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:08 pm

I got 15-18 x e-certificates in 2010 for various complaints/delays/mechanical failures etc. I was a Premier then. Now when I call the mileage plus customer service for any complaints, they say 'too many complaints in your file'.

Now I am a Premier Exec. and don't receive response for my online complaint either or no compensation when I call. They simply say you go online and file a complaint at United customer appreciation. No compensation since November. I am sad. Did I go over board in 2010? Even I haven't called them these 3 months, thinking they may do any damage to my MP account. Does United has the right not to compensate me? Or should I call them.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-too-much.html

You are not the first this has happened to and 15+ ecerts with only enough flying to be 2P seems excessive. Since they never had to compensate you for anything and do it for goodwill, of course they have a right not to compensate you if they think it's costing them money (exception being things like IDB were they are required to by law).
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by soap_bubbles
I got 15-18 x e-certificates in 2010 for various complaints/delays/mechanical failures etc. I was a Premier then. Now when I call the mileage plus customer service for any complaints, they say 'too many complaints in your file'.

Now I am a Premier Exec. and don't receive response for my online complaint either or no compensation when I call. They simply say you go online and file a complaint at United customer appreciation. No compensation since November. I am sad. Did I go over board in 2010? ...
I can not make a value judgement but I would suspect you are a 5-sigma case (in other terms, you have requested compensation far, far more than most customers.

...Even I haven't called them these 3 months, thinking they may do any damage to my MP account. Does United has the right not to compensate me? ...
yes, there is no requirement to compensation

...Or should I call them.
you could but you may have to make a choice --- do you want to fly UA or do you want to make claims?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-flagged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-customer.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2011 at 8:25 pm Reason: another thread
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
I was on UA888 PEK-SFO on Saturday (1/22) and when we arrive in SFO I was surprised to have an appreciation Email waiting for me. We had some turbulence coming in so the breakfast service was very quick. The Email said that they were giving compensation becuase "they were not able to serve breakfast becuase of the turbulence" (not true). Anyhow, I ended up getting a $250 E cert.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:56 pm

DEN-PDX last Saturday - my seat's audio port didn't work. Choices were:

$250 domestic
20% domestic/international
10,000 miles
Old Jan 25, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
tried to convert and ecert and got a warning

I got a large $350 ecert recently for a mechanical. I tried to get it converted to an int'l voucher, but got this odd message. is the below a warning? I got a little upset since I never emailed to complain - they were auto given to me for various mechanical issues from Appreciate site. I wrote back later and chewed them out.

International certificates are issued to customers who reside outside of the United States. If you have recently moved or your primary address is in ____ may I suggest that you update your Mileage Plus Account. I do notice that you have been given quite a few gestures of appreciation and goodwill in the past few months. It may be to your benefit to update your address, so as to be compensated appropriately in the future.

Your request to exchange this certificate for an international discount certificate is appreciated but regretfully I must decline the exchange. We appreciate your business as a 1K member and ask for your understanding in this matter.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
My United mainline flight had a long rolling mechanical delay culminating in a cancellation and overnight hotel stay in Puerto Vallerta two nights ago, they flew in a part and mechanics from Mexico City that night and had us back in Denver the next morning, about 15 hours after the initially scheduled arrival. Had a pretty wild time with my friends at the all-inclusive beachfront resort that they bussed us to for the overnight, it stunk that we wasted 6 hours at the airport before they finally canceled the flight but I think they handled the overnight accommodations to the best of their ability. Nonetheless I was surprised that there was no announcement about compensation made, nor any kits handed out, nor e-mail waiting when I got back to the states. Others in the gate area were talking about having much more serious situations than I (kids with no one to look after them, important meetings, etc) and I would have thought they would offer blanket compensation.

Any chance something will still come through, or is it too late to expect that at this point? I had a 4 hour mechanical delay out of LGA a few years ago and was given 15k miles as far as I remember, automatically via an e-mail waiting for me on arrival. Surprised at the inconsistency here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.