Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2011 Edition [Compensation] (Merged).

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
FS-Mom flew UA738 (DEN-MCO) yesterday. The 757 had a problem pressurizing the rear door, so they were moved to a a new aircraft, and ended up arriving over two hours late.

As a 1P, she was given $200, 10%, 9K RDMs.. She did ask for a skykit on-board, and the FAs were happy to give her one. They did not give them to anybody else.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1k
What exactly comes in a "skykit"?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:36 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chandler69
It's just a postcard-sized paper which says something like "Customer Appreciation," has some basic apology text & instructions, and most importantly, a serial # you enter on the united.com/appreciation site (which will trigger the site's offering of compensation vs. just sending the reported issue to the bit bucket).

There's an image of one somewhere around here.

FAs know them these days as "customer appreciation cards," though I have heard several FAs & pursers claim they "don't have those anymore" of late. (Which I don't believe is correct--just those particular crew not wanting to give out compensation for whatever issue / reason the pax complained about.)
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
There's an image of one somewhere around here.[/QUOTE]

I received this for no music on SYD-SFO..
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
with a skykit does it matter if you are 1k , 1P or 2P as far as what is offered ?

and is it your status when its given to you or when you turn it in ?

thanks for the info

Rally
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rally
with a skykit does it matter if you are 1k , 1P or 2P as far as what is offered ?

and is it your status when its given to you or when you turn it in ?

thanks for the info

Rally
Yes, compensation is different, depending on your elite status. 1K might get $200-$250, while 2P might only get $100..
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
It's just a postcard-sized paper which says something like "Customer Appreciation," has some basic apology text & instructions, and most importantly, a serial # you enter on the united.com/appreciation site (which will trigger the site's offering of compensation vs. just sending the reported issue to the bit bucket).

There's an image of one somewhere around here.

FAs know them these days as "customer appreciation cards," though I have heard several FAs & pursers claim they "don't have those anymore" of late. (Which I don't believe is correct--just those particular crew not wanting to give out compensation for whatever issue / reason the pax complained about.)
Ahh, okay, that is exactly what I was offered on mine for the change in equipment for C Class to ICN (as well as everyone in C Class around me). I thought perhaps it was something different than what I recieved, but its simply the same thing.. Whats interesting is that it didnt ask me to login to MP first though and there was no reference to my status. So, is the tiered offer "friendlyskies" is referrring to already baked in to the serial #?

Thanks all!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh, okay, that is exactly what I was offered on mine for the change in equipment for C Class (as well as everyone in C Class around me)... Whats interesting is that it didnt ask me to login to MP first though and there was no reference to my status. So, is the tiered offer "friendlyskies" is referrring to already baked in to the serial #?

Thanks all!
On the United.com/appreciation, there is a box to enter MP #.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
On the United.com/appreciation, there is a box to enter MP #.
Ahhh, yup, your right. Okay, thanks again..... First time ive ever been compensated other than volunteering to take different flight due to oversell. Feel like a total noob and been flying UA for years.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Two-class 777 on HNL-SFO yesterday had busted audio for video presentation. Appreciation cards were distributed. I got the standard expected offer:

9,000 miles / $200 Region 1 e-cert / 10% Systemwide Economy e-cert

Took the $200. Definitely worth the trouble given that this trip was mostly paid for with an e-cert and the movie I missed was Megamind.

The first sign of trouble was when there was no PA audio for the safety demo. The purser paused on $MI/J's grin and announced, "This is Jeff. You can't hear him, but he belongs to us now."
Old Feb 3, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
I had a 15-hour (overnight) delay due to a mechanical issue on an international flight (PVR->DEN) last week. Appreciation cards were not distributed and I was too tired/hung over to think to ask for one. I submitted an Appreciation message on their site without the code but entered my FF and flight #. It's been a week and I have heard nothing. Did I basically miss the boat or is there still a chance for compensation?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:01 pm

I sent in a complaint recently very specifically indicating I did not want compensation but still felt the issue (whole plane's busted IFE, a lot of reading lights out, apathetic crew handling of the issue) worth sharing with UA.

The note I got back was actually pretty good in content, hitting on all my points and explaining they're working on instituting a new maintenance policy to check things like seat function, IFE, etc., over a more frequent interval.

And a "even though you specifically didn't want compensation, here's $200 for a valued 1K" tidbit, too.

Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier
I had a 15-hour (overnight) delay due to a mechanical issue on an international flight (PVR->DEN) last week. Appreciation cards were not distributed and I was too tired/hung over to think to ask for one. I submitted an Appreciation message on their site without the code but entered my FF and flight #. It's been a week and I have heard nothing. Did I basically miss the boat or is there still a chance for compensation?
If you don't have the skykit serial # and the site doesn't automatically recognize your flight (e.g. neither operations nor the captain sent in the necessary info), chances are slim you'll get anything from the appreciation site--seems like those complaints go straight into the bit bucket.

You could always send the appropriate customer relations address (1K Voice, etc.) an inquiry / complaint.

Not automatically sending apology e-mails or handing out appreciation forms, etc., for a 15-hour international delay is the typical inconsistency one expects from UA, though. You'll see a 2-hour delay on a domestic flight generate apology e-mails to the whole flight, and then you get an overnight delay on an international one and nada.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
You could always send the appropriate customer relations address (1K Voice, etc.) an inquiry / complaint.
I used to be 2P but now travel less frequently, what's the address for a lowly GM (or is it just not worth it?)
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
I've been surprised that sometimes if you go to united.com/appreciation (without invitation) and enter your flight information, compensation is sometimes offered -- their system already knows that the flight had a problem.

But this time, my compensation was offered unrequested by a telephone agent (domestic call center). On a mini-MR, I was flying MCI-DEN-SFO-SEA. The MCI-DEN flight went MX the day before and I was auto-rebooked MCI-SFO nonstop. I did lose my already confirmed UDUs on mainline planes only to be waitlisted on a CR7. But I was still on the same SFO-SEA flight, and my upgrade on the CR7 cleared. For my "inconvenience," the agent offered me a $300 ecert (I don't recall the other choices, but I think they were standard.)

Funny thing, I was only taking the flight because I had a $250 ecert to burn before it expired...
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier
I used to be 2P but now travel less frequently, what's the address for a lowly GM (or is it just not worth it?)
Might be customervoice @ united.com though I'm not sure off the top of my head - you could also use the "Contact Us" form on United.com.

And yes, if I were a GM, I'd think a 15-hour international delay would be worth something to drive my future business to United (which is the whole point of the e-certs IMHO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.