Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
No, codeshares are irrelevant. Once checkin opens, you can upgrade using any instrument.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:07 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Got my LH SWU cert in the mail and plan to use it on the DUS-ORD segment. I will be flying LHR-DUS-ORD. Would I present it in LHR?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:59 am

Using SWUs on LH SFO-MUC

Has anyone had any experience using SWUs on the LH SFO-MUC and vv flights? I've had success on other routings e.g. FRA-SFO and BOM-FRA. Thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by jason8612
Got my LH SWU cert in the mail and plan to use it on the DUS-ORD segment. I will be flying LHR-DUS-ORD. Would I present it in LHR?
You can try, and maybe they can take care of it there. Otherwise, they'll tell you to take care of it in DUS.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:15 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
You can try, and maybe they can take care of it there. Otherwise, they'll tell you to take care of it in DUS.
To update. They processed it in LHR. the agent never saw one before, and took 10min but I got a F BP for my DUS-ORD segment
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by jason8612
To update. They processed it in LHR. the agent never saw one before, and took 10min but I got a F BP for my DUS-ORD segment
^ Thanks for reporting back.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:25 pm

Checking Validity of Paper LH Upgrade Certificates

Hi Forum!

I was given a two LH SWU (United converted to LH) paper certificates and was wondering how to be sure they are valid, besides the date stamp. I realize that they need to be surrendered, but does the ID get added to the system??

My friend who gave me these uses them all the time and said that one of these was not taken by the agent, but doesn't remember which one. Is there a validity check or some way to call and check??

Thanks!!
Hopper
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by thehoppersf
Hi Forum!

I was given a two LH SWU (United converted to LH) paper certificates and was wondering how to be sure they are valid, besides the date stamp. I realize that they need to be surrendered, but does the ID get added to the system??

My friend who gave me these uses them all the time and said that one of these was not taken by the agent, but doesn't remember which one. Is there a validity check or some way to call and check??

Thanks!!
Hopper
Send them back to the Mileage Plus to be re-deposited into your friend's electronic SWU bank, and have your friend call to Mileage Plus to print them to paper again.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Upgrade successful on my FRA-BOS leg of my KBP-FRA-BOS flight.

I initially went to the service desk which processed it successfully, but then undid the changes once they saw the voucher was under someone else's name. They said to do it at the gate to make sure it is valid.

I didn't want to chance that with only 2 hours before flight departure, so I went to the LH Lounge and the lady did it for me.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K SPG Gold
Question Chance of upgrading Lufthasa C->F with paper SWU Bkk <-> Fra

Fellow Flyertalkers,

I'm trying to decide between Turkish air business and Lufthansa business for a trip to europe soon, leaving 7/24 from BKK and return 8/1 to BKK. These flights involve BKK <-> FRA legs.

C seems pretty full on both flights with LH, but some seats left. I have some paper SWUs that I could use to try to upgrade into Lufthansa F.

Here's my basic dilemma. I think turkish air has better business class than Lufthansa, hands down. However I got me these paper SWU thingies...

By seat maps on dummy bookings, it looks like Lufthansa F is pretty open both ways. However of course, there could be plenty of tickets sold that just dont have seats reserved yet. At any rate, on the outgoing flight BKK->FRA on 7/24, there are 2/8 seats reserved already, and for return flight FRA->BKK on 8/1, there is only 1/8 seats reserved already.

However, there could be 7 tickets sold so far on each of these flights, and only 2/1 people have reserved specific seats. Also perhaps lots of LH people will try to upgrade to F at the gate, or many people will buy F at the last minute.... many possibilities.

Wondering if there's a good chance of getting C->F upgrade (Actually Z and C) using the paper SWUs. Anyone have experience? I have seen some older threads with one person saying that s/he was usually been able to upgrade BKK->FRA to F, but wondering about more current data and any other opinions.

If there's a good chance of upgrading, I'll get the lufthansa business ticket and try to upgrade to F.

If not, I'll stick with turkish air because the business is better and they're *A.

Any advice? Thanks very much....

Last edited by flyster; Jul 7, 2011 at 9:25 pm
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
You may find the following thread useful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2010-11-a.html

My impression is that most people have good success rates C=>F, (and that's my personal experience too, albeit from DEL not BKK).

Two thoughts:
1. You should double-check that Z=>F is allowed with a paper SWU.
2. You should check the EQM implications if you're likely to be on the border for a major MP requalification hurdle like 100,000.

For what it's worth, the answers I came up with for these two questions using UA's website are.
1. Z=>F is allowed.
2. LH Z is 150% EQM. Turkish Business class is 100%.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:48 pm

Yes thanks, I checked in that thread, there is one poster in there who specifically said that they usually were able to do BKK->FRA C->F. However that's a little old now and Lufthansa changed the # of seats in F from 16 to 8, so not sure if it's still true or not.

As far as I can tell, the paper SWU should work. Reading what it says on the SWU, it says good for upgrading Lufthansa business or economy to next class of service, excluding the following booking codes, and Z is not among the excluded codes. So... should work.

Get more miles with LH too, that's a good point. But still basically I think I want the more comfortable seat with Turkish Air, unless there's a good chance of getting F with Lufthansa... then I would want that!!!!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

FRA BKK is a very LH M&M elite heavy and oversold route, so chances of F staying empty on the day of departure are not slim, but low.

Just to report SWU use: recently used a SWU (in the new MP layout with updated fine print) V -> C on MUC-IAD and presented it at 9.30p the day before departure (LH allows late night checkin for next day departure). The agent could only put me on the grading list, where I remained till 1h before departure and the FC lounge reissued my BP after talking to the FM/gate.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
FRA BKK is a very LH M&M elite heavy and oversold route, so chances of F staying empty on the day of departure are not slim, but low.
I see that for the flight BKK->FRA this upcoming monday (3 days from now) only 3/8 first class seats are reserved, but of course that doesnt tell us how many tickets have been sold, just how many seating places have been reserved.

Since C class is heavily booked already, judging from the seat map, I assume many of those folks will be M&M people who want to upgrade to however many available F seats there are. I assume my UA paper SWU would have lower priority than their own elite passengers.

Anyway I guess from what I have found out so far doesnt look very promising. Anyone have personal experience on this route lately?

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyster
Since C class is heavily booked already, judging from the seat map, I assume many of those folks will be M&M people who want to upgrade to however many available F seats there are. I assume my UA paper SWU would have lower priority than their own elite passengers.
M&M members are offered the upgrade with miles or evouchers during the OLCI and manual checkin process. These are put on the same grading list if the instant upgrade is not possible. UA paper SWUs are on par with M&M upgrades, in fact the listing process and the category is the same. No ranking by status with that list, its just first come first serve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.