Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
This is a long thread and my attempt at finding the answer fell short of producing any results. Does anyone know how LH would treat a pax with the lap child when it comes to upgrading from Y to C using the paper SWU? Is this allowed at all?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by weezl
Or would it? Can I get my BP online and then go to the F lounge to request the upgrade at 8AM?
There is no LH staff that early in the airport. What would the F lounge attendant be able to help you? They are not LH staff with no access to to LH systems...

Lapchild makes no difference to upgrades, they are just processed like normal pax.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Lapchild makes no difference to upgrades, they are just processed like normal pax.
Thanks Oliver. Glad to hear that's the case.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
April 18th-Checked in at DEN 3 hours before my flight to FRA. Gave my SWU cert to the GA. Upgraded to Business class from a Q fare coach. The GA was also able to give me an upgrade on my next flight on April 19th from FRA to Baku, Azerbaijan at the same time. Used 2 SWU e certs.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
KWI-FRA

Upgrade paid J to FC at airport upon check-in <2 hours ahead of departure. I had checked and they were still selling F seats but still had little hope that the contract folks in this country with only one LH flight a day would be able to process this United benefit. Quick chat with the supervisor and a little typing and happened with ease. I didn't need to say or explain a thing to them. Or beg!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Upgrade paid J to FC at airport upon check-in <2 hours ahead of departure. I had checked and they were still selling F seats but still had little hope that the contract folks in this country with only one LH flight a day would be able to process this United benefit. Quick chat with the supervisor and a little typing and happened with ease. I didn't need to say or explain a thing to them. Or beg!
Most of the small LH stations have at least one or two LH employees on site, but sometimes they are hard to find.

In Feb. I was on LH 713 from ICN-FRA (LH only has 2 flights/day out of ICN). Departure time was 2:45p. Check-in opened at 11:20a. I arrived at the airport at 9:30a and went to the LH office on Level 2. It was a bit hard to find, but was "pre-security". I spoke to the LH station assistant manager (I asked her if she worked for LH directly and she said "yes") and she confirmed my upgrade to F on the spot (paid a J fare). She couldn't print my BP at that time, but I had no problem at check in.

Checking the LH website, I see that there is a LH office at KWI that opens at 7:00p. The daily flight to FRA departs at 12:40a.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:27 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Is it still a requirement to present the upgrade cert no less than 90 minutes before departure?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by aau
Is it still a requirement to present the upgrade cert no less than 90 minutes before departure?
Not in my experience. We presented about 20 mins prior to departure because we were running through FRA to make our connection.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
LH Lounge at LAX and paper SWU

Bump:

Can I get my BP online (to get me through security) and then go to the F lounge to request the upgrade at 8AM? Does the lounge open that early? I called LH, they have no clue when the lounge opens, all they know is that the ticket counter opens at about 10:30.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

The LH @LAX check-in desk opens at 10:30 and all counters are staffed by 11. The Station/Operation Managers office opens at 9am. They can decide the upgrade, if you can manage to reach them. The station managers office is usually out of reach for the general public.

The F lounge is jointly operated with no LH staff there that early, why should they, it would be a waste. So please don't spend energy to get there that early in the day.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The LH @LAX check-in desk opens at 10:30 and all counters are staffed by 11. The Station/Operation Managers office opens at 9am. They can decide the upgrade, if you can manage to reach them. The station managers office is usually out of reach for the general public.

The F lounge is jointly operated with no LH staff there that early, why should they, it would be a waste. So please don't spend energy to get there that early in the day.
That is very helpful, thank you. Still planning on doing errands between 11 and 2, so will I be able to present the SWU at the ticket counter in LAX or will I have to go airside?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Ticket counter is enough, no need to go airside.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: UA, AA
Calling ahead for SWU use on LH

I have a Z fare and would like to upgrade to F on LH flight from ORD. I was once told by UA CSR that it is possible to call ahead and let LH know you are going to try and upgrade at gate so they can cater appropriately. Has anyone done this before? Whom should i call?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by seadoc
I have a Z fare and would like to upgrade to F on LH flight from ORD. I was once told by UA CSR that it is possible to call ahead and let LH know you are going to try and upgrade at gate so they can cater appropriately. Has anyone done this before? Whom should i call?
Catering is the issue many times but they cater in groups of 4 or 6 at a time I believe. I have never heard of being able to call ahead as it is at checkin only, thus why would they care if anyone calls ahead. Get to the airport early and be there when they start accepting check in's 4 hours ahead or whatever that particular station allows.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by seadoc
Your question's been asked and answered many times over in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2010-11-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.