Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I am going to move this to the United (pre-merger) forum for more replies.

Markie - Mod *A
Old Apr 5, 2011, 4:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Lots of discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2010-11-a.html
Old Apr 6, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Success on 3/20 FRA-LAX

I arrived at FRA at about 7 AM from Strasbourg, and was able to use a paper SWU at the biz-class check-in. Z fare, it was a UA code-share on LH metal. No issues, she just had to make the catering call. I was asked if I wanted to use the FCL or FCT. I had already decided I wanted to try the FCT, so I made the short walk outside, and had a wonderful experience over there. Got the ride to the 747 in a Porsche. It wasn't a remote stand.

Nice service on the upper deck, with some good views of Greenland during the flight.

With the reduced number of F seats on the 747s starting April, not sure if it will be easy to upgrade these flights as it has been.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
if its full so you cannot upgrade can you just hold onto the paper SWU and wait for your next flight where there might be room ?

thanks for the info

Rally
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rally
if its full so you cannot upgrade can you just hold onto the paper SWU and wait for your next flight where there might be room ?
yes, the paper SWU is generic and not tied to a specific flight. It does have the original expiration.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Update

After hoping for pointers on how to best succeed in using my Paper SWU on LH last Tuesday night on a SGN-BKK-FRA single flight, I'm sorry to report that it was a massive "fail".

I checked in at the LH desk when it opened, three hours before departure, and politely approached the Star Gold agent, offered my certificate, explained it's application and kept my fingers crossed. After giving it a courtesy review, she pulled a sheet of paper out of her pocket, pretended to examine it and curtly told me that Business Class was full. End of story.

After taking my boarding card with 55J emblazened all over it, I retreated to the "Rose Lounge" at SGN and decided I'd try again at the gate. An hour before departure, I optimistically approached a gate surrounded by no fewer than six LH agents. The first offered up her assistance, I explained my plight and was told again, supported by the second, who appeared to be a supervisor, that Business Class from SGN was full. They suggested I talk to the flight crew once I boarded (something I knew would do me little good).

Doing as they suggested, however, I dutifully explained what had happened to the very pleasant LH flight attendant who greeted me at the door. Of course, she laughed, they have no computers on board to process an upgrade and this was a "common occurance at smaller stations where LH doesn't have their own staff; they don't know how to process out-of-the-ordinary requests so often just tell passengers no upgrade is available".

The FA did say she'd speak to the captain who'd call ahead to BKK and see what he could do. She later found me deep in the bowels of economy and gave me a copy of the telex saying the C was indeed "slightly oversold" on the BKK-FRA segment.

Assuming that that was indeed the case, I'm glad I didn't (and wouldn't) accidentally burn my SWU on the SGN-BKK leg. For those of you flying to flying out of SGN using your paper LH SWU upgrade certificates, I'm not sure that there's much you can do other than ask for a supervisor...and even then, I'm not sure it'll do much good.

Fortunately, I'm confirmed in C on the trip home tomorrow night, so the story isn't entirely sad. Good luck!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 1:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
At outstations LH uses agency staff that may look/dress like LH staff but if you know what to spot you see they are not LH.

The station management (ST) will issue a cheat sheet with instructions to the desk staff including notes on the booking situation and policy for the day, numbers to call etc. Some keep it handy on the desk, some keep it with them if they have gate duty later.

What you saw is by no means unusual and in fact standard practice. I can imagine FRA RM telling SGN & BKK ST that the oversell was bad and not to make it worse.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, BAEC Gold
Success report, question

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. First I just wanted to report a successful upgrade in Q fare class, SFO-FRA, stuck in the middle seat of the 744 but better than LH coach anyway.

Now I'm going to do MAD-FRA-PEK and I'd like to upgrade the FRA-PEK leg, in A380. I've read that it's complex to get upgrades in the whalejet... any advise?

Also, when I do check-in in MAD, shall I mention there in the UA SWU? or wait for FRA? the connection time is OK but not huge...
Old Apr 13, 2011, 1:47 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

The A380 is only blocked for F awards to non LH elites, standby upgrade on the same day Y->C or C->F is simply dependent on the loads that day.

MAD can put a note and place you on the grading list if requested to alert the FM in FRA.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, MI LTP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver
Eligible LH fares with SWU's

Originally Posted by galaxy88
If this is the case, then how come UA did not include "L" class in the voucher
description ?

1a. Lufthansa Standby: This upgrade may be used on a standby basis, subject to availability, on the day of travel on any eligible Lufthansa flight in accordance with the terms and conditions of this certificate, except when booked in LH booking classes X, I, R, N, W, S and E. In addition L and T fares are also excluded for Intra-Europe flights.
It's true that they won't accept L fares even though UA hasn't printed the exclusion on the cert. But they sometimes bend the rules, at least in BOS, depending on capacity. But these exceptions aren't always op-ups. On at least one occasion they upgraded my parents from S to C by collecting an additional $150 per ticket. Tonight they rejected an SWU that I gave to my mom for BOS-FRA. She was traveling on an L, but they told her she could have bought it up had they had the capacity available.

I questioned a LH CSR about this and she told it it was airport discretion. She also told me that as of a few months ago they started restricting the eligible fares for US SWU's to just Y and B. "Surely you are referring to the *A mileage upgrades" I countered, but she insisted this was the new reality for UA SWU's. So much confusion, so much paper....
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The A380 is only blocked for F awards to non LH elites, standby upgrade on the same day Y->C or C->F is simply dependent on the loads that day.

MAD can put a note and place you on the grading list if requested to alert the FM in FRA.
Thanks for your answer.

I checked the availability for the FRA-PEK flight (F4 A0 J9 C0 D0 Z0 Y9 B9 M9 H0 Q0 V0 WC UC S0 LC) and for the PEK-FRA flight (F0 A0 J9 C9 D0 Z0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q0 V0 WC UC S0 LC). Which one is the class for SWU upgrades? and what happens if there are no upgrade seats available but at boarding time there are available seats in a full-fare business, will they release them for upgrades?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

The principle is: 'if there is a free seat left in the cabin and catered for' then you get a upgrade using the paper voucher. It is not dependent on any fare class available in the system. The booking class on your BP is usually C or I depending on the agent and how they processed the upgrade in the DCS.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: United 1K
SWU "Paper" Upgrade on Lufthansa (FRA-NRT)

I am a United 1K member flying from MAN-FRA-NRT and return in June and wondered if anyone has had success upgrading using a United "Paper" SWU for the FRA-NRT leg of the journey.

I am flying on the A380 (booking class "Q") and as they have 98 business class seats I was hoping to get an Upgrade.

Any thoughts/comments on paper upgrades with LH?

Cheers!!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:24 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pk1_efc
I am a United 1K member flying from MAN-FRA-NRT and return in June and wondered if anyone has had success upgrading using a United "Paper" SWU for the FRA-NRT leg of the journey.

I am flying on the A380 (booking class "Q") and as they have 98 business class seats I was hoping to get an Upgrade.
I have no experience of upgrading FRA-NRT with an SWU but I think your chances are good. Following the March 11 earthquake passenger loads on flights to NRT seem to be low and as much of June is the rainy season it is not a popular time for travel.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:13 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
There's a thread on the Lufthansa board that suggests C to F upgrades on the A388 are not allowed with UA SWU. Does that seem right? Match with folks' experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.