Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
shush :-) I didn't realize it would be appreciated that much. AC seems to be better than other airlines, but United will soon catch on. At $3300 per ticket, unless you really had to go to India (like I do), you are spending $14-15K to keep status. IMHO, that's too much of an investment to preserve 1K. Also, AC fares are not cheap from their hubs; however when you are connecting from U.S. fares are much more competitive - just like UA.
That's probably true in some cases but certainly not all. Here's just one example:

CLE-TLV Feb 19, return Feb 27 (just picked random dates) in Business

UA: $8163 (via EWR or IAD)
AC: $6573 (via YYZ)

By contrast....
YYZ - TLV sames dates in Business

AC: $2951 (nonstop)

So AC is charging a passenger $3622 for CLE-YYZ and back which is a 35 minute flight on the Devil's Chariot.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nubbeldupp
I'm trying to change the results so you can edit them and if you made a mistake you don't have to enter it all over again. Right now I can't get it to work properly so it might take a few days.
I got it now. I Used the wrong quotation mark.
It took me over an hour to figure it out.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 18, 2019 at 2:36 pm Reason: GIFs not allowed per FT Rule 8, https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#images
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: United 1K Hilton Diamond
How do these changes affect domestic Canada flights on AC? Prevoiusly would earned 25% pqm on stalk fare class, does any of that apply now?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OccasionalCanuck
How do these changes affect domestic Canada flights on AC? Prevoiusly would earned 25% pqm on stalk fare class, does any of that apply now?
PQMs are gone as of 12/31/19. You need to read up on UA's new qualification scheme (UA site or the thread discussing it in this forum), plus how it applies to tickets/flights issued/operated by non-UA carriers (wiki in this thread)
Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by OccasionalCanuck
no change to that. Still 25%
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:54 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by 1984SW
For non-UA flights on non-016 (i.e. non-UA) ticket, hands down the easiest way to calculate PQP: UA PQP CALC -- created by FT's own Hipplewm.
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
You overestimate my skillset, I didn't make that website. I however did link it a few times. I have no idea who made it, but kudos to them - not me.
I finally stumbled upon the username of the author of the UA PQP CALC app: nubbeldupp ! With my aging, increasingly dyslexic, bumbling mind I can see the easy similarity in usernames, though I bet most people wouldn't...

I'm going to amend the post with the correct username next.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:22 am

Attention:

Looks like UA already changed some mileage earnings.
Just found a EW Fare in G and I've got 75% earnings in my database. Looking at the charts on united.com G should get you 100%.
Other EW fareclasses are affected as well.

I'll have to check all of them. I hope I manage to do this today...

Never mind... i looked used the wrong table

Last edited by nubbeldupp; Nov 20, 2019 at 11:56 am Reason: correction
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Just booked a Lufthansa fare on Lufthansa.com that has a single UA metal leg, the rest are economy or Premium Economy.

Route is
Outbound: JFK->MUC (LH Prem Economy N Fare), MUC->TXL (LH Economy Y Fare)
Return: TXL->FRA (LH Economy Y Fare), FRA->LAS (LH Prem Economy E Fare Operated by SunExpress), LAS->SFO (LH Codeshare Economy Y Fare on UA Metal)

On united.com my itinerary shows up and says I'm only going to earn 1,061 PQP / 4 PQF. There are clearly 5 segments, and by the chart at the beginning of this the LH segments should be much more than this alone.

By my math it should be:
JFK->MUC == Deep Discount Prem Economy @ 20% x 4038 = 807.6
MUC->TXL == Economy @ 30% x 500 = 150
TXL->FRA == Economy @ 30% x 500 = 150
FRA->LAS == Discount Prem Economy @ 30% x 5583 = 1674.9
LAS->SFO == Economy @ 30% x 500 = 150
Expected PQP = 2,932.50
Expected PQF = 5

What am I missing? Is united.com wrong or am I really only earning such a low amount on this? Is it because of the "Operated by SunExpress" on the FRA->LAS flight?)

Last edited by RdFltErr; Nov 26, 2019 at 7:44 am
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RdFltErr
What am I missing? Is united.com wrong or am I really only earning such a low amount on this? Is it because of the "Operated by SunExpress" on the FRA->LAS flight?)
The 500-mile minimum will not apply, so your German legs are too high; SunExpress isn’t a United partner, so I suspect that flight won’t earn anything. And the LAS-SFO leg will earn based upon whatever amount of fare UA has allocated to that segment, just like it would on a 016 ticket.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The 500-mile minimum will not apply, so your German legs are too high; SunExpress isn’t a United partner, so I suspect that flight won’t earn anything. And the LAS-SFO leg will earn based upon whatever amount of fare UA has allocated to that segment, just like it would on a 016 ticket.
Thanks. You were right. I cancelled and rebooked on strictly LH metal and now the calculations are as I expected. Also, thanks for clarifying the 500 mile minimum thing

UPDATE: Well, trying to chase status, I just couldn't resist. Ended up re-booking on UA stock afterall. 1,000 less PQP but $1,500 round-trip premium plus on Jan 2nd (~New Years!) to Berlin and back to SFO. Hard to resist.

Last edited by RdFltErr; Nov 26, 2019 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
SunExpress is operating flights on behalf of Eurowings, on behalf of LH. I was looking at flights to Namibia then saw the LH option was operated by SunExpress which turns out to be a Turkish charter airline. Had never heard of them.

I looked at their reviews online. That was enough to steer me away.

Eurowings will still earn PQP and PQF after 1 Jan and is a preferred partner, so *maybe* your FRA-LAS flight will earn and it could be a UA glitch. Others may have better knowledge of flights with the "operated by" distinction.

EDIT: moot point now after your canx.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Just booked a YEG-RAK trip in AC J. Fare was broadly similar to the UA one, but earns approximately 2.2 PQPs per dollar spent.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by bart889
Just booked a YEG-RAK trip in AC J. Fare was broadly similar to the UA one, but earns approximately 2.2 PQPs per dollar spent.
AC J on non-UA tickets really looks like a sweet spot (similar for PE actually).

Although as someone who flies out of Switzerland, J fares are sufficiently high that AC J only gets you more PQP when fares are at the low end of the local spectrum (bought 1+ month in advance, restricted choice of planes, booking into P when flying UA and LH-group).
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Anyone else earning more PQPs for cheaper booking partner flights?

Hi,

I'm booking out my TATL and TPAC flights for next year. So far on each and every one I'm earning way more PQPs for cheaper by flying with someone else other than United!.

For example SFO to SYD with NZ. UA costs $1300 but earns just 1100 PQP ($200 in fees and taxes).

But I can get a T class fare with NZ for $1200 which nets me (16000 * 0.5 (T class multiplier)/ 5 (NZ is a prefered partner) ) = 1600 PQP.

So its a Win Win situation for me but not so for UA.

Did UA really think this true or will be see an adjustment soon.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's only true for a handful of corner cases on cheap fares. UA just doesn't care, and it will end when there is better data sharing as part of mileage credit and they can just give you the correct fare even for a partner.

With NZ and many, many other of the "good deal" partners you're paying UA anyway since it's a JV route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.