Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Flaws with United-issued LH Paper Upgrades

Am I the only one who thinks the system is bad? Today flying FCO-FRA-BOS and in FCO they tell me that they cannot confirm or do anything regarding the upgrade from FRA-BOS (from J to F). So I land in FRA, take the bus to A Gates and walk a mile to the LX service desk who takes about 20 minutes to issue the upgrade. Then I have to walk another mile or so underground from A to B (for the F lounge) as I have been told I will be denied entry into the F terminal. Not a relaxing experience, but I take it a typical one? You'd think in this day and age of electronic everything, something could be figured out to be more efficient. Am I missing something?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I am not sure why you had to walk so far. I usually ask at the gate or the lounge near the gate my flight is departing from.....sure, would be nice to have an e-version (or to be able to confirm in advance)....but in general, I am grateful when I get an upgrade.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tennisboy
Am I the only one who thinks the system is bad? Today flying FCO-FRA-BOS and in FCO they tell me that they cannot confirm or do anything regarding the upgrade from FRA-BOS (from J to F). So I land in FRA, take the bus to A Gates and walk a mile to the LX service desk who takes about 20 minutes to issue the upgrade. Then I have to walk another mile or so underground from A to B (for the F lounge) as I have been told I will be denied entry into the F terminal. Not a relaxing experience, but I take it a typical one? You'd think in this day and age of electronic everything, something could be figured out to be more efficient. Am I missing something?
Not sure why you had to walk so far after getting your upgrade. The last time I was in FRA there was a first class lounge (rather small) just on the other side of pass port control very close to A26. I think it is still there but have not used it in the last few months.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
First... its' LH, not LX. Yes, there is a first class lounge in the A gates..unless it's closed for renovations or something. Not sure why you had to walk back so far. Also, you could have just proceeded directly to any LH lounge to have your upgrade processed. There are LH agents in every lounge..no need to walk extra far to find a service desk. Finally..there's plenty of anecdotal evidence in the LH forum that you could have used the first class terminal, but of course that requires a walk outside.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:39 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Finally..there's plenty of anecdotal evidence in the LH forum that you could have used the first class terminal, but of course that requires a walk outside.
Only once you are confirmed in F.

If the OP wanted a really friendly answer, he could have posted this on the LH page.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I am by the OP, and not sure in what order things happened in this story.

1. Until you are actually upgraded and hold a confirmed F ticket, you can't use LH's F lounge.
2. If you were upgraded, why didn't you use the F Lounge upstairs, after going up the escalator from Gate 26 to the 60++ gates? Not so many miles running back and forth. There is a big sign at the base of the escalator for the FCL upstairs.
3. If you already were in C but not yet upgraded, use the Tower Lounge. Not so many miles running back and forth.
4. Sounds like you are new to this process and created some (good but uncessary) excercise for yourself.
5. Why if you are flying on LH but using a UA cert are you going to the LX desk?

Lots of .
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: their are many of them
has Z stopped working?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
SfO-MUC, I went during the FRA departure flight to try to upgrade my MUC flight. They said to me, "come back when the desk re-opens for the MUC flight." Competely flat-out denied me.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think we may give it a go anyway so at least the data pool will be greater for the next individual with the same question. It will be my husband who goes though, rather than myself as his schedule has changed.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Short Answer - Yes.

I got two SWU's printed in late January. Both exclude Z. I just tried to use on in CLT to move from Z to F and was denied. Looks as if the flight will go out with 5 empty F seats.

Very annoying since I got these 2 SWU's in 2011 and if I had gotten them printed in December, I would be fine.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I have an upcoming TXL-FRA-CPT flight. The connection time in FRA is ~1 hr. Will I be able to process my upgrade for FRA-CPT in TXL? Or should I schedule to arrive in FRA ~2-3 hrs earlier to process it in person in FRA?

Your response is appreciated.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
I have had sucess in getting the out station to process the upgrade in the past, but I've heard from others that they have not. I'd say give yourslef more time in FRA if you can, and if it looks as if there are seats.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I have an upcoming TXL-FRA-CPT flight. The connection time in FRA is ~1 hr. Will I be able to process my upgrade for FRA-CPT in TXL? Or should I schedule to arrive in FRA ~2-3 hrs earlier to process it in person in FRA?
TXL is completely staffed by Globeground staff, who have no authorisation beyond TXL operations, so they can't process the upgrade if the FM for the CPT flight has kep the flight open for grading. At most they can add a note into the booking the FM in FRA can see.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by seattleBH
I'd say give yourslef more time in FRA if you can, and if it looks as if there are seats.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
At most they can add a note into the booking the FM in FRA can see.
Thanks for the responses. I have given myself a 3 hr layover in FRA to take care of it. I reckon the lounges in FRA are better than TXL so 3 hrs should not be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.