Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by mre5765
If he meant that the tickets are on LH metal with a UA ticket then you are incorrect. The terms and conditions clearly allow code shares. Indeed, the T&Cs allow tickets issued as code shares of a third airline for a flight on LH metal.
Yes, I agree with you. UA ticket (016) and LH metal is clearly allowed according to the T&Cs. Lufthansa saw this in another way in my case. They wrongly argued that it must be an LH ticket and denied the upgrades
Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
Yes, I agree with you. UA ticket (016) and LH metal is clearly allowed according to the T&Cs. Lufthansa saw this in another way in my case. They wrongly argued that it must be an LH ticket and denied the upgrades
was the denial due to codeshare or fare class (as written earlier?)
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by BayTalker
How early is check-in allowed on Lufthansa? Is is 24 hours before departure?

If I have a 4pm flight on Saturday, can I check in at the airport at 4pm on Friday (and surrender by paper SWU) to improve my upgrade chances?
SWU T&Cs say same day standby only.

I've never had this problem. YMMV I guess.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
PEK - FRA on LH 721

Does anybody have any experience on this flight, on the A380?

I'm booked into C right now, with a SWU in hand.

What are the loads like on this route? Flying this coming Sunday, and wouldn't mind being pampered for the 8 or so hours after 2 weeks traveling through the backroads on China.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl
What were I thinking? Guess jetlag could be the reason .

F.R.
You scared me there for a second. I was assured by a 1k rep that this was fine, so my mind automatically started contemplating a mean letter to 1kvoice!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
LH said because of the UA ticket (016). I was told that it would have been good if I had booked on a LH stock.

But to be honest: I think that was a rather silly excuse. It is nowhere written that the booking must be made on LH stock. They simply didn't want to give me the upgrade (for whatever reason)
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
Checking in early will absolutely help your chances, if LH will allow it. I've had a 6 hour lay over in FRA once, and the LH staff accepted my SWU and BP (printed at home before I left the USA) and upgraded me on the spot.

As for checking in luggage after the initial check in, I've done that on an LHR to MUC flight on LH with no problem. Think it through: a pax tries to go through security, and the screener rejects the carry on (sharps, liquids, or too large). This happens all the time, all airports, all airlines. It's the law.
Went to the airport during my break. Lufthansa does allow early check-in and then as you said, checking in your luggage later. C was only half full so I got it without any troubles.

Thanks for the advice! The flight was great!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Does LH allow upfares without the change fee. I got a W fare without realizing that it is not upgradeable on LH.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by expressboy
Does LH allow upfares without the change fee. I got a W fare without realizing that it is not upgradeable on LH.
I asked the same question a couple of months ago and there were no replies. It would be really useful if someone has experience with this. After all it would be free cash (+swu) for LH...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:30 pm
Suspended

The denial was because of the booking class L
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
LH said because of the UA ticket (016). I was told that it would have been good if I had booked on a LH stock.

But to be honest: I think that was a rather silly excuse. It is nowhere written that the booking must be made on LH stock. They simply didn't want to give me the upgrade (for whatever reason)
Is it possible this a new requirement? I will be using a paper SWU for the first time on LH this week. I called to book this itinerary and order the certificate.When it arrived, I discovered it was booked into a class that the certificate said was not upgradeable,despite me being clear to the agent that I wanted it booked into an upgradeable class.

I called the 1K line to inquire about the whole mess,as it was a nonrefundable ticket and how I could make a change without a fee,since I had specified a specific class.

The agent was wonderful and waived the change fee and corrected the ticket. BUT she did say that it would not be upgradeable unless it was booked with LH flight #,not a UA one and code shares were definitely not upgradeable with the paper SWU.

Since this is my first experience doing this,I am not sure if this is correct or if the agent is mistaken
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
LH said because of the UA ticket (016). I was told that it would have been good if I had booked on a LH stock. ....
I'm still confused
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
I'm still confused
me too lol
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat

errrrr
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by ORD Punk
Does anybody have any experience on this flight, on the A380?

I'm booked into C right now, with a SWU in hand.

What are the loads like on this route? Flying this coming Sunday, and wouldn't mind being pampered for the 8 or so hours after 2 weeks traveling through the backroads on China.

Cheers.
No experience on flights to China but to and from Joburg and

on A 380 it worked from Z to the F cabin. At the check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.