Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by Yuengling
Thanks - that's what I was afraid of. I haven't had to deal with this because as GS, award travel on UA metal is upgradeable, but I suppose that doesn't extend to award travel on LH metal.
As GS you can have free changes of the award tickets, though. So you can just call the GS desk and rebook into XF/XC on LH if seats are released close to departure. At least on DEN-FRA where I have direct experience, LH usually opens up unsold inventory in premium cabins a week or so before the flight.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
Originally Posted by UAnewBiz
T&C

This upgrade may be used on a dtandby basis, subject to upgrade availability, on the day of travel on any eligible Lufthansa flight in accordance with the terms and conditions of this certificate except when booked in LH booking classes L,X,I,R,N,E,S,W,ID, AD and IP fares. T fares are also excluded on Intra-Europe flights.

The front also lists L now.. everything else seems to be the same.
United changed the rules about SWU upgrades on Lufthansa today:

3) Eligible flights on Lufthansa

The following Lufthansa tickets are not eligible for a Systemwide Upgrade:

•Tickets in booking codes X, I, R, N, W, S, L, K,T and E

K is now listed as not upgradeable.

I wonder what will the do with the already issued certificates on K Lufthansa flights (K fare is not eligible for earning miles as well).

These changes were posted on ual.com, but not announced as far as I know -- sneaky -- not acceptable.

Last edited by flying MD; Sep 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm Reason: adding
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I already posted this in the M&M forum but this is what M&M's upgrade awards T&C says:

Since LH treats upgrades with paper SWUs from UA exactly the same as M&M miles or eVoucher upgrades, booking classes excluded from M&M upgrades must also be excluded from upgrades with SWUs.
Is this true? Was anybody denied upgrade using UA SWU on Lufthansa K fare?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
As GS you can have free changes of the award tickets, though. So you can just call the GS desk and rebook into XF/XC on LH if seats are released close to departure. At least on DEN-FRA where I have direct experience, LH usually opens up unsold inventory in premium cabins a week or so before the flight.
Good idea, but I don't have the extra miles.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Gold
Unable to upgrade on K class fare on LH

I was denied an upgrade on a K class fare from BOS to FRA on Oct 8th. I had requested the paper SWU before the rules changed and the paper SWU doesn't list K class fares as being non-upgradable. I tried at the check-in desk at BOS and also at the Lounge but was told that their system wouldn't allow then to upgrade a K class fare (i.e. they couldn't override it). I am now at FRA waiting to return to BOS and was again told at the Lounge that they couldn't do anything with upgrading my ticket. However, they did tell me to try at the gate and implied that the gate agent would have more flexibility.
Wish me luck!

I did e-mail 1KVoice on the 8th but haven't heard anything from them yet.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeachyHead
I was denied an upgrade on a K class fare from BOS to FRA on Oct 8th. I had requested the paper SWU before the rules changed and the paper SWU doesn't list K class fares as being non-upgradable. I tried at the check-in desk at BOS and also at the Lounge but was told that their system wouldn't allow then to upgrade a K class fare (i.e. they couldn't override it). I am now at FRA waiting to return to BOS and was again told at the Lounge that they couldn't do anything with upgrading my ticket. However, they did tell me to try at the gate and implied that the gate agent would have more flexibility.
Wish me luck!

I did e-mail 1KVoice on the 8th but haven't heard anything from them yet.
This is too bad- however post #527 in this thread seems to indicate this is the case effective 30SEPT.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
This is too bad- however post #527 in this thread seems to indicate this is the case effective 30SEPT.
My statement in #439 and #492 indicated that too, but why listen to me...
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Flew LH on L-class ticket twice in the last few days (ORD-MUC and FRA-MUC), agents in ORD and FRA would not even consider accepting a paper UA-SWU to upgrade the flights. Agent in Chicago even pointed to "L" on my ticket and said "see that? That means 'low class'!") Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, and I didn't really expect LH to bend a rule, so I wasn't too disappointed.

I did get a view of the empty biz-class seats from my economy seat.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Agent in Chicago even pointed to "L" on my ticket and said "see that? That means 'low class'!")
That is pretty funny actually!

Originally Posted by oliver2002
My statement in #439 and #492 indicated that too, but why listen to me...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 12, 2011 at 9:02 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:17 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Flew LH on L-class ticket twice in the last few days (ORD-MUC and FRA-MUC), agents in ORD and FRA would not even consider accepting a paper UA-SWU to upgrade the flights. Agent in Chicago even pointed to "L" on my ticket and said "see that? That means 'low class'!")
This reminds me of KLM's communication style when I flew them regularly.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LGA
This reminds me of KLM's communication style when I flew them regularly.
"It is Not Possible!" TM KLM
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Gold
Success on upgrading K class fare - Oct 11 2011

Despite being turned down for an upgrade at the Lounge, I turned up at the gate as soon as the Gate Agent got there. Since there was quite a bit of space available in C, she took pity on me and upgraded me. She did point out that the K class fare wasn't upgrade eligible and that next time I should pay attention to the fare class (I did - when I booked the ticket prior to Sep 30 and requested the SWU at that time the fare did appear to be eligible for upgrade).
What I don't understand is why if there is space available would LH not take a SWU for an upgrade and get money from UA for a seat that would otherwise be empty.
Moral of the tale - never give up. Smile sweetly at the gate agent and you never know what might happen.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BeachyHead
What I don't understand is why if there is space available would LH not take a SWU for an upgrade and get money from UA for a seat that would otherwise be empty.
Looong story, but thats just how LH operates: rather fly empty than give a away premium seats (creating the impression that you don't need to pay big $$$ to get into the premium cabin). LH feels confirmed that their logic works as they mint money in the premium cabins on longhaul even with an inferior product (compared to their benchmark AF/KL & BA).
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Looong story, but thats just how LH operates: rather fly empty than give a away premium seats (creating the impression that you don't need to pay big $$$ to get into the premium cabin). LH feels confirmed that their logic works as they mint money in the premium cabins on longhaul even with an inferior product (compared to their benchmark AF/KL & BA).
Does anyone really consider the current LH C a premium seat?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Does anyone really consider the current LH C a premium seat?
The seasoned flyertalker may not, but the bulk of the public flying LH does

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.