Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dts9
From reading the info, if you book on AC (none 016 ticket) and your AC class is eligible for mileage points, PQP = "bum in seat miles" / 6
So it doesnt matter if you fly first class on AC to India or Basic Economy (says 25% mileage points within Aeroplan), you still get mileage flown / 6
What if your flight is less than 500 miles, do you still start at 500/6 or do they use true mileage always.
No, this is not correct. The fare class matters. You need to look at the number of redeemable miles for that fare class here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html (not the PQM table, which no longer applies).

The value ranges from 25-200%.

Also, the division factor is 5, not 6, for Air Canada, as theyíre a preferred partner.

I would not expect the 500-mile minimum to apply. I believe thatís only been used for PQM for some time now.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:10 pm

The link above is for 2019. See below. After Jan 1 2020, it appears than only mileage counts as long as your booked in a fare class that earns miles

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-credit.html
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From the wiki
Partner Earning
Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The link above is for 2019. See below. After Jan 1 2020, it appears than only mileage counts as long as your booked in a fare class that earns miles
No, the link above is relevant. You need to know the number of award miles awarded, which will be based upon the fare class. Read this threadís wiki for more.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC 25K
...it appears than only mileage counts..
Your link contains the following phrase: For ticket numbers beginning with numbers other than 016, MileagePlus members will earn Premier qualifying point(s) equal to the total award miles earned for the flight divided by 5 if youíre flying on a preferred partner; divided by 6 if youíre flying on another MileagePlus partner.

"Total award miles" being the operative phrase. Total award miles = BIS mileage x fare code multiplier. On AC, the fare code multiplier is between 0 and 200%.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:26 pm

Hi, so still trying to figure out how this works a J class flight from SFO-SIN. I think if I’ve done my math right, a J class flight on SQ for the same route only generates about 3,500 PQP. Is that right? United metal per their website for these flights are almost 7,300 PQP.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by rccsd
Hi, so still trying to figure out how this works a J class flight from SFO-SIN. I think if Iíve done my math right, a J class flight on SQ for the same route only generates about 3,500 PQP. Is that right? United metal per their website for these flights are almost 7,300 PQP.
Well if flying on UA metal or booking SQ flights as 016-ticket, then it is based on fare, so they are showing 7,300 PQP is because the fare is $7,300 + taxes.

Otherwise, SFO-SIN is 8,446mi.

Booking and ticketing on SQ J SFO-SIN roundtrip will yield 3,519 PQP (8,446 x 2 x 1.25 /6)
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Iím late at reading this thread. Thank you so much for that PQP calculator. I shared it with my friends a month ago (so they would stop asking me how many PQPs they would earn ). It is a fantastic resource. Happy to know who created it and to say THANK YOU!
You are welcome

I just landed in Geneva after flying to NYC for some Christmas shopping (and to earn the missing PQM for 1K)
Now the real hassle begins and I have to figure out what I should do in 2020. Stay with United since the US is my primary holiday destination and I like the domestic upgrades... or switch to TK.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nubbeldupp
You are welcome

I just landed in Geneva after flying to NYC for some Christmas shopping (and to earn the missing PQM for 1K)
Now the real hassle begins and I have to figure out what I should do in 2020. Stay with United since the US is my primary holiday destination and I like the domestic upgrades... or switch to TK.
Hah! And I'm in MUC on my way home from SEZ.

I'm going to give UA another year. Since I was exempt from PQDs, I was already booking my tickets with various partners, so I figure I will requalify without changing anything!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Plat 1K (*G)
Am I missing it? Is there a chart on the UA website for which *A partners' fare codes will qualify for PQP and which ones won't?

I'm looking at two flights:
IAH-BKK on ANA in class L and class K (return)
and
IAH-DXB on LH, Class K

Neither is booked on 016 ticket stock.

I can't find a chart for 2020 to see if the bucket will even qualify. Each time I've contacted United, I've gotten a different answer... one agent told me all fares qualify... another told me that I would get one PQP per segment. Just now, I was told that K means I multiply the distance by 25% (the 2019 mileage rate), then divide it by five to get PQP.

I'm looking for PQP to maintain status. I'm not worried so much about mile accumulation. I'm hoping I missed something, but I'm thinking UA might not have its... things together...
Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2019 at 8:19 pm Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by texasbrian
I can't find a chart for 2020 to see if the bucket will even qualify. ....
Look for the RDM earning percentage for non-016 tickets. If non-zero, it is good.

Then as covered in this thread's wiki
Beginning in 2020, if you fly a partner airline (not UA metal) and your ticket is on the stock of another airline (not 016 ticket), you will earn PQP as a fraction of the distance flown. That fraction is determined by your fare class, and can be found in the tables below.
The way to derive this fraction is to go to the United earnings page for your airline and determine the RDM (not PQM) earning rate for your fare class. Then divide this number by 5 for "preferred partners" and 6 otherwise.
If the fare class of a non-016 *A partner flight allows RDM earnings (and therefore PQDs), the flight also earns Premier Qualifying Flight (PQF) credit.
or see this thread's wiki for a table of "RDM factor" / "partner factor" by partner and fare class
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
IAH-BKK on ANA in class L and class K (return)
and
IAH-DXB on LH, Class K

Neither is booked on 016 ticket stock.
IAH-NRT/HND-BKK - distance; 9,532 each way via NRT or 9,529 each way via HND

L = 50%; K = 25% https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tners/ana.html

L: flight distance (9,532 - NRT) multiply by earning factor (50%) divided by 5 or 6 (ANA is a preferred partner, so 5; otherwise 6) = 953 (same for HND) would be your PQP
K: since K earns half of L, just divide 953 by 2, and you would have 477 for NRT; HND is 1 PQP less, at 476

Total for the trip would be 1,430 PQP via NRT or 1,429 PQP via HND.

Same concept for the LH flight, via FRA (I'd assume).

Use this chart for earning rate on non-016 tickets: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-partners.html
Great circle map is a good tool to figure out flight distance: Great Circle Mapper

Or, you can simply refer to the wiki here, or the tool one of the members built.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Plat 1K (*G)
Thanks, everyone!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: United
2020 UA early start mileage runs

Already planning my qualifications for Mileage Plus premier status for 2020. So these new rules are a bit confusing, but I think I've waded through them. Please let me know if all of the below statements are true or not, or if you see some improvements I can do, or holes:

- Doing a quick SFO-HKG flight using Air Canada via Vancouver in late February. Cost is around $560, K class. Under the new rules, I would get 4 PQS and ~3,000 PQP points. Under the new plan, preferred partner airlines such as Air Canada, since United doesn't know the ticket cost, they use total mileage divided by 5. So roughly 7,500 miles one way, times 2, 100% mileage apply for K class, total divided by 5 = 3,000.
- If I had used United instead (for roughly $625 RT), I would only get 625 PQP and 2 PQS (direct flight). 3,000 >>> 625. I would miss out on lifetime miles, but I'm nowhere close to making a million (at 600K currently and I'm getting close to retirement age), so lifetime miles isn't a great concern for me.

- Doing a SFO-EWR flight on Basic Economy, $199. I would get 0 PQS towards the 12 needed for Mileage Plus Silver (Basic Economy does not count apparently) and some PQP points for the $199 purchase. However, it would count for the minimum 4 segments for a given year needed on UA metal to qualify for Premier.

- Because of the 12 segment rule, it seems to make some sense to find some flights that make 2 or more stopovers, in order to more quickly make the 12 PQS limit. Are there UA flights that do 3+ stopovers? Or would I need to just embed a couple of smaller round trips inside of a big round trip? (i.e. SFO-EWR, embedded by say an EWR-MCO RT flight).

- I put a ton on my Explorer card (probably between $35-60K a year). Is there a better card for my situation? Seems like the Chase cards are mitigated now since the max one can earn from cards is 1,000 PQP. I don't make that many flights a year, 3 international flights and 2-4 domestic flights a year.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
... but I'm thinking UA might not have its... things together...
Thanks!
Agents are far more versed in ticketing than the nuances of the frequent flyer program. UA has laid out the earnings parameters, but agents are like watches and time - if you have 1 watch, you know what time it is, if you have two, you don't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.