FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1146350-consolidated-lufthansa-upgrade-ua-swu-questions-experiences-thread-2010-11-a.html)

oliver2002 Nov 9, 2010 1:10 am

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Originally Posted by epiding (Post 14923419)
had trouble using a friend's UA-LH upgrade certificate to upgrade my LH flight this weekend. the check-in agent insisted my friend be present or show ID, and wouldn't budge. even asked the supervisor (at BOS).

1) is having a friend sign the voucher over to me okay usually to use it?
2) should i have gone to the GA or lounge agent and ask them instead of front ticket agent?

its a long thread- maybe answered before, but assistance welcome. thanks.

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 14934389)
There's no where on the voucher to sign it over. Some people do include a signed letter authorizing the transfer. I suppose in BOS it would have to come with a notarized copy of ones ID with a signature. :rolleyes:

The check-in agent was wrong. The SWU clearly says it is fully transferable. Yes, when you fail to get upgraded at check in you try the lounge, and then you try to GA. Eventually you find someone, even if an American, who understands English. Your friend should complain to UA and LH.

That said I've never attempted to use a paper SWU much less a paper SWU from a friend for flights ex-U.S., but on this thread you run into lots of U.S-based LH personnel who make up rules as they go along. I once had quibbling in the FRA FCL, but I pointed out the "full transferable" language, and all was well.

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 15064402)
Does anyone have experience / success information upgrading SEA-FRA or FRA-SEA on day of departure with paper certificates?

A little update:
Tried to use SWUs to go C->F at SEA on Sunday. The incident at BOS mentioned above is true. LH NYC (HQ Americas) has sent a circular to all 17 stations in N. America instructing DMs to only approve upgrades using the paper SWU issued by UA if the sponsoring member is physically present and approves the use of the instrument (the same procedure as if you would sponsor a M&M miles upgrade at the airport for someone else). The reason cited in the circular was that United noticed an active trading of the paper SWUs on ebay. The statement on the SWU clearly says 'Certificate is transferable but void if bartered or sold.' The DM said they have no way of verifying the statement unless the owner of the cert approves its use in person.

It seems the inflation of SWUs in last years DEQM promo has caused a flood of these to be used. :(

[Moderator's Note - Older posts on this topic may be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-archive.html

AVIZ Nov 9, 2010 8:04 am

Krk - muc -ewr :

I'm flying LH on a CO ticket number. Hoping to use a UA SWU to upgrade both legs. Question is - Will they be able to process this in KRK or will I have to wait until I reach MUC (which is a tight connection)? Also, will I have any issues because it's a CO ticket?

Thanks!
AZ

mre5765 Nov 9, 2010 8:23 am

Originally Posted by ash_79 (Post 15030483)
At the same time, is there any concerns while trying to upgrade a UA metal flight using SWU on a LH ticket (for the UA leg) ?
Can i do that easily online ?

It has been reported in this forum that it does not work online, but does work at the gate, and it has been reported that it can be made to work online.

Originally Posted by AVIZ (Post 15104621)
I'm flying LH on a CO ticket number. Hoping to use a UA SWU to upgrade both legs.

You need two paper SWUs, one per leg.

Question is - Will they be able to process this in KRK or will I have to wait until I reach MUC (which is a tight connection)? Also, will I have any issues because it's a CO ticket?

It is unlikely they will process MUC->EWR at the KRK station because it is a standby at the station instrument.

The terms and conditions clearly say that flights on LH metal marketed by other airlines are applicable to the UA paper SWU for LH.

f0zzyNUE Nov 9, 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 15104767)
It is unlikely they will process MUC->EWR at the KRK station because it is a standby at the station instrument.

the only way is that KRK contacts the Flight Manager of the MUC->EWR flight, which is not very likely ;). that worked for me in NUE for an upgrade FRA->JFK

TPA us ff Nov 10, 2010 6:09 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 15103162)
A little update:
Tried to use SWUs to go C->F at SEA on Sunday. The incident at BOS mentioned above is true. LH NYC (HQ Americas) has sent a circular to all 17 stations in N. America instructing DMs to only approve upgrades using the paper SWU issued by UA if the sponsoring member is physically present and approves the use of the instrument.

Thanks for the update. Do you have any sense of whether this is a hard and fast rule? Or do the agents retain discretion if a letter is present from the assigning friend or if the upgrade cabin is wide open?

Is there any way to get a LH PNR comment entered in advance to avoid this?

entropy Nov 10, 2010 7:19 am

Just an anecdotal experience, but I posted earlier a query regarding upgrading from an outstation (I was flying TLV-OS-VIE-LH-FRA-LH-BOS). I went to the HON desk (there was no line) @ TLV and they did it on the spot (FRA-bOS, there were a bunch of seats open though...). So, YMMV..

pterosaur Nov 10, 2010 7:57 am

Question is - Will they be able to process this in KRK?

Just ask at check in. I didn't have a problem for WAW-FRA-EWR, received upgrade in WAW, however that was LH ticket.

epiding Nov 10, 2010 9:08 am

A little update:
Tried to use SWUs to go C->F at SEA on Sunday. The incident at BOS mentioned above is true. LH NYC (HQ Americas) has sent a circular to all 17 stations in N. America instructing DMs to only approve upgrades using the paper SWU issued by UA if the sponsoring member is physically present and approves the use of the instrument (the same procedure as if you would sponsor a M&M miles upgrade at the airport for someone else). The reason cited in the circular was that United noticed an active trading of the paper SWUs on ebay. The statement on the SWU clearly says 'Certificate is transferable but void if bartered or sold.' The DM said they have no way of verifying the statement unless the owner of the cert approves its use in person.

It seems the inflation of SWUs in last years DEQM promo has caused a flood of these to be used. :(

That's unfortunate. But what if you 'suddenly remembered' at the gate you had an LH SWU, and ask the GA to apply the upgrade? your companion obviously can't be present post-security to be next to you. Lounge agents and GAs should be able to apply it right?

In Europe at least, they never had a probably applying it at the gate. Hope N.Am. agents can do it gate-side.

Maxwell Smart Nov 12, 2010 6:27 pm

United doesn't know about this yet, if true

Just got off the phone with both Mileage Plus and the 1K desk. They told me they have no such news about the in-person requirement for printed SWU's. The 1K agent said her supervisor called LH while I was on hold, and was told there was nothing like this in effect. All they suggested is that the name of recipient be written on the certificate.

However, since it sounds like this might be a very new policy, they simply may not have disseminated it yet.

Pretty ridiculous policy if it's true, and thoroughly impractical for those us that don't reside in an LH gateway city!

ande777emt Nov 12, 2010 9:16 pm

I gave my 2 most recent SWU's to my dad for LH C > F and he successfully used one for ORD-FRA-SIN on Monday. I gave a note with my signature just in case they had that requirement and he said the LH person heard a rumor of a new policy but said my note with my signature would be good enough for them.

I'll hear on his return tomorrow afternoon on his return to ORD whether it worked or not.

epiding Nov 13, 2010 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart (Post 15130153)
Just got off the phone with both Mileage Plus and the 1K desk. They told me they have no such news about the in-person requirement for printed SWU's. The 1K agent said her supervisor called LH while I was on hold, and was told there was nothing like this in effect. All they suggested is that the name of recipient be written on the certificate.

However, since it sounds like this might be a very new policy, they simply may not have disseminated it yet.

Pretty ridiculous policy if it's true, and thoroughly impractical for those us that don't reside in an LH gateway city!

can you ask the 1K supervisor for a written statement that states that LH supervisor is not aware of any such policy / and that a signature is sufficient? FTers would all want a document like that to avoid further confusion when checking in at an LH desk...

1kBill Nov 13, 2010 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ande777emt (Post 15130873)
I gave my 2 most recent SWU's to my dad for LH C > F and he successfully used one for ORD-FRA-SIN on Monday. I gave a note with my signature just in case they had that requirement and he said the LH person heard a rumor of a new policy but said my note with my signature would be good enough for them.

I'll hear on his return tomorrow afternoon on his return to ORD whether it worked or not.

Did he get upgraded all the way from ORD to SIN via FRA? If so, that seems new to me, as I understood that all SWU upgrades on LH were one segment only and such a trip would require 2 certs.

If he was upgraded all the way, is this a change or did he get lucky?

SeeBuyFly Nov 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by epiding (Post 15112626)
That's unfortunate. But what if you 'suddenly remembered' at the gate you had an LH SWU, and ask the GA to apply the upgrade? your companion obviously can't be present post-security to be next to you. Lounge agents and GAs should be able to apply it right?

I don't see why such tricks are necessary. They can make any rules they want, but they can't announce surprise rules at check-in. If it is not announced in advance that the original member must be present, then he/she will likely not be present, either before or after security.

Any other recent reports from US gateways would be appreciated.

reddirt14 Nov 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Such a rule is getting a little to zealous. So if that rule was in place and I wanted to upgrade my parents flying to or from somewhere, I am not, I wouldn't be able to do it. Or if my wife is flying in after a conference that I'm attending, we can't use the SWUs. How nice...Thanks United/LH. I would also suggest as customers, we don't pay you for your services, until they are rendered. Seems like a good mtching principle. I've seen a lot of cancelled flights, delayed, etc. That's really not what I entered into the deal expecting. So I'd like the right not to pay you until after the flight. :)

Seriously, United needs to loosen up a little bit. I personally think they can cut back on the number of SWUs but need to loosen all the rules around them. They should appy to all fares. SWUs are supposed to be a perk - United needs to make them appear to be a perk.

WineCountryUA Nov 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 15133812)
I don't see why such tricks are necessary. They can make any rules they want, but they can't announce surprise rules at check-in. .....

actually they can -- read the program rules. Rules can change at any time. May not be good customer relations but advance notice os not required.

for instance in the MP Rules it states

...Members, in accumulating mileage or certificates, may not rely upon the continued availability of an award or award level, and members may not be able to obtain all offered awards or use awards to all destinations or on all flights.
... Participation in the Mileage Plus Program (the "Program") is subject to any terms and conditions, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures ("Program Rules") that United may, at its discretion, adopt from time to time.