Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Sightings on United Airlines [Through 2011]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity Sightings on United Airlines [Through 2011]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleFred
Ann Telnaes, Pulitzer-winning political cartoonist. I doubt many would recognize her face, but you've likely seen her work.

Flying IAD-FCO in C, I was chatting with my delightful seat opponent. She was on her way to Rome for an international conference for political cartoonists. She spent much of the flight working on her MacBook Pro, preparing a presentation she was going to give. When I asked if I could see some of her work, she said I should just look at her website.

A few days after I returned home, I did take a look at www.anntelnaes.com. I was blown away—I love her cartoons! I said to myself, "Show me the newspaper that publishes this stuff and I'll subscribe." I thought I had discovered an incredible new talent—then I saw that little link to the Pulitzer website. I guess I'm not the only one who loves the dead-on aim of the darts she throws with delightfully wicked and acerbic wit.
Eeee, I'm a huge Ann Telnaes fan! Though if I had been you, I would've let her know that her website sometimes doesn't work very well.

snic, "seat opponent" is a more accurate term than "seatmate," as the latter implies you are sharing the same seat. Another acceptable term is rowmate.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Guess who I saw AGAIN!?!?!??!

For the second time in less than a year, I saw Screech...This time it was just at the F11 boarding area at ORD. I assume he was going to MKE again, as the first time around I learned he lived there. This time it was a little weird...As I walked from the RCC to F11 to board my flight home to MBS, he was sitting on the floor, right near where the door is, eating a huge bag of McDonald's food. No one recognized him, and I got my fill of him the first time around, so didn't say anything this time.

It's my second double-spotting of a celebrity. I've met Montel Williams TWICE on ORD-LAS (pre-Ted) flights. And I wonder why I get Screech twice, but yet to see any of the following: Cameron Diaz, Scarlett Johansson, Uma Thurman or Kate Hudson. (I did sit next to Beyonce's manager on LAX-JFK in first, but noooo can't get Beyonce either ).
Beyonce's Dad is her manager so you were close.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by BDLORD
Beyonce's Dad is her manager
Still? I swear I'd read there were "creative differences" and she'd gotten outside management.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:39 pm

Saw Patrick Dempsey at ORD Red Carpet Club - twice in three months.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott LTP
Saw the Flying Tomato (aka Shaun White) on a DEN to CLD flight via LAX the other day.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
This one goes way back, but in 1990 I was scheduled to fly from non rev (my dad was a pilot) on CO from DEN-EWR on the red eye. I called before heading to the airport and was told that there were 30 or so seats available. When I got to the airport I walked out to the gate to check in and was told that the flight was sold out. Confused, the GA told me that a band had purchased the remaining seats on the the plane. I pleaded with her for a seat but she said that she couldn't do anything because no seats were available to fill. She suggested I wait and try and talk with the band to see if they would free up a seat. Along came the band, New Kids on the Block, and some handlers and one of them approached the agent to check in. I walked up and introduced myself, explained my situation and asked if they could free up a seat. He said no, that the band didn't want to be bothered and off they went down the jetway. The agent kind of smiled and apologized. I never liked that band before and really didn't like them after this.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gmitchs
Along came the band, New Kids on the Block, and some handlers and one of them approached the agent to check in. I walked up and introduced myself, explained my situation and asked if they could free up a seat. He said no, that the band didn't want to be bothered and off they went down the jetway.

Calling New Kids on the Block a "band" is stretching it. Maybe "Professional Lip Synch Artists" would be more appropriate.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:17 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Wow. I do sympathize with your plight, but major thumbs down to that agent. If I bought 30 Y-class tickets, the last thing I'd expect is for the gate agent to go blabbing to everyone else who wants a seat that they can just bug me for them.

That's like the Blockbuster guy telling you who has checked out the movie you want so you can go and bug them.

Totally inappropriate. The flight was sold out, and that's all they should have told you. If you went to the trouble and expense to buy all of those extra seats would you want people chasing you down the jetway asking to buy them off of you?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by robb
Wow. I do sympathize with your plight, but major thumbs down to that agent. If I bought 30 Y-class tickets, the last thing I'd expect is for the gate agent to go blabbing to everyone else who wants a seat that they can just bug me for them.

That's like the Blockbuster guy telling you who has checked out the movie you want so you can go and bug them.

Totally inappropriate. The flight was sold out, and that's all they should have told you. If you went to the trouble and expense to buy all of those extra seats would you want people chasing you down the jetway asking to buy them off of you?
Hello Robb-

Not sure if the agent blabbed to everyone or if there was another non-rev in the same boat, but I think she genuinely wanted to find me a seat. I do know that she was requested to notify some of the other passengers about the band to see if they would mind giving up their original seats so that the band could sit together in the back. I was just hoping that they wouldn't mind if I took a seat somewhere away from them and slept to EWR.

I understand your point though.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
This one goes way back, but in 1990 I was scheduled to fly from non rev (my dad was a pilot) on CO from DEN-EWR on the red eye.
Just FYI.... this is Celebrity sightings on UA
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:20 pm

Hello Robb-

Not sure if the agent blabbed to everyone or if there was another non-rev in the same boat, but I think she genuinely wanted to find me a seat. I do know that she was requested to notify some of the other passengers about the band to see if they would mind giving up their original seats so that the band could sit together in the back. I was just hoping that they wouldn't mind if I took a seat somewhere away from them and slept to EWR.

I understand your point though.
I didn't catch that this was a non-rev situation, but that makes it even more inappropriate.

Now, not only are the guys who just paid $30,000 to fly DEN-EWR getting harassed to sell what they just bought, but the agent is telling a non-rev to do the harassing with the best possible outcome being a loss of $1,000 of revenue to the airline!

I'm sorry, and I realize that you're new here (and I really do want to say welcome to FlyerTalk), but this agent should have been disciplined. The first rule of non-rev travel is that you don't exist. As a dependent, you may not always be aware of that, but the agent sure was, and was completely out of line to sic you on a paying passenger.

As a paying passenger (or as a non-rev unaware of the rules), I might have done the same thing you did when the agent told me the story, so I don't blame you, but the gate agent screwed up big time.

Having said that. As a non-rev pre-9/11, couldn't you have flown in a jumpseat?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Just FYI.... this is Celebrity sightings on UA
...and a further FYI... this is Celebrity sightings on UA.

(New kids on the bleeeh!)
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:35 pm

Ha. I thought that was the joke jhayes was making.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:49 pm

Having said that. As a non-rev pre-9/11, couldn't you have flown in a jumpseat?[/QUOTE]

Robb-

It was my impression, from back then, that it was up to the entire crew, pilots and FA's, to decide if a family member could fly in the jumpseat.
There may even have been a rule, written or unwritten, but alas, this option was not offered for my NKOTB flight. The only times (maybe 3 total) I ever flew in the cockpit were when my dad was the pilot and the other pilot agreed and the back of the plane was full. I did get booted from the cockpit once when one of the crew spoke up. I was probably 13 or 14 and travelling with my dad on Christmas. I waved to him as their plane pushed back, waited two hours for the next flight, got the last seat, in F , and met him at LAX later that night.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. Having flown non-rev for most of my pre-adult years, I am used to some rough treatment!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by robb
Ha. I thought that was the joke jhayes was making.
I was actually serious (hence the no smiley in my post)...... the NKOTB guy should be discussing this in the CO Forum (just my .02 worth)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.