Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: topbonus Gold, TK Elite plus, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, Hertz Gold plus, Sixt Platinium
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
The denial was because of the booking class L
I had same experience as I asked for upgrade at JFK 2days ago. L is not allowed to be upgraded. On board (LH405) C was half empty therefore I directly asked again the crew for courtesy upgrade. Unfortuntally in my case the same person at LH business checkin was the responspible purser for this flight! So I got a 2nd deny. :-(((
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by brauni
I had same experience as I asked for upgrade at JFK 2days ago. L is not allowed to be upgraded. On board (LH405) C was half empty therefore I directly asked again the crew for courtesy upgrade. Unfortuntally in my case the same person at LH business checkin was the responspible purser for this flight! So I got a 2nd deny. :-(((
Courtesy upgrade from deeply discounted Eco in C? I am glad the crew was more reasonable and said "no". LH is not a "Ponyhof" and it keeps the environment as it need to be for the paying customers.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Do I need one or two UA paper SWU if wanting to upgrade two LH segments? How about UAxLH flights?

Have three options for a ticket, but rumors are the CO option from EWR-DEL is hard to get (with CO SWU upgrade).

IAD (UA) FRA (LH) DEL

EWR (LH) FRA (LH) DEL

EWR (CO) DEL

Any recommendations?

Price-wise LH is also $200 cheaper than CO.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rubenj
Do I need a UA paper SWU if wanting to upgrade two LH segments?....
You will need TWO paper SWUs, one for each LH operated segment - no carryover like for UA metal.
And an UA-LH itin will require two SWUs (one electronic, one paper).
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will need TWO paper SWUs, one for each LH operated segment - no carryover like for UA metal.
And an UA-LH itin will require two SWUs (one electronic, one paper).
Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
3/20/11 pek - fra lh 721

Failed to clear upgrade at check-in at at gate from C to F on the A380. \

Quite disappointed, but the LH C seat was comfortable enough.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
SFO-MUC: LH 459 failed with SWU C to F

SFO-MUC: LH 459 failed with SWU. Applied SWU immediately at gate opening in SFO. F was completely full. Z fare in C. Damn....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:26 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
SFO-MUC: LH 459 failed with SWU. [...] F was completely full. [...]
Why is this a "fail"? What did you expect when F was completely full?

Originally Posted by ORD Punk
Failed to clear upgrade at check-in at at gate from C to F on the A380. .

If this post is supposed to add to the discussion, then it would be interesting to hear the details why the upgrade failed.
If you don't provide any details, then what are we supposed to do with this information?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 22, 2011 at 7:53 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
The denial was because of the booking class L
Anybody who reads just a little FT knows that "V" is the cheapest fare bucket eligible for SWU on LH.
Btw: LH pictures checkin software prohibits all upgrades of buckets below "V" - unless operational.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: UA, AA
What's the earliest prior to flight you have upgraded?

Am going to be staying overnight in FRA prior to return to US and would like to use my SWU to go from C-F--any chance can be done night before AM flight? What's the earliest people have been able to upgrade--flight is at 0935.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:25 pm

Trying to give back

Originally Posted by goliath
Why is this a "fail"? What did you expect when F was completely full?
Dude, I'm trying to give data points to people and give back to flyertalk. I failed to get upgrade. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just trying to help others here on FT.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k; Hyatt Plat; SPG Gold; Avis PC Preferred; Priority Pass Select; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by seadoc
Am going to be staying overnight in FRA prior to return to US and would like to use my SWU to go from C-F--any chance can be done night before AM flight? What's the earliest people have been able to upgrade--flight is at 0935.
I dont know one way or the other for sure, but i would assume you cannot try and upgrade the night before. That being said, I do not think it would hurt to try.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Dude, I'm trying to give data points to people and give back to flyertalk. I failed to get upgrade. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just trying to help others here on FT.
Not trying to start an argument here, but how is this data point helping others on FT?
It could have been any flight on any date on any airline you were trying to upgrade using any upgrade instrument. If F is full, you won't get an upgrade to F.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
Not trying to start an argument here, but how is this data point helping others on FT?
It could have been any flight on any date on any airline you were trying to upgrade using any upgrade instrument. If F is full, you won't get an upgrade to F.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-2011-a.html
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:51 pm

Great, if there is a thread dedicated to upgrade fails, then it could have been posted there.

I still fail to see how others can learn from all these postings where upgrades were not given due to a class being full. Or should we start posting things like "today I was not able to buy a ticket from YYY to XXX on ZZ, because the flight was full" so that others can learn from it?

Just my 2 cents.

BTW: Thanks for the trip report in your signature. That was something I can learn from, we'll be on a similar flight in two weeks (MUC-LAX). ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.