Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by undergrace
I am incredibly late to the party and just discovered the new 2020 MP changes. I have already earned *G for 2020 and am trying to make sure I understand a specific point of the new plan regarding partner airlines. I live in China and a majority of my PQM were earned on partners.

An article on FlyerTalk said ”The new system is quite simple – for every flight taken on a Preferred Partner, United will award PQP equal to the miles divided by 5. MileagePlus Partner tickets will be divided by 6. Each flight with an eligible partner will also award one PQF.”

Does this mean the Fare Class no longer matters?? I've booked trips before (for example, SQ: SIN-JNB) where my Fare was classified as DDE and earned 0% credit. Will that flight/fare class now get Miles÷6?

As a rare UA flyer, getting 100% of my flights credited regardless of fare class would be a nice surprise! I feel like it just can't be that good...
Fare class does matter, since it factors into award miles credit determination.

Here is a comprehensive explanation:

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

It will take some work, but you can retrospectively work out whether or not you'd have been better off this year. Perhaps that is useful for you in decided whether or not to stay with UA MP next year.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
UA Partner Mileage Accrual on A & O Fares

I'm trying to strategize the best way to do an ANA fare to Tokyo under the new PQP system but need to know if the partner mileage that UA would calculate would include a fare uplift on the partner fare basis. Does UA calculate partner mileage solely on distance or do they give a higher calculation for using an A or O fare?

Anyone know how the partner mileage accrual works?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brarob1
Does UA calculate partner mileage solely on distance or do they give a higher calculation for using an A or O fare?
There's something wrong with your analysis here.

The answer is that the amount of PQP on a partner flight, on a partner ticket, does depend upon the fare class, and you can find the charts on United's website.

However, when you're asking about O and A fares, that suggests that you're talking about buying your ticket from United. If you buy a partner ticket from United, your PQP will be based upon the actual fare, regardless of distance traveled.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:49 am

A little help please....

I booked a RT Business class Air Canada flight from AUS to LHR for June of next year using my Chase Saphire points, plus some cash.

Due to a schedule change Chase had to rebook my outbound flight onto a United flight, but my return is still AC.

I believe I should get PQP via AC (and/or United) for this flight. However the United app is showing as not illegible.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

-Dan
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you are flying UA metal, you will earn PQP by price. In the new world, basically all flights on eligible metal will earn PQP.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by findark
If you are flying UA metal, you will earn PQP by price. In the new world, basically all flights on eligible metal will earn PQP.

That makes sense, however my concern is that the united app is saying that one of more flights are ineligible to earn mileage or Premier qualifying credit. Is that part of changing things over, or something I need to be concerned about?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Dweyant
That makes sense, however my concern is that the united app is saying that one of more flights are ineligible to earn mileage or Premier qualifying credit. Is that part of changing things over, or something I need to be concerned about?
Projected earnings for trips have never been particularly accurate, so that is nothing new. I wouldn't worry - you can always get it fixed after the fact if it does not post correctly (which is quite rare).
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dweyant
UA has been perpetually unable to display qualification information properly sine they started the PQD scheme more than five years ago. There's no reason to be concerned, and there's nothing that you can do right now. There's a very, very good chance that it will post properly after you fly; in the unlikely event that it doesn't, you'll follow up with the MileagePlus Service Center and they can take care of it.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MM, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nubbeldupp
Since I completed the Backend I'll now focus on making the website more convenient. Unfortunately I'm not a skilled WebDev so it could take a while. This also is the first time I'm using Bootstrap.

I changed some of the sizes and after testing it on my iPhone X and 9.7" iPad it should work better now.

iPad: Full table visible in portrait and landscape mode. No scrolling needed.
iPhone: Full table in landscape mode, scrolling in portrait.
Where's the link to the page/document or is it just the image?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brarob1
Where's the link to the page/document or is it just the image?
try this
I wrote some PHP to calculate the PQP earnings on non016. It's still very much a work in progress since I'm missing most of the airlines and the fareclasses....
You can try it if you'd like.

http://pqp-calc.com

Feedback is much appreciated
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
question about wiki

The Wiki says:

"" Other Partner Airlines (NO Premier credit): 3M 4B 9K EI HA UK VW
Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM). ""

This hasn't been the case for myself. When I purchase 016-stock tickets on 9K, United would credit me PQMs, (and PQDs and reward miles). Are you sure that 016-stock tickets will not provide credit in 2020 forward?

Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I updated the PQP-Calculator.

- You can now use ICAO-Codes as well and even mix them with IATA-Codes

- I changed some code for security reasons to prevent XSS and SQL-Injection

I'm also currently working on enhancing the usability.
I'm trying to change the results so you can edit them and if you made a mistake you don't have to enter it all over again. Right now I can't get it to work properly so it might take a few days.
I’m late at reading this thread. Thank you so much for that PQP calculator. I shared it with my friends a month ago (so they would stop asking me how many PQPs they would earn ). It is a fantastic resource. Happy to know who created it and to say THANK YOU!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsalem94122
The Wiki says:

Note that for the third category you will earn RDM but no PQP, regardless of ticket stock (this is no change from before when you would not earn PQM). ""

This hasn't been the case for myself. When I purchase 016-stock tickets on 9K, United would credit me PQMs, (and PQDs and reward miles). Are you sure that 016-stock tickets will not provide credit in 2020 forward?

I am not sure, but the United website claims such. The 9K partner page has no PQM listed, and the new PQP partner list does not include 9K as earning. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gsalem94122
The Wiki says:

The quote from United.com is unusually clear which does not mean they won't give it anyway. WK has been a problem for years which MP was very happy to fix every time I flew WK. I guess it will be wait and see.

Premier qualifying credit is not earned on Aer Lingus, Aeromar, Boutique Air, Cape Air, Hawaiian Airlines, Vistara or Silver Airways
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:51 pm

United new PQP on Air Canada Flights

From reading the info, if you book on AC (none 016 ticket) and your AC class is eligible for mileage points, PQP = "bum in seat miles" / 6
So it doesnt matter if you fly first class on AC to India or Basic Economy (says 25% mileage points within Aeroplan), you still get mileage flown / 6
What if your flight is less than 500 miles, do you still start at 500/6 or do they use true mileage always.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.