Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Sightings on United Airlines [Through 2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity Sightings on United Airlines [Through 2011]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
I boarded and then sat a few rows behind Hilary Swank in F, LAX-BWI, on 2/19.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Speaking of Senators... I met John Kerry tonight on the people mover at IAD. He was going to FRA. Nice guy ^
Was this recently? If so, he might have been on his way to Ramstein AB to catch a mil air hop into Afghanistan. I read a couple of days ago he and 2 other US Senators had a rather adventurous heicopter ride while there.

According to the press, the helo had to "make an emergency landing" due to bad weather. What this really means is the helicopter pilot took advantage of the unique ability of a helicopter to land off airport, and wait out the weather.

However, all things considered, I'd rather do this in Kansas.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:56 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Muckus
I boarded and then sat a few rows behind Hilary Swank in F, LAX-BWI, on 2/19.
<heart thumping>. beautiful woman, gorgeous smile, and if she only wore her hair in a ponytail.......
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by evanroberts
I love Emily Post too, but "downgrading" ex-Presidents to Mr. doesn't seem to be done these days, if it was in 1922. It would be a good republican (small r!) thing to do again.
To me there is no bigger authority on such things than Miss Manners (plus she's terribly entertaining to read) and here's what she said in '06:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060601276.html

(summary: still the same as '22 - unique titles are not retained)

Frankly, I'd love to sit next to her on a flight, but I'd be afraid of committing an etiquette faux pas while trying to talk to her
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Somewhat on topic with the recent discussion, I saw Senators Kerry, Biden, and Hagel on UA933 (FRA-IAD) on Friday evening. I was in my favored 8A, and had a clear view into F, where the senators were sitting. My seatmate was a Marine traveling with the senators, really a fascinating guy. They were traveling back from the Middle East, where the senators had served as election monitors in Pakistan.

I don't know if it was due to the distinguished guests, but the service on the flight was fantastic ^
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Nosmo King
Was this recently? If so, he might have been on his way to Ramstein AB to catch a mil air hop into Afghanistan. I read a couple of days ago he and 2 other US Senators had a rather adventurous heicopter ride while there.

According to the press, the helo had to "make an emergency landing" due to bad weather. What this really means is the helicopter pilot took advantage of the unique ability of a helicopter to land off airport, and wait out the weather.

However, all things considered, I'd rather do this in Kansas.
Well, I did say "tonight" on a post dated the 17th right? ^ Yes, I left out the part where his and his companions were talking about which aircraft they'd be on going to FRA. I, to, later read about that emergency landing and realized "ah, thats where he was going..."
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by goalie
<heart thumping>. beautiful woman, gorgeous smile, and if she only wore her hair in a ponytail.......
Sorry, no pony tail. But, she looked beautiful. She has a very natural, girl next door beauty. And, she seemed like a friendly person who responded to a nod with a beautiful smile...
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
Al Gore at LAX RCC today

As we were getting ready to leave the RCC near Gate 71, at 12:20 this afternoon, Al Gore sat down a couple of seats away from us. At least two large Secret Service agents stood guard. He was wearing dark, wraparound sunglasses and a dark suit. I walked up to him and greeted him. He responded warmly and extended his hand to shake mine. He chuckled when I asked him if was going to jump into the Democratic race; "I don't think so," he said.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by glg
Governor Carter
Good catch!
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
easy there turbo
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by TimInSF
That is just not true. In my experience, any Federal elected official (executive branch or legislative branch) or official confirmed by the US Senate (judges, ambassadors, cabinet officials) retain their titles for life, regardless of how they left office.

Tim
Indeed.

In general, any honorific title, once earned or bestowed, is retained for life. Governor so-and-so even after leaving office, Colonel so-and-so even after retirement, Bishop so-and-so, etc. Not at all limited to Federal or elected officials. Of course it's certainly up to the individual how or if they would like to use it.

In the case of a former president, he is always addressed as President Carter or Mr. Carter, but never Mr. President. That is the title of the office-holder. I assume that's the case for any chief executive (mayor, governor, etc.)

I'm not sure why the Miss Manners link was not more thorough. She certainly knows better.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Originally Posted by SJPaul
Somewhat on topic with the recent discussion, I saw Senators Kerry, Biden, and Hagel on UA933 (FRA-IAD) on Friday evening. I was in my favored 8A, and had a clear view into F, where the senators were sitting. My seatmate was a Marine traveling with the senators, really a fascinating guy. They were traveling back from the Middle East, where the senators had served as election monitors in Pakistan.

I don't know if it was due to the distinguished guests, but the service on the flight was fantastic ^
So, I've got to ask, as a perpetually annoyed over-taxed Mass. resident - is it normal for a Senetor to be flying in an international F seat?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
At least here in Colorado, our Senators/Congressmen fly Y. I often fly with Sen. Salazar/Rep. Salazar, et. al. on the DCA-DEN non-stop and they are usually in Y. I've talked to them and they say that when they do fly F, they do it using their own upgrade instruments, which I have absolutely no problem with. But then, Colorado has a lower tax rate than MA...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Perhaps the SENS are allowed government paid C (or even F) class travel for long flights, such as IAD-Afghanistan.. and maybe they upgraded themselves to F using their own upgrade instruments for by paying additional $... Kerry (through is wife) is one of the wealthiest senators...

Come to think of it.. I wonder why they didnt use a government jet for an official visit like that.. paying for F class for each of them was probably cheaper than using a government plane..maybe they agreed to commercial F vs private jet to save $.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Sight Seeing

During a MR early Feb. I was in the RCC @ JFK with Milla Jov . . . (5th Element); Dan Marino, Cynthia Stevenson (lunch at next table . . hubba hubba), Dennis Hopper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.