Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat Amb, HH Gold
That's interesting... did you apply online, or at the gate?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pumical
Just wanted to quickly share my recent experience using a SWU on L from the US to Germany.

I read some posts here that L is not on the list of upgradable fares any longer but he upgrade on both ways worked just fine for me.
Were you flying LH or UA?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Were you flying LH or UA?
I should have mentioned that earlier; I was flying LH on a paper SWU Voucher.

Originally Posted by kimon
That's interesting... did you apply online, or at the gate?
At the gate, since it was a paper SWU for LH.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 7, 2011 at 9:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
At the gate, since it was a paper SWU for LH.
AFAIK no fare code issues using paper UA SWUs on LH - can even use on Z fares to UG to F (unlike UA)
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
AFAIK no fare code issues using paper UA SWUs on LH - can even use on Z fares to UG to F (unlike UA)
The following LH fares are excluded on SWU certificates: X, I, R, N, E, S, W, AD/AD/IP

So, L was never on that list but there was a bigger debate here on excluded L fares on LH international.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
United L is definitely not upgradeable. I returned from China a few weeks ago and business class was empty. I was in coach on an L fare with a systemwide about to expire, and they would not let me use it. They wanted 30K miles and $500 to upgrade.

Paper certificates seem to work on any LH fare if there are open seats. LH also sorts the list based on the time you are put on, and not by fare (according to a gate agent).
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k
United L is definitely not upgradeable. I returned from China a few weeks ago and business class was empty. I was in coach on an L fare with a systemwide about to expire, and they would not let me use it. They wanted 30K miles and $500 to upgrade.
Yes, correct, L is not upgradeable on UA - I was in that position a few times in the past myself; no luck other than having to purchase higher fare increase.

Originally Posted by bldr1k
Paper certificates seem to work on any LH fare if there are open seats. LH also sorts the list based on the time you are put on, and not by fare (according to a gate agent).
That is interesting and something I have heard before. There is definitely a fare restriction on the SWU LH vouchers; additionally, on top of fare class, is there is also a 'first come, first server' rule in place?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
I should have mentioned that earlier; I was flying LH on a paper SWU Voucher.
May be the mod should update the thread title to reflect this fact. The current title got a lot of people puzzled on the first look thinking that it is L on UA!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:19 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I bet this won't last. L is a bottom-feeder fare on LH, so I wouldn't be surprised if eventually LH says no upgrades from L, regardless of what the paper SWUs say. U is also not an excluding booking code, but I've always been told U is not upgradeable under any scheme.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by aau
I bet this won't last. L is a bottom-feeder fare on LH, so I wouldn't be surprised if eventually LH says no upgrades from L, regardless of what the paper SWUs say. U is also not an excluding booking code, but I've always been told U is not upgradeable under any scheme.
This matter has been clearly answered on FT by an LH rep some months ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15360557-post30.html
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Anyone have luck upgrading >1 passenger to F? 3 of us are flying in Z and I want to try to upgrade all of us with SWUs but based on prior comments on insufficient catering, I'm concerned that 3 unplanned F passengers wont fly even if upgrade space is available Thoughts?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by paullevi
Anyone have luck upgrading >1 passenger to F? 3 of us are flying in Z and I want to try to upgrade all of us with SWUs but based on prior comments on insufficient catering, I'm concerned that 3 unplanned F passengers wont fly even if upgrade space is available Thoughts?
We upgraded 2 for 2 in Nov 2010. Our outbound SFO-MUC was full however we did get the middle 2 seats in the 2nd row.... which is what we wanted. Return segment MUC-SFO there were 3 people total in F (including us - 5 empty seats left) so I would say your chances of upgrading 3 from Z to F would depend on your flight route.

Catering is more a matter of getting your upgrade request in time for them to load the food. We checked in a little over 2 hrs before departure.

Enjoy the service! I know some may gripe that the caviar is no longer beluga however I relished every last bit!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Angry Unted Paper SWU - LH refuses Upgrade

I was due to fly today from MUC to JFK with a United ticket, booking class L, on an LH metal, also LH booking class L.

A friend from the forum sent me a UA SWU. According to both the voucher's T&Cs and to the UA website, it should be good for an upgrade:

Systemwide Upgrade terms and conditions
nullnull
nullnullnullnull

1. Valid Carrier: This upgrade certificate may be used only on United, United Express or Lufthansa flights (only on multi-cabin aircraft) and not on flights operated by other airlines. Upgrade requests for flights marketed by other airlines but operated by United are only permitted at the airport on the day of travel, subject to availability.
nullnullnull
1a. Lufthansa Standby: This upgrade may be used on a standby basis, subject to availability, on the day of travel on any eligible Lufthansa flight in accordance with the terms and conditions of this certificate, except when booked in LH booking classes X, I, R, N, W, S and E. In addition L and T fares are also excluded for Intra-Europe flights. Please note: This upgrade requires a 14-day advanced notification to Mileage Plus in order to print and mail the certificate for presentation to Lufthansa on the day of departure. Please contact the MPI Service Center to have certificates printed.
nullnullnullnull
Source: UA website

Now, LH has "eco full" but not overbooked. Hence no complimentary upgrade. Then comes the voucher which should do the upgrade.

LH refuses... Now I am left in MUC... Several thousands of Euros damage... LH station manager in MUC does not even read the T&Cs...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
Several thousands of Euros damage...

F.R.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by flyin´ruddl

F.R.
Yes, I didnt understand the thousands of Euros either. Was the ticket thousands of Euros for Economy class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.