Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
PHL agent was SUPER rude and didn't accept signed, noted SWUs with letters, and threatened to offload me from the flight. (!) Final answer is no. And I'm a customer who frequently flies them in F as well. Sc.... You, LH!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
I was psyched to have the upgrade clear as 1K from Z to F on LH/455.

Morning of the flight it was showing as F2 A2 on EF.

I was early to check in (I think I was the first person to check in for the flight) and the agent waitlisted me.

At the gate, it cleared just after general boarding had started. I got the second seat and it sounded as if two people did not clear (list was four in total, I heard).

At check-in, they said that an HON or SEN would trump me. I still, though, don't have a good understanding of the upgrade waitlist order.... just happy it worked out for me.
So far as I have experienced, LH will never show availability more than "2" on EF or UA searches. Similar to UA never showing more than "9". It's inconclusive beyond knowing that there are at least 2 seats left for sale in those fare buckets.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:28 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
So far as I have experienced, LH will never show availability more than "2" on EF or UA searches. Similar to UA never showing more than "9". It's inconclusive beyond knowing that there are at least 2 seats left for sale in those fare buckets.
Actually, I've had a different experience... I've seen F6 and F4 as well on the specific SFO-FRA and FRA-SFOs I've been monitoring. The flight I'm watching now is at F4 A4, and I'm crossing fingers it'll hold out at that level...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just a report of success: in early August I used UA SWUs to upgrade from Y to C from FRA to JNB, and from JNB to FRA, on the A380. Both flights were mid-week. I applied the upgrade for the first flight 12 hours before at the LH FRA transit desk (arriving from IAD on UA) and the upgrade for the second flight 3.5 hours before at the LH JNB transit desk in JNB. Both were seamless and I had no problems (and business was half empty on each flight).
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can be put on the grading list the evening before. LH has what is called the late night checkin: http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Late-..._p=DE&blt_l=en
Thank you for posting this. I checked on LH's website and it appears that Late Night Check In is only possible in person at the airport. Is this correct, or can someone check-in online and then call LH and ask to put on the grading list?

Thank you.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by janehoya
[...]can someone check-in online and then call LH and ask to put on the grading list?
Sadly no. There is a telecheckin facility, but agents have no way to verify this particular upgrade instrument you intend to use. So you have to do it in person. If you would be using LH M&M evouchers or miles to upgrade then they could list you.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:32 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
More success! Wow!

I've now had additional success with using an SWU for C->F on LH/454 FRA-SFO.

I checked in at the F counter at FRA at 4pm the day before flight. At that time, EF was showing F4 A4.

Agent easily checked me in (this didn't seem unusual to her at all). She knew the certificate, checked its expiration date, and filled out my e-ticket number and PNR details on the allotted blanks, then gave it back to me tucked into my ticket envelope to surrender at the gate. (In the end, the F lounge in the B terminal took it from me, as I'd be bypassing the gate via limo.)

The upgrade cleared immediately (vs. on the outbound, where it waitlisted and cleared at the gate). I checked EF afterwards and the flight still showed F4 A4, so guessing there were more than 4 seats available. (Interestingly, there are other future flights showing F8 and F6, so I'm guessing that max inventory display changes as the flight time grows closer, or it's dynamic based on city pairs.)

There were multiple window and inside seats available, so guessing it was fairly lightly booked.

I went back the next morning (day of flight) to check in my bag.

This is an *amazing* use of UA SWUs! And I can't believe how seemingly easy it was, in the height of summer, to use them on the A380!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I've had no trouble redeeming SWU's either - and my success rate is 3 out of 3. I just flew SIN-FRA, departing on Sat 20th Aug and I checked in 3-hrs prior to departure in SIN. Check-in agent processed upgrade from C-F immediately.

Turns out there were only 2 of us in F. When I checked EF throughout the week, F availability was showing 8 out of 8 (meaning zero pax booked). Even J wasn't oversold (which seemed unusual).

Admittedly, I was on a C fare (not J or Z) and I would have been miffed if the upgrade didnt clear given the cost of the silly C ticket. Thankfully, my client is a German company so they prefer LH.

I'm flying back to SIN ex FRA this Sat - 27th Aug and EF shows 3 out of 8 seats allocated.

Last time I checked in from FRA and used a SWU, I think I checked in 7-8 hours prior to departure and then drank myself into oblivion at the FCT (which to me is the whole point of the SWU in the first place).

The crew on the way over from SIN said that their flight to SIN was on a retrofitted 747, so thats a good sign. I'd love the opportunity to try the new product.

I'll be in the FCT this Saturday early (unless I am kicked out)...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Actually, I've had a different experience... I've seen F6 and F4 as well on the specific SFO-FRA and FRA-SFOs I've been monitoring. The flight I'm watching now is at F4 A4, and I'm crossing fingers it'll hold out at that level...
This is on EF or .bomb? I've done dozens (hundreds?) of .bomb searches and never seen more than F2 C4. But it could be bad luck on my part, of course.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Blr-fra

I am 4 for 4 going C to F on LH BLR-FRA. Actually, this is probably the easiest F upgrade in the LH system. All 4 times, it was only 1-2 other people in F. Last time I was the only one! I actually force myself to stay up to enjoy the service. But the real reason I upgrade is for the LH IFL. My layover to UA 901 is 6 hours, so the lounge is well with it!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:51 am

This is on EF or .bomb? I've done dozens (hundreds?) of .bomb searches and never seen more than F2 C4. But it could be bad luck on my part, of course.
EF... and I think it's just a matter of our looking at different flights.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by blueman2
I am 4 for 4 going C to F on LH BLR-FRA. Actually, this is probably the easiest F upgrade in the LH system. All 4 times, it was only 1-2 other people in F. Last time I was the only one! I actually force myself to stay up to enjoy the service. But the real reason I upgrade is for the LH IFL. My layover to UA 901 is 6 hours, so the lounge is well with it!
I think it's no coincidence that this route also has the most F saver award availability!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by blueman2
To confirm - LH inbound F gets access to LH F lounges in FRA, even if the onward flight is in LH C or UA C? This is an open question on another thread.
If you are onward on UA, do they drive you to the plane from the FCT?
Has anyone experienced the car pickup service (picked up from the arriving plane) in FRA? If so, how does that occur?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
To confirm - LH inbound F gets access to LH F lounges in FRA, even if the onward flight is in LH C or UA C?
Yes. To the FCLs only if your onward flight is not on LH/LX/OS or if your destination is FRA. If your onward flight is on LH/LX/OS in any class on the same day you could also go to the FCT.

If you are onward on UA, do they drive you to the plane from the FCT?
No access to the FCT if your onward flight is on UA.

Has anyone experienced the car pickup service (picked up from the arriving plane) in FRA? If so, how does that occur?
No pickup service when arriving in LH F. Pax connecting to LH F might be picked up on arrival on an LH flight at a remote apron position but this is not guaranteed.

I can recommend the following thread in the M&M forum as well as First Class ground service information on Lufthansa.com.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-fct-faqs.html
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: QR platinum
To confirm - LH inbound F gets access to LH F lounges in FRA, even if the onward flight is in LH C or UA C? This is an open question on another thread.
LH inbound F gets you LH FCL for onward flight in LH C, tested by Ms. CASAFlyer in July. The FC terminal is however off-limits. Quite clearly spelled in the LH rules (http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Loung...ons-and-access), all that is required is a "Same-day First Class boarding pass" from LF or LX. So I assume that onward connection with UA/LH is fine in any class.

PS: She was in the Schengen FCL and had to walk to the gate for her onward flight in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.