Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: UA - Kettle
Originally Posted by expressboy
Does LH allow upfares without the change fee. I got a W fare without realizing that it is not upgradeable on LH.
In my experience they did, but it had to be approved by the station manager - your mileage may vary.

Here's the back story - I poured over the T&C's regarding LH L fares (This was before LHconnect's response on the LH forum) I called the UA 1K line and was assured it would be fine. I called the LH line and the agent didn't know. I pulled the trigger and purchased - it was an LH ticket, not a UA codeshare. The trip was a surprise for my wife to visit the German Christmas markets and I had purchased her ticket into LH C with miles.

We arrived in ORD from DEN in mid-December and I went to the LH ticket counter outside security after tucking her into the RCC. Presented my ticket and voucher. The German agent kindly but sternly denied and stated is was due to their system not allowing L fares. We spoke in depth of the T&C's listed on the voucher itself and he mentioned that LH had requested UA to change the language for some time now. He then mentioned that we may be able to buy-up the fare as there was space in business and passed me over to the future ticketing desk next door. Upon checking into it, the buy-up would be around $650 (on a $900 original ticket). I stalled and the American LH agent mentioned that since I had tried to play by the rules she would attempt to get the manager to wave the change fee bringing it down to $400 and change. The manager agreed and the outbound and inbound was up fared to I believe a Q fare. From then on out, it was clear sailing.

I feel that if I had gotten angry or belligerent, that LH would have said it's $650, take it or leave it. I mentioned the nationalities of the agents in question only because I have no idea what the outcome would have been if the positions were reversed - please don't read anything into my statement beyond that. Regardless, both were extremely professional.

Upon return home after a glorious long weekend fueled by Gluhwein, I dropped a stern e-mail to 1K voice regarding the L fare and the buy up. The first response was since it was not a UA ticket, they had no responsibility in the matter. I persisted that the T&C's on the LH SWU did not require that it be ticketed by UA. At this point it was in limbo and the UA agent I was working with contacted LH for clarification. I followed up every couple weeks only to be told that LH had not responded yet. After 8-odd weeks the agent actually called me and said that although I had technically followed the UA rules and should not have been forced to buy up, that the LH rules reign supreme since it's their aircraft. He mentioned that he requested that UA change the T&C's to match LH rules in this matter. As a gesture of "good will", I was offered $500 in UA certs and the matter was closed.

....and I'm spent
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
FRA-SFO: Z to F using SWU

I just upgraded FRA-FRA with Z fare into F. Used a paper SWU. Very nice service on the upper deck B747. Just fantastic. Able to experience the FRA first class terminal and the car service to the plane. Very nice. Pure luxury!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I just upgraded FRA-FRA with Z fare into F. Used a paper SWU. Very nice service on the upper deck B747. Just fantastic. Able to experience the FRA first class terminal and the car service to the plane. Very nice. Pure luxury!
Must have been a short flight!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:58 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I'm about to have a similar opportunity and have a questions...

I'm holding a Z fare SFO-FRA-SFO. Those are valid for upgrade, then? I was worried Z would be too low. (Oh, and BTW, my call to LH just now was not helpful at getting an answer.)

Is it possible to request this upgrade in advance? Can it be confirmed or waitlisted, or is it only done at the gate?

I simply need to have MP send me paper SWUs in advance and I'm good to go? Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
... is it only done at the gate?

I simply need to have MP send me paper SWUs in advance and I'm good to go? Thanks!
LH upgrades using UA SWUs are only day of travel at the airport.

And yes just need to request the paper SWU to be mailed to you. Nothing lese you can do in advance.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:47 pm

Yes, only on day of travel

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
I'm about to have a similar opportunity and have a questions...

I'm holding a Z fare SFO-FRA-SFO. Those are valid for upgrade, then? I was worried Z would be too low. (Oh, and BTW, my call to LH just now was not helpful at getting an answer.)

Is it possible to request this upgrade in advance? Can it be confirmed or waitlisted, or is it only done at the gate?

Yes, call UA, have them mail you the paper SWU. Bring it to the gate, and ask if they've room for the upgrade. If there is room, they will upgrade you. Good luck!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Yes, call UA, have them mail you the paper SWU. Bring it to the gate, and ask if they've room for the upgrade. If there is room, they will upgrade you. Good luck!
Bolding mine. At check-in, request to be put on the grading list. do not wait until the gate. The earlier you are on the list the better.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:51 am

Lufthansa Systemwide Upgrade Questions

Hello fellow MileagePlusers-

I'm attempting to use a Mileage Plus SWU on LH Tuesday night between Ho Chi Minh City and Frankfurt. I've already got the certificate in hand and have a couple of questions (I've searched the sticky notes section and can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for; if they exist, help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated).

1) I understand that all I do is show up at the ticket counter with the SWU in hand and request that I be put on the C Class standby list (I'm booked in Economy). Anything more than that required? Any idea whether the LH staff in SGN will be familiar with UAs SWU Certificate?

2) It's a two leg, single flight itinerary operating SGN-BKK-FRA. Will they clear me all the way to FRA at SGN or will I have to deplane again in BKK? If so, can I be put on the BKK-FRA standby list in SGN? If not, I assume if I accept the upgrade as far as BKK and I don't clear for the BKK-FRA leg, my SWU is considered used and basically wasted, correct?

3) Is there anything more I can do (or should not do) in effort to increase my odds of clearing?

Any insight here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 2, 2011 at 8:30 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Apr 2, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phxbuff
Hello fellow MileagePlusers-

I'm attempting to use a Mileage Plus SWU on LH Tuesday night between Ho Chi Minh City and Frankfurt. I've already got the certificate in hand and have a couple of questions (I've searched the sticky notes section and can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for; if they exist, help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated).

1) I understand that all I do is show up at the ticket counter with the SWU in hand and request that I be put on the C Class standby list (I'm booked in Economy). Anything more than that required? Any idea whether the LH staff in SGN will be familiar with UAs SWU Certificate?

2) It's a two leg, single flight itinerary operating SGN-BKK-FRA. Will they clear me all the way to FRA at SGN or will I have to deplane again in BKK? If so, can I be put on the BKK-FRA standby list in SGN? If not, I assume if I accept the upgrade as far as BKK and I don't clear for the BKK-FRA leg, my SWU is considered used and basically wasted, correct?

3) Is there anything more I can do (or should not do) in effort to increase my odds of clearing?

Any insight here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
You will need two certificates if your itinerary involves to different flight numbers.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by nigos
You will need two certificates if your itinerary involves to different flight numbers.
It is one flight number according to LH's time table; it says there is a stop but doesn't say where. Interesting; I didn't think LH went in for direct flight nonsense. I've never heard if a paper SWU on a USA-style "direct" flight on LH will upgrade all the segments.

To maximize upgrade chances, I'd get to SGN as early as possible, i.e., a half hour before the LH check in counter opens. This gives LH time to provision meals, and it things look wide open, you might even get upgraded at check in time.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Agree with mre5765. If it were me, and the SGN agent couldn't or wouldn't confirm me in Business from BKK to FRA, I'd hang onto my certificate and stay in Coach and until I get a seat assignment in BKK.

Probably the best strategy at SGN is to ask for the upgrade all the way to FRA and not mention the BKK-FRA segment at all, then check the boarding pass to make sure it says "FRA". If it doesn't, retrieve your SWU and try again at BKK.

Please let us know what happens!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 2MM + 1k, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sidestep
Bolding mine. At check-in, request to be put on the grading list. do not wait until the gate. The earlier you are on the list the better.
Is there anyway to request an upgrade, either via phone or the web, after you check-in online? Or can the request only be made in person, the day of travel?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by SFO_71
Or can the request only be made in person, the day of travel?

Thats the only way...
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Want to report a successful upgrade on LH. Checked in at FRA to fly FRA-YYZ today 2 hours before flight and had a H fare, used a SWU to upgrade to C and was given new BP at check in. Flight was full in both C and Y. 2 class plane.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Experience Using UA paper systemwide upgrade on Lufthansa

Hi. Last year I had horrible luck clearing upgrades on United. I'm considering flying Luftansa instead.

Anyone with experience clearing with the paper upgrades? I'm specifically looking at SEA-FRA on a Tuesday and FRA-DEN on a Friday.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.