Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Sightings on United Airlines [Through 2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity Sightings on United Airlines [Through 2011]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Perhaps the SENS are allowed government paid C (or even F) class travel for long flights, such as IAD-Afghanistan.. and maybe they upgraded themselves to F using their own upgrade instruments for by paying additional $... Kerry (through is wife) is one of the wealthiest senators...

Come to think of it.. I wonder why they didnt use a government jet for an official visit like that.. paying for F class for each of them was probably cheaper than using a government plane..maybe they agreed to commercial F vs private jet to save $.
They probably can use space available on military flights, but no one wants to use space available on military flights.

If you are on the Presidential line of Succession, you get a private military plane.

If you recall there was a flap about Nancy Pelosi and her private plane being bigger than Dennis Hastert's plane. It turned out that because she was on the west coast it was cheaper since they would not have to land an refuel.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleFred
At least two large Secret Service agents stood guard.
He's a former VP. Secret Service protection ended on his last day. You sure they weren't RCC matrons?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Originally Posted by flyinbob
He's a former VP. Secret Service protection ended on his last day. You sure they weren't RCC matrons?
http://www.secretservice.gov/protection.shtml

Correct Hmm, probably private bodyguards... (Odd though...)

I wonder which is more intimidating... An RCC matron or a big secret service guy with a gun....

I might just take the guy with the gun. At least you know what will happen to you if you mess with him.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:06 pm

I the un official rules to Secret Service protection changed after 911.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by SJPaul
Somewhat on topic with the recent discussion, I saw Senators Kerry, Biden, and Hagel on UA933 (FRA-IAD) on Friday evening. I was in my favored 8A, and had a clear view into F, where the senators were sitting. My seatmate was a Marine traveling with the senators, really a fascinating guy. They were traveling back from the Middle East, where the senators had served as election monitors in Pakistan.

I don't know if it was due to the distinguished guests, but the service on the flight was fantastic ^
In keeping with the typical FT UA theme, you should have asked them what sort of compensation they got for having their helicopter flight in Afghanistan aborted (I actually think they had to land unexpectedly) due to a snowstorm.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
Originally Posted by flyinbob
You're probably right—they did not offer me drink chits.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: MP, Hilton, SPG
Berti Vogts, trainer of the german national soccer team on IAD-MUC
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: UA GS
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The Bush Srs are in the ORD IFL. I thought they would fly AA being that they are from Texas. The entourage is going through the food like locust.

I can't tell if they are flying on 883 - that's the flight I'm on. But that would be cool.

Well trying not to make eye contact I looked up at the ceiling. Have you ever the nasty stains on the IFL ceilings. They look like the stains on the summer mattress at summer camp. Yuck!!!!

Update. Looks like they are flying 851 to Beijing. Boarded through the door by the end of the food area.

Last edited by iwebslinger; Mar 4, 2008 at 10:59 am
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:07 pm

Programs: ex-elite, now just pay C/J myself to avoid the hassle of keeping status.
wow I am so impressed! both that you were in the same room with him and the fact that he did not travel in a private jet! also, i think people like him won't really care about which airlines they fly as long as there is first class and best time. plus, secret service must have arranged his itinerary for him instead of asking him "so what frequent flyer program do you have?"
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by undersky
wow I am so impressed! both that you were in the same room with him and the fact that he did not travel in a private jet! also, i think people like him won't really care about which airlines they fly as long as there is first class and best time. plus, secret service must have arranged his itinerary for him instead of asking him "so what frequent flyer program do you have?"
Yes I would assume the flight that best fits schedule is going to win out over who do I have miles with. As for flying private ORD-PEK would be quite the haul in a private jet, I think you'd need a G5 or falcon 7x to make that flight, which would be some serious $$$$$$$$$$$.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
When you fly paid F, miles and FF benefits don't really matter. I don't think there are that many benefits for a UGS over paid F.

Originally Posted by ryan182
Yes I would assume the flight that best fits schedule is going to win out over who do I have miles with. As for flying private ORD-PEK would be quite the haul in a private jet, I think you'd need a G5 or falcon 7x to make that flight, which would be some serious $$$$$$$$$$$.
In a private plane, they would not go non-stop. Probably ORD-ANC-PEK.

Last edited by HaeMaker; Mar 4, 2008 at 1:42 pm Reason: removed dumb "infrequent traveler" bit.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HaeMaker

In a private plane, they would not go non-stop. Probably ORD-ANC-PEK.
Both the G550/GV and Falcon 7x can actually make it NS according netjets range finder. The G550 has max rage of 7697sm but I am sure that would be $$$$
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by homunculus
Berti Vogts, trainer of the german national soccer team on IAD-MUC

A sports team trainer is a "celebrity"?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ColoBill1
A sports team trainer is a "celebrity"?
Heh. Isn't Pat Riley or Phil Jackson or Joe Gibbs (or even Bill Bellicheat)? (Not that I'm a s-cc-r lover or anything!)
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
He's actually fairly accessible. When I was at Texas A&M, there were a couple of times when I looked up from the elliptical trainer or bike to see a couple of oddly out of place gentlemen standing around the student rec center in black suits. Sure enough, there was George, Sr. getting in a workout and chatting with students.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.