Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
he was asking about upgrading from Y-->Biz on the A380. Q fare is a LH economy fare class.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by epiding
he was asking about upgrading from Y-->Biz on the A380. Q fare is a LH economy fare class.
You are spot on...I was after info on Economy to Biz!!

Thanks for the info so far re load on the NRT route and also the weather in Japan.

Do you know any sites you can check the passenger loads of the flights?

Would I request the Upgrade for the FRA-NRT upgrade in Manchester, UK as this is where I am flying from? Never used a paper upgrade before!!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pk1_efc
...Do you know any sites you can check the passenger loads of the flights? ...
Do not know of any airline or site that publicly offers load info for up coming flights.
You can use of number of tools to see the sales inventory for many airlines(capped at a max of 4 to 9 depending on the airline). Flightstats is a free one, KVS or EF paid subscription tools, some airlines like UA provide it on their sites.

... Would I request the Upgrade for the FRA-NRT upgrade in Manchester, UK as this is where I am flying from? Never used a paper upgrade before!!
Generally you need to do this at the departing airport, but some have reported success in being put on the list at an earlier same day airport (always worth a try)
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That's generally considered proprietary information. I don't think any airline is going to make that public.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: United 1K
Sorry...I think I worded the question incorrectly. I was actually wondering if there was a site like on UA's website where you can see how many "C" or F seats there are or NC on a particular flught/route etc. Not actually their loads, as this would give an indication of potential success for the upgrade.

I think one site was seat count or something like that???
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sorry...I think I worded the question incorrectly. I was actually wondering if there was a site like on UA's website where you can see how many "C" or F seats there are or NC on a particular flught/route etc. Not actually their loads, as this would give an indication of potential success for the upgrade.

seatcounter.com is dead

On united.com you can see the number of seat available for sale (maybe more than the number of empty seats) and you can see the seat that have been assigned (realizing not every booking has an assigned seat). detials on this are in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html

also
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
....You can use of number of tools to see the sales inventory for many airlines(capped at a max of 4 to 9 depending on the airline). Flightstats is a free one, KVS or EF paid subscription tools, some airlines like UA provide it on their sites....
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-ual-com.html
Old Apr 18, 2011, 2:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
There's a thread on the Lufthansa board that suggests C to F upgrades on the A388 are not allowed with UA SWU. Does that seem right? Match with folks' experiences?
You cannot make confiremd upgrade or award bookings on the A380 unless you are a SEN/HON elite on LH M&M.

Sameday standby upgrades can be done with the UA paper SWUs if there is space on the day of departure.

LH publishes their availability in the various GDS just like any other airline. The problem is that they have a very dynamic system that shows you different numbers depending on the point of origin (POO), the point of sale (POS) and the final routing (search for 'married segment' for more info). They don't differentiate within the award fare class, so its just X/I/O for Y/C/F class awards and upgrades. No NC stuff to be had in LH.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 18, 2011 at 9:46 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Is it possible to arrive >4 hours at LAX LH check-in for paper SWU attempt?

I plan to be at LAX about 6 hours before an LH flight with paper SWU in hand, then run some errands and return to LAX closer to departure. UA MP told me 1st to call LH and tell them to put me on some sort of waiting list then expect to present the paper cert at the airport where an upgrade may be available. Called LH and they said they have no idea what UA meant about this purported list (from what I read on FT, I was wondering the same when I spoke to UA ). LH agent said that I should get to LAX 4 hours ahead of departure to request the upgrade and have the best chance to get upgraded.

I am trying to get to F from C, so my question is if I get there 6 hours pre-flight, should I go to the F lounge and present my SWU? Will they accept it that early?

Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by weezl
I plan to be at LAX about 6 hours before an LH flight with paper SWU in hand, then run some errands and return to LAX closer to departure. UA MP told me 1st to call LH and tell them to put me on some sort of waiting list then expect to present the paper cert at the airport where an upgrade may be available. Called LH and they said they have no idea what UA meant about this purported list (from what I read on FT, I was wondering the same when I spoke to UA ). LH agent said that I should get to LAX 4 hours ahead of departure to request the upgrade and have the best chance to get upgraded.

I am trying to get to F from C, so my question is if I get there 6 hours pre-flight, should I go to the F lounge and present my SWU? Will they accept it that early?

Thank you!
You can go in there on the day of travel and request the upgrade at check-in. That's what I did in BOS and just return later with your luggage.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Azurik
You can go in there on the day of travel and request the upgrade at check-in. That's what I did in BOS and just return later with your luggage.
Thank you. It is a 2PM flight; how early will the LH staff be there to do this for me without giving me trouble for being "too early"?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I use ExpertFlyer. It doesn't give a complete picture but you get some idea. What's the date of your flight?

Would I request the Upgrade for the FRA-NRT upgrade in Manchester, UK as this is where I am flying from? Never used a paper upgrade before!!
Check-in staff in MAN are not LH staff. I'm afraid I don't know whether they will be able to put you on a grading list but you can at least ask.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by weezl
Thank you. It is a 2PM flight; how early will the LH staff be there to do this for me without giving me trouble for being "too early"?
No one will give you trouble for being there 'early'. The counter should open around 11 am.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by Azurik
Do all passengers on itin have to be there on 1st visit to do this?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
No one will give you trouble for being there 'early'. The counter should open around 11 am.
That helps. I was planning on heading over at 8AM then doing errands, but if the counter only opens at 11AM, it would have been a waste of time.

Or would it? Can I get my BP online and then go to the F lounge to request the upgrade at 8AM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.