Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:16 pm

I'm trying to understand how the new rules work for 2020 while booking an upcoming trip in January which will be something like CPH-HNL, HNL-LAX, LAX-EWR, BOS-CPH. In economy, it seems clearly better for qualification to be flying non-United metal. I can, for example, take AC CPH-YYZ-HNL for the first leg. But what I'm trying to understand is how this works if I purchase through Lufthansa a route like CPH-MUC-SFO-HNL, where CPH-MUC and MUC-SFO would be LH metal and SFO-HNL would be UA metal. Presumably the ticket would not have a 016 number.

Should I expect to get 8782/5 = 1756 PQPs for that itinerary? Would I instead get 6863/5 = 1372 for the two Lufthansa legs, then some actual spend part of the ticket on for SFO-HNL (presumably quite small)? Or something else entirely?

Then, suppose I book this entire trip together through Lufthansa, including HNL-LAX and LAX-EWR legs which would be UA metal throughout. On separate tickets, I guess I would get the actual spend with UA, but what if I purchase them as part of a multi-stop itinerary through LH instead?

Thanks for your help here - I'm a long-haul flyer based in Europe trying to figure out the best way to qualify under the new system, or whether I should just be switching over to something like Lufthansa entirely. I made platinum this year, because the spend requirements were waived for foreign residents, and I definitely want to stay on *A because my main travel is between CPH and LAX or EWR, but if I understand the rules correctly, I would not even have made silver this year under the new rules.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CharlesS
In economy, it seems clearly better for qualification to be flying non-United metal.
Theres no hard-and-fast rule that will cover every situation.

I can, for example, take AC CPH-YYZ-HNL for the first leg. But what I'm trying to understand is how this works if I purchase through Lufthansa a route like CPH-MUC-SFO-HNL, where CPH-MUC and MUC-SFO would be LH metal and SFO-HNL would be UA metal. Presumably the ticket would not have a 016 number.
Any purchase made through Lufthansa would not have a 016 ticket number, correct.

Should I expect to get 8782/5 = 1756 PQPs for that itinerary? Would I instead get 6863/5 = 1372 for the two Lufthansa legs, then some actual spend part of the ticket on for SFO-HNL (presumably quite small)? Or something else entirely?
Youd get the actual spending for SFO-HNL, plus RDM/5 for the Lufthansa legs. However, you first have to look up the earning factor for the fare class. For LH metal, that ranges from 25% of the distance flown for K class to 150% for Y and B class. So, its 6863 * earning factor / 5.

Then, suppose I book this entire trip together through Lufthansa, including HNL-LAX and LAX-EWR legs which would be UA metal throughout. On separate tickets, I guess I would get the actual spend with UA, but what if I purchase them as part of a multi-stop itinerary through LH instead?
UA-operated flights always accrue based upon spending. Non-UA flights are spending if purchased through United or distance-based as above if not.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
To bad Eurowings (or whatever the name will be in the future) changed their website so you can't get the fareclass anymore while looking up flights.
The E/N fares are still pretty good, but it is a gamble now because you cant get the fareclass before paying for the ticket anymore. (At least the script I used doesn't work anymore)

For example if you'd book DUS-EWR-DUS for 380€ and you get fareclasses E/N you'd earn 2258 PQP. Thats almost 6 PQP per Euro spend.
Even if this is just booked in V, F, O or R (50%) you'd still earn almost 2 PQP per Euro spend. (752 PQP for the return flights)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
PQP math

I found this interesting.

I have a situation here where I am flying to Asia in J from BOS. I purchased AC because of schedule and price. UA was overpriced. But stipulate for a moment that it wasn`t... Say that in both cases I paid $4K.

If flying UA, I would get a bit less than 4K PQP (minus taxes).

If flying AC, and again stipulate distance is 7K miles one way, and fare is also 4K (in J), which carries a fare bonus of 200%, then I get 28K/5 = 5,600 PQP.

So, here, for the same price, I get a lot more PQP for not flying UA.

I also booked for India. Also another 4K. In this case, LH, and on my way out the bonus is 100% and coming back 150%. This works less to my advantage, but still, on roughly 7K, I get 3.5K PQP. Not significantly different from UA.

Is my logic flawed here?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by skidooman
Is my logic flawed here?
No. There has been much discussion about earning more than 1 PQP per dollar spent on partner airlines. I recently booked a trip from Canada to Africa where I will earn approx 2.1 PQPs per dollar spent. There are also some great deals to be had flying CA J class, I think the highest I have seen is 2.5 PQP/$.

I am sure there will soon be a wiki thread on best PQP/$ deals.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The only flaw as it were is that anything less that 2.0x (50 cents per PQP) is pretty yawn-worthy in terms of gaming qualification. Sure, maybe you should pick AC over UA for an extra 50% PQP but it's not really worth sacrificing all that much.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by findark
The only flaw as it were is that anything less that 2.0x (50 cents per PQP) is pretty yawn-worthy in terms of gaming qualification. Sure, maybe you should pick AC over UA for an extra 50% PQP but it's not really worth sacrificing all that much.
Point is well taken. On my flight to India, I actually gain less than a comparable fare on UA. But then, not much less either.

Thing is, right now I did not see any equivalent fares on UA. I can fly J for $4K pretty reliably pretty much anywhere to Asia (I even saw a fare for less than $2K, but with a horrible, non logical routing), but I cannot fly in J when the ask is $55K, $6.5K or something above. Unfortunately, these days this is what is on offer from UA. Maybe other cities get a better deal but from BOS I usually get the good J fares from LH, LX, AC and, when I must, MU and CA (which may involve taking B6 first to NYC).

I guess UA is pricing me out of Polaris, but not MileagePlus. Well, maybe not yet.

I guess I will stick around and give UA a go when their are price competitive, which happens at times.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:02 pm

Just bought an LH ticket with a leg on United. The itinerary showed up on my United account and even calculated the PQP for the entire LH ticket which was a lot more than if i ticketed the same on United.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:33 pm

United flights booked through Amex Travel (for 5x on Amex Biz card) will have no issues, correct as it will be UA metal, so I should receive full elite status value, is this correct?

What about AC flights? If I book the fare class that will get me the max PQP value - if I book it with Amex Travel will that fail? This is going into my calculation of whether I want Amex Biz Plat or Amex personal Plat going forward, as two Amex Plat cards makes no more sense for me. TIA
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by raccah
United flights booked through Amex Travel (for 5x on Amex Biz card) will have no issues, correct as it will be UA metal, so I should receive full elite status value, is this correct?

What about AC flights? If I book the fare class that will get me the max PQP value - if I book it with Amex Travel will that fail? This is going into my calculation of whether I want Amex Biz Plat or Amex personal Plat going forward, as two Amex Plat cards makes no more sense for me. TIA
United flights are usually fine, although Amex Travel has been known to issue bulk tickets sometimes. I don't see how the AC flights would "fail".
Old Dec 5, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I don't see how the AC flights would "fail".
I mean that will a ticket issued by Amex travel, that is not bulk, count correctly towards my status (once I apply my UA FFN) like if I had bought it directly from AC?

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raccah
I mean that will a ticket issued by Amex travel, that is not bulk, count correctly towards my status (once I apply my UA FFN) like if I had bought it directly from AC?

Thanks!
If it contains only AC segments it will not be plated 016, which means it earns like buying it from AC regardless of bulk fare or not.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 11:53 am

I am about to book a business class flight from IAH to Milan, traveling in January. This new MileagePlus system still has me confused, admittedly. Is it going to be better for me to purchase my tickets directly from UA, or should I book them through Air Canada? It looks like flight classes are either D or Z. My other question, as I've never purchased directly from Air Canada, is will I receive the same amount of RDM's (including bonus miles as a 1k) or do I sacrifice some of that if I book directly with AC?

Last edited by Mulatto; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:54 am Reason: clarity
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mulatto
I am about to book a business class flight from IAH to Milan, traveling in January. This new MileagePlus system still has me confused, admittedly. Is it going to be better for me to purchase my tickets directly from UA, or should I book them through Air Canada? It looks like flight classes are either D or Z. My other question, as I've never purchased directly from Air Canada, is will I receive the same amount of RDM's (including bonus miles as a 1k) or do I sacrifice some of that if I book directly with AC?
If all of your flights are on United metal, it doesn't matter where you buy the ticket. Earnings will be based on ticket cost.

For flights not operated by United, if you buy the ticket from United you will earn both PQP and RDM in accordance with how much the ticket costs. If you buy the ticket from AC (or any other airline), then you will earn both PQP and RDM as a percentage of the actual miles flown. The wiki of this thread has the consolidated charts for earning PQP by distance, and you can multiply by 5 for 6 for RDM or just look it up on the UA website.

To your situation, the answer is it depends how much it costs. For a typical D/Z split out of IAH, getting a ticket from United is likely to be better.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Gold
Fare class on other Star Alliance airlines

I am incredibly late to the party and just discovered the new 2020 MP changes. I have already earned *G for 2020 and am trying to make sure I understand a specific point of the new plan regarding partner airlines. I live in China and a majority of my PQM were earned on partners.

An article on FlyerTalk said The new system is quite simple for every flight taken on a Preferred Partner, United will award PQP equal to the miles divided by 5. MileagePlus Partner tickets will be divided by 6. Each flight with an eligible partner will also award one PQF.

Does this mean the Fare Class no longer matters?? I've booked trips before (for example, SQ: SIN-JNB) where my Fare was classified as DDE and earned 0% credit. Will that flight/fare class now get Miles6?

As a rare UA flyer, getting 100% of my flights credited regardless of fare class would be a nice surprise! I feel like it just can't be that good...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.