Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Because business class tickets cost more but still yield the same amount of PQP as a premium economy ticket on partner airlines, with a few exceptions (AC, NH, CA) that have additional RDM bonuses.
And buying business can even work against you: LH, full fare premium economy earns 150% whereas Discount Business is 100%.

Our company policy prohibits C from being purchased, but is perfectly fine with Economy or Premium Economy.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DBCme
And buying business can even work against you: LH, full fare premium economy earns 150% whereas Discount Business is 100%.
Full fare Premium Economy is often more expensive than discount business class.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mduell
What program is a static target that doesn't moves?
Ones that are mileage based rather than fare based (changing constantly), or for example, the new LH Hon Circle qualification that is segment based.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by east_west
Ones that are mileage based rather than fare based (changing constantly), or for example, the new LH Hon Circle qualification that is segment based.
Mileage based programs still move. The new HON qualification in itself is a major change.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Mileage based programs still move. The new HON qualification in itself is a major change.
Yes, but typically at the beginning of the program year. Fares change constantly and hence are difficult to plan around.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, but typically at the beginning of the program year. Fares change constantly and hence are difficult to plan around.
But the fare based programs are still a static target, fixed from the beginning of the year what you need to spend. If you plan to spend the money you can spend the money.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
As noted above, the dollar amount is fixed at the beginning of the year. Not sure what the difficulty is around planning around spend, unless you're expecting fares to drop!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The perverse thing about UA's new program is that, at least for MMers, it disincentivizes being involved in MP at all. Like many, I start the year with a very rough idea of my likely trips over the year but not at all clear. If I knew precisely what I was going to do, I could research and buy the tickets to ensure that I achieved my status. But I don't have any clear idea. It's perfectly possible that I'd hit Plat or 1K, but equally likely I won't. So, I conclude that it's better not to bother at all, and aim for status in a program which allows a static target rather than a moving target - and, as a MM, that is probably better as a non *A program. So I read the new MP as meaning that I switch from flying UA or its partners as a matter of strong preference to NOT flying them as a matter of strong preference. Odd.
It seems to all come down to money. UA must make decent money on flights their JV partners fly, which is why they give a lower divisor for those tickets. I would not be surprised if travel patterns / bookings dictate that they increase the divisor on non-preferred partners in 2021. They could just devalue both next year depending on what happens - I'm sure they care much more about turning UA-metal flights into purely a spending exercise. That was the big change; they can devalue the 'minor' stuff more easily later.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:13 pm

As noted above, the dollar amount is fixed at the beginning of the year. Not sure what the difficulty is around planning around spend, unless you're expecting fares to drop!
Yes, this is the issue, fares fluctuate all the time, up and down. If I expect to fly six J class flights to Europe/Asia in a calendar year, I can predict the mile accumulation very closely and pad as needed to hit a mileage target. With spend, the price of those six tickets can be all over the place depending on purchase date, travel date, fare sales, etc.

But the fare based programs are still a static target, fixed from the beginning of the year what you need to spend. If you plan to spend the money you can spend the money.
Yes, but I'd rather be able to plan for this in advance. With the predictability of mileage earning over a year, I can plan a summer vacation 6 months in advance to hit the target. With spend, depending on how the year went I may be forced to do something last minute in November/December.

Last edited by east_west; Nov 16, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, this is the issue, fares fluctuate all the time, up and down. If I expect to fly six J class flights to Europe/Asia in a calendar year, I can predict the mile accumulation very closely and pad as needed to hit a mileage target. With spend, the price of those six tickets can be all over the place depending on purchase date, travel date, fare sales, etc.

Yes, but I'd rather be able to plan for this in advance. With the predictability of mileage earning over a year, I can plan a summer vacation 6 months in advance to hit the target. With spend, depending on how the year went I may be forced to do something last minute in November/December.
You can pad the spend even easier than you can pad the mileage. Buy whatever is available for the first few, and then (given the availability of arbitrarily high fares on longhaul J) pad out the last one you buy for the year to hit your goal.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:37 pm

You can pad the spend even easier than you can pad the mileage. Buy whatever is available for the first few, and then (given the availability of arbitrarily high fares on longhaul J) pad out the last one you buy for the year to hit your goal.
With corporate travel policies, you can't pad the spend in this way, you have to buy the lowest available fare for the allowed fare class. The padding is with personal/vacation travel, which is fine, but I'd rather know how much padding is necessary earlier in the calendar year, not in Nov/Dec.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
With corporate travel policies, you can't pad the spend in this way, you have to buy the lowest available fare for the allowed fare class. The padding is with personal/vacation travel, which is fine, but I'd rather know how much padding is necessary earlier in the calendar year, not in Nov/Dec.
But that's no different than a mileage requirement. A lot of corporate travelers (especially consultants) don't know where their projects will be the following year, and come Nov/Dec, those people will need to make a mileage runs. Whether it's miles/spend/dollars/points, those are all fixed at the beginning of the year, some will qualify early, others will qualify later.

In my opinion, spend is easier to increase than mileage, with partner carriers on longhaul J vs. having to go through multiple segments to increase mileage (and waste time). Of course, if you're a pure domestic flyer, then that may not apply.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:07 pm

But that's no different than a mileage requirement. A lot of corporate travelers (especially consultants) don't know where their projects will be the following year, and come Nov/Dec, those people will need to make a mileage runs. Whether it's miles/spend/dollars/points, those are all fixed at the beginning of the year, some will qualify early, others will qualify later.

In my opinion, spend is easier to increase than mileage, with partner carriers on longhaul J vs. having to go through multiple segments to increase mileage (and waste time). Of course, if you're a pure domestic flyer, then that may not apply.
I get that different industries have different models. In tech, I know I have to visit a team or conferences ~3 times a year each in Europe and Asia. Even though exact dates are uncertain, with high certainty I can estimate total mileage. Sounds like lhrsfo is similar. But spend various drastically based on the above mentioned factors, with significantly higher variance at the end of the year. With most corporate travel policies, if you don't book the lowest J fare, alarm bells go off, so spend is what it is for the travel.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The perverse thing about UA's new program is that, at least for MMers, it disincentivizes being involved in MP at all. Like many, I start the year with a very rough idea of my likely trips over the year but not at all clear. If I knew precisely what I was going to do, I could research and buy the tickets to ensure that I achieved my status. But I don't have any clear idea. It's perfectly possible that I'd hit Plat or 1K, but equally likely I won't. So, I conclude that it's better not to bother at all, and aim for status in a program which allows a static target rather than a moving target - and, as a MM, that is probably better as a non *A program. So I read the new MP as meaning that I switch from flying UA or its partners as a matter of strong preference to NOT flying them as a matter of strong preference. Odd.
There you have it. I figured this out the minute they changed the problem to be revenue-based. You can go with partner airlines, but the sweetest spots are 3MMers/4MMers flying on expensive partner premium on LH, NH, upon which you can apply the GPUs.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
I updated the PQP-Calculator.

- You can now use ICAO-Codes as well and even mix them with IATA-Codes

- I changed some code for security reasons to prevent XSS and SQL-Injection

I'm also currently working on enhancing the usability.
I'm trying to change the results so you can edit them and if you made a mistake you don't have to enter it all over again. Right now I can't get it to work properly so it might take a few days.

Last edited by nubbeldupp; Nov 18, 2019 at 12:57 pm Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.