Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Mama
Wow. This is a great find. By "deep discount business ", I am assuming it is around USD2000. 24000 PQPs for $2000 x 4 trips = $8000. That just make you about qualify 1K. Even if it's $3000 per trip, still a bargain.
Given OP says it would earn 3,000 PQP on UA, I assume the fare is $3,200 or so. But yes, while AC P remains 40% of the distance it's a great way to qualify.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Pray tell, what is the point of UA allowing this 1K "lite" method via AC? If they are trying to increase spend on UA this seems a funny way of going about it. But it may be that I just really don't have a clue about how codeshare, non-016 ticketing works in this respect and as they said in 1981, it is a "win-win" for both. But I don't get it in light of the direction UA seems to be heading. If I were UA this "loophole" would be slammed shut. And as I said, I could be missing the bleedin' obvious here!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Pray tell, what is the point of UA allowing this 1K "lite" method via AC? If they are trying to increase spend on UA this seems a funny way of going about it. But it may be that I just really don't have a clue about how codeshare, non-016 ticketing works in this respect and as they said in 1981, it is a "win-win" for both. But I don't get it in light of the direction UA seems to be heading. If I were UA this "loophole" would be slammed shut. And as I said, I could be missing the bleedin' obvious here!
You can cheat on PQP flying partners but that alone won't get you very far in terms of PQF. (Think about the PQP to PQF ratio.) Eventually you'll need to balance your flying with short hauls, and if you are US-based, you'll have to use UA. (Or LH group in Europe, or NH/BR/TG/SQ in Asia, etc.) Maybe short haul/domestic is where UA can make more money. And if you're a hub captive, a RT is often 2 PQF instead of 4. Maybe many transpac and transatlantic markets have very low profits.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:25 am

For travellers not based in the US (i.e. Europe) there is no better way to show loyalty to UA and *A than by flying partners. UA doesn't fly everywhere we fly and UA can't tell how much a fare costs from the partners. Sure, UA could reduce accrual on the partners but then that would reduce any reason to fly UA to begin with since DollarsPlus still requires you to fly 4 segments on CoUniHound.

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
You can cheat on PQP flying partners but that alone won't get you very far in terms of PQF. (Think about the PQP to PQF ratio.) Eventually you'll need to balance your flying with short hauls, and if you are US-based, you'll have to use UA. (Or LH group in Europe, or NH/BR/TG/SQ in Asia, etc.) Maybe short haul/domestic is where UA can make more money. And if you're a hub captive, a RT is often 2 PQF instead of 4. Maybe many transpac and transatlantic markets have very low profits.
PQF is merely a suggestion in the new program. If you can't hit the PQF just fly a bit more on the partners. For instance, you can hit Gold with 10,000 PQP alone regardless of PQFs flown.

-James
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's not really worth their time to close it.. there are a very small number of high-leverage flights which can boost your status, and that's something which has always been true. A small number of dedicated FTers will move their mileage runs from $300 K fares to Asia to $2,000 P fares to India, and that's not going to have a real impact to their bottom line.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
However, UA has just upped their r/t pricing on UA49 ex-India big-time (almost double) and ex-EWR it's closing in on 17k USD!

Now no reason for UA to complain about internationally-based 1Ks!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mama
Wow. This is a great find. By "deep discount business ", I am assuming it is around USD2000. 24000 PQPs for $2000 x 4 trips = $8000. That just make you about qualify 1K. Even if it's $3000 per trip, still a bargain.
shush :-) I didn't realize it would be appreciated that much. AC seems to be better than other airlines, but United will soon catch on. At $3300 per ticket, unless you really had to go to India (like I do), you are spending $14-15K to keep status. IMHO, that's too much of an investment to preserve 1K. Also, AC fares are not cheap from their hubs; however when you are connecting from U.S. fares are much more competitive - just like UA.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
However, UA has just upped their r/t pricing on UA49 ex-India big-time (almost double) and ex-EWR it's closing in on 17k USD!

Now no reason for UA to complain about internationally-based 1Ks!
UA plays games with UA49 pricing on occasion. I think they change it based on historic corporate travel patterns. Strategy with UA 49 is look for > P0. If that's available, then book cheapest economy. As soon as you complete the booking it will show you very reasonable buy-up offers. If P = 0, then you need to wait. Overall, if you can fly weekdays, you shouldn't be paying more than $3.5k for this flight RT.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
You may want to play around with the point of sale country since UA is notorious for offering different prices for the same ticket on different regions due to them magically unlocking fare buckets in certain regions. Sometimes the difference is negligible but other times it can be quite significant. Thats all I will say.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
You may want to play around with the point of sale country since UA is notorious for offering different prices for the same ticket on different regions due to them magically unlocking fare buckets in certain regions. Sometimes the difference is negligible but other times it can be quite significant. That’s all I will say.
UA will reprice based on the payment/billing info.

Best to use an OTA for POS savings.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Finding fare class on ANA and LH websites is crazy easy
ANA just flat out tells you when you click on a radio button
LH, you have to click the carrot and the drop down tells you
BR, SQ and a few others also have the onformation readily available....
thanks-how do you find it on ac though?seems you have to go all the way thru the booking process?

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Again, I would encourage punching specific itineraries into the tool and see how many PQPs it spits out. In some cases you'll end off well ahead (i.e. AC P fares net 200% RDM which works out to a PQP of 40% of distance flown, making it possible to net 1K status on a couple of well placed $1,000 P fares with the airline).

If you ever flew A3 it was never worth considering UA DollarsPlus to start. Why? Because A3 will happily halve the elite earn requirements when you fly 4 segments with them in any year. We're talking about re-qualifying for A3*Gold for 12,000 miles flown with 4 A3 segments!

Safe Travels,

James
this aegean stuff is interesting..obviously flying aegean is a drawback but is any fare class acceptable to be counted as one of the segments?(presume 2 connection flights would do it?)
are there any drawbacks to throwing the miles aegeans way?(also,to enter the united domestic lounges is it enough to show your aegean star gold card or do you have to credit the miles on the flight you are on to aegean?)

sorry for the triple posting -but thanks indeed for this wonderful resource..it has made it much easier to understand!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 11, 2019 at 9:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks-how do you find it on ac though?seems you have to go all the way thru the booking process?

Yes, you have to get to the point where it consolidates your flight selection, then select "Details" in the flight booking window and it shows up as "Cabin Class (X)" where X is the fare class - so yes, a bit more of a pain
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:10 am

UA vs Partner PQP Earning Difference Example Question

I am a fairly frequent economy traveler to Europe via ORD and I am trying to understand the best way to maintain my Platinum status going forward. I did a sample route to try and understand the difference in earnings booking though United or Lufthansa for the same trip.

SGF-ORD-KBP seems to be an actual milage of 11,504 miles

if I booked this from LH I could buy a Premium Economy Discount Ticket for $1322
I could buy the same route in Discount Economy for $1021

As I understand from the new rules I should earn the Trip Miles X Class Multiplier ( 1 for Premium Economy or 0.5 for Economy ) / 5 for Preferred Partner PQP Earning

Will I earn 11,504 X 1 / 5 OR 2301 PQP if I buy Premium Economy from LH website ( and credit to UA )
Will I earn 11,504 x 0.5 / 5 OR 1150 PQP if I buy Economy from LH Website ( and credit to UA )

I can buy a similar ticket from United.com for $1,288 which will only earn 1,133 PQP

It seems that buying from LH and crediting to UA would be much better value. Spending $34 more for LH Premium Economy and earning 1,168 more PQP seems like an easy decision.

Please let me know if I am missing something
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
You are correct. If you travel internationally in economy, especially premium economy you are incentivized to fly alliance members rather than United. From EWR you can fly direct to SIN in Premium Economy for under $1,000 and get over 3,100 PQP.

AW
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:30 am

I looked at a similar ticket booked though Expedia in L class and I think this means United will only give me 0.25 * Actual Milage / 5 . I had been using these tickets in the past with the Chase PQD waiver to earn full PQM with inexpensive tickets.
The ticket from Expedia including a room I would not use could be purchased for $772 ( with one night of a hotel I would never use). I think I would only earn 575 PQP for this ticket which is not good in the new system.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.