Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Attempted to redeem a couple of 10% Optathlon e-certs but kept getting error messages (typical). Emailed 1kvoice and a rep responded a day later saying that they expired in Dec 2010. I didn't realize that but as a goodwill gesture received two $100 e-certs instead...certainly better than 10% and above the call of duty.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P SPG Gold
In-Op power plug LHR-IAD new 777, emailed my voice and they sent me a $200 voucher!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
the 757 issues with my delay, I got a $300 ecert
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Attempted to redeem a couple of 10% Optathlon e-certs but kept getting error messages (typical). Emailed 1kvoice and a rep responded a day later saying that they expired in Dec 2010. I didn't realize that but as a goodwill gesture received two $100 e-certs instead...certainly better than 10% and above the call of duty.
Wow. How long can this go on?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Originally Posted by jason8612
the 757 issues with my delay, I got a $300 ecert
How long/inconvenient was your delay? Mine was 2.5 hrs & only got $150.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by travelsavant
How long/inconvenient was your delay? Mine was 2.5 hrs & only got $150.
I wouldn't try to assign any rhyme or reason to it. After reading through this thread, there clearly isn't consistency -- some cases of excessive compensation for truly trivial things and other cases where compensation was nowhere near sufficient.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

6 1/2 hour delay on HNL-LAX flight. Folks who arrived at 5:30am for 6:45am flight were not amused. $250 ecert.

I've seen folks get more for shorter delays in this thread. I do wonder how it is determined.

I am 1K 1MM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
I really like the new business class flat-bed seat. However, on flights earlier this month, my seats didn't function (could not recline/lie flat) in 13A from TPE to NRT (UA838/N180UA) and (could not recline/lie flat and the footrest was stuck in the up position) in 10K from SFO to NRT (UA837/N128UA).

In both incidences, the chief purser tried to reboot the seats to no avail. It was not a big issue on the TPE-NRT flight (UA838) as I was later able to switch to another seat from NRT to SFO. It was frustrating on the SFO-NRT flight (UA837) because I was stuck in a very uncomfortable position with the footrest being up all the way over the Pacific and the flight was full. I really felt I didn't get my money's worth on the latter flight and the 3000-mile appareciation just doesn't seem enough of a compensation. Oh well.

The flat-bed seat is great when it works though. ^ Hurry up, UA, on the 777, please.

I know I'm not supposed to double post. I should've posted the above in this thread rather than the "Where to sit on the 747" thread. Sorry.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
What? 3,000 appreciation miles? Must be the lowest appreciation I have ever heard of from UA!

Originally Posted by jazzhou
I really like the new business class flat-bed seat. However, on flights earlier this month, my seats didn't function (could not recline/lie flat) in 13A from TPE to NRT (UA838/N180UA) and (could not recline/lie flat and the footrest was stuck in the up position) in 10K from SFO to NRT (UA837/N128UA).

In both incidences, the chief purser tried to reboot the seats to no avail. It was not a big issue on the TPE-NRT flight (UA838) as I was later able to switch to another seat from NRT to SFO. It was frustrating on the SFO-NRT flight (UA837) because I was stuck in a very uncomfortable position with the footrest being up all the way over the Pacific and the flight was full. I really felt I didn't get my money's worth on the latter flight and the 3000-mile appareciation just doesn't seem enough of a compensation. Oh well.

The flat-bed seat is great when it works though. ^ Hurry up, UA, on the 777, please.

I know I'm not supposed to double post. I should've posted the above in this thread rather than the "Where to sit on the 747" thread. Sorry.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by lax2010
What? 3,000 appreciation miles? Must be the lowest appreciation I have ever heard of from UA!
Another change..."and I think you will like".

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Feb 22, 2011 at 11:23 pm
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by lax2010
In all due fairness to UA, it was I who chose, on my own free will, the 3,000-mile token of appreciation from the thingy (postcard thing) that the purser hands out for online registration and decision on how to be compensated when there's a problem on the flight. I registered and decided while in transit at the NRT RCC as soon as alighted from the SFO-NRT flight. I can't remember now what the other two offers were, but they didn't seem worthier than the 3,000 miles which is...

Of course, it would be much to my satisfaction if UA could refund part of the airfare for the transoceanic flights where the flat-bed seat didn't work, but I was, nevertheless, served in all their best effort the business-class-style service for which I've come to appreciate on UA, and I ate the food, drank the wine(s), watched the movies, listened to the music... After all, I didn't refuse the other service provided and walk off the plane at 38,000 feet. So, I guess I should appreciate the extra 3,000 miles in my account.

I still like UA and even more so with CO under the same wings.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
2.5 hour mechanical delay, 10k miles deposit, no choice.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Non-working IFE video for many folks on an IAD-FRA 777 (N778UA), purser distributed the "appreciation" cards to those that were having trouble. She first suggested we could move to other seats where it was working, but we decided to keep 21HJ. When we logged in, I (a 1P) had the option of a $150 domestic e-cert, 10% off or 7,500 RDMs. My GM wife had similar options but only a $75 e-cert or 3,000 RDMs. We both went for the domestic e-certs.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
2.5 hour mechanical delay, 10k miles deposit, no choice.
That's more like the AA method of comp, from what I know (i.e., miles & no choice)
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UNITED863
That's more like the AA method of comp, from what I know (i.e., miles & no choice)
I've had it on United too. 9,000 mile deposit for a misconnect, no choice or email notification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.