Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seedavework
Will I earn 11,504 X 1 / 5 OR 2301 PQP if I buy Premium Economy from LH website ( and credit to UA )
Will I earn 11,504 x 0.5 / 5 OR 1150 PQP if I buy Economy from LH Website ( and credit to UA )
This is mostly correct, but there are a couple of gotchas.

Any flight operated by UA will still earn based upon its fare, so you have to consider SGF-ORD separately. UA will likely assign a tiny fraction of the fare to this short flight, so I'd ignore it for calculation purposes and stick with ORD-FRA/MUC-KBP.

However, it also means that you need to be careful which flight you book across the ocean. If you book a UA-operated flight, even with a Lufthansa flight number on the Lufthansa website, you will get credited based on the fare, not distance.

And, the fare class for economy tickets varies. On Lufthansa, K class -- the least expensive -- is only 25% of distance, rather than 50% like S, T, and L classes are.

Originally Posted by AugustW
You are correct. If you travel internationally in economy, especially premium economy you are incentivized to fly alliance members rather than United. From EWR you can fly direct to SIN in Premium Economy for under $1,000 and get over 3,100 PQP.
Premium Economy, yes. Economy, that is much less true.

I looked at a similar ticket booked though Expedia in L class and I think this means United will only give me 0.25 * Actual Milage / 5 .
L on Lufthansa is 50%, not 25%.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
L on Lufthansa is 50%, not 25%.
As I understood, and based on how credits have been applied in the past, "Bundle and Save" flight and hotel combinations which are often less expensive than booking the same flight alone would be credited differently than partner airlines. I assumed this is what United calls Specialty Tickets. From their website they say "Certain specialty tickets (including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque tickets where the fare you paid is not provided to United". They list "L, K, G " class at %25.

In many similar previous flights United would give me the full distance as PQM and nothing in PQD. This is why I was using the Chase waiver to avoid the spend requirement.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I understood, and based on how credits have been applied in the past, "Bundle and Save" flight and hotel combinations which are often less expensive than booking the same flight alone would be credited differently than partner airlines. I assumed this is what United calls Specialty Tickets. From their website they say "Certain specialty tickets (including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque tickets where the fare you paid is not provided to United". They list "L, K, G " class at %25.

In many similar previous flights United would give me the full distance as PQM and nothing in PQD. This is why I was using the Chase waiver to avoid the spend requirement.
Ah, sorry, I thought that might be what you meant, but it wasn't entirely clear in context.

Yes, United Bulk L fares would earn based upon 25% of the distance.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:27 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Is this a good "mileage PQP run": 4448 PQP for $1933 in Business Class JFK-BKK-JFK? Granted, it is on Air China with resultant transfers at China airports, and you might need to ticket with Expedia...

sample

(Presumably Expedia wouldn't plate the ticket on 016, right?)
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The perverse thing about UA's new program is that, at least for MMers, it disincentivizes being involved in MP at all. Like many, I start the year with a very rough idea of my likely trips over the year but not at all clear. If I knew precisely what I was going to do, I could research and buy the tickets to ensure that I achieved my status. But I don't have any clear idea. It's perfectly possible that I'd hit Plat or 1K, but equally likely I won't. So, I conclude that it's better not to bother at all, and aim for status in a program which allows a static target rather than a moving target - and, as a MM, that is probably better as a non *A program. So I read the new MP as meaning that I switch from flying UA or its partners as a matter of strong preference to NOT flying them as a matter of strong preference. Odd.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW
Is this a good "mileage PQP run": 4448 PQP for $1933 in Business Class JFK-BKK-JFK? Granted, it is on Air China with resultant transfers at China airports, and you might need to ticket with Expedia...

I am always uncertain about how tickets from Expedia will post. I assume if google flights is showing the ticket then it should be a regular fare and accumulate miles according to the Air China policy. Is it possible to book this directly from Air China?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by AugustW
You are correct. If you travel internationally in economy, especially premium economy you are incentivized to fly alliance members rather than United. From EWR you can fly direct to SIN in Premium Economy for under $1,000 and get over 3,100 PQP.

AW
Curious why "especially premium economy"? Will the same math not work for business?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by malgudi
Curious why "especially premium economy"? Will the same math not work for business?
Because business class tickets cost more but still yield the same amount of PQP as a premium economy ticket on partner airlines, with a few exceptions (AC, NH, CA) that have additional RDM bonuses.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The perverse thing about UA's new program is that, at least for MMers, it disincentivizes being involved in MP at all. Like many, I start the year with a very rough idea of my likely trips over the year but not at all clear. If I knew precisely what I was going to do, I could research and buy the tickets to ensure that I achieved my status. But I don't have any clear idea. It's perfectly possible that I'd hit Plat or 1K, but equally likely I won't. So, I conclude that it's better not to bother at all, and aim for status in a program which allows a static target rather than a moving target - and, as a MM, that is probably better as a non *A program. So I read the new MP as meaning that I switch from flying UA or its partners as a matter of strong preference to NOT flying them as a matter of strong preference. Odd.
I'm in exactly the same boat. From what I can deduce at this point, the changes will mean I'll be flying mostly LH/LX, buying PE when possible, and using my UA upgrade points to fly in business on LH. Moreover, it means that 2020 appears to be the last year I'll be above Gold after perhaps two decades of 1K thanks to a split residence that includes a non-US address exempting me from spending requirements. If I really want to maintain 1K, then flying AC (the horror!) might be the best option with its 40% net credit on P fares. I had, in the back of my head, a slowly growing itch to attempt 2MM before the end of my flying career, but as of right now, that does not seem likely since there are substantial advantages to NOT flying UA metal from here on.

After 2020, it might well be time to investigate other alliances; unfortunately *A serves my flying pattern better than the other two, and the flag carrier of my foreign address, to which I am emotionally tied if nothing else, is a *A member.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is zero chance that Expedia, or any other travel agent, would ticket JFK-BKK on CA on 016 stock. For one thing, the fare explicitly requires that the tickets be issued on CA stock. For another, the IATA has strict guidelines covering selecting a plating carrier, and travel agents can get fined by the airlines for violating them.

If there are no UA flight numbers on an itinerary, it will not be issued on 016 stock, unless you purchase it from United, in which case it can only be issued on 016 stock. So, don't purchase OAL tickets directly from UA if you want distance-based accrual.

I am always uncertain about how tickets from Expedia will post. I assume if google flights is showing the ticket then it should be a regular fare and accumulate miles according to the Air China policy. Is it possible to book this directly from Air China?
That JFK-BKK fare is a regular fare, will accumulate miles according to CA's policy, and can be booked directly from Air China as well as by a travel agent.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Because business class tickets cost more but still yield the same amount of PQP as a premium economy ticket on partner airlines, with a few exceptions (AC, NH, CA) that have additional RDM bonuses.
Those exceptions are meaningful, though. And while you might be able to come out further ahead by purchasing PE, discount J is often not much more expensive than PE, and is much more comfortable. In general, discount PE and discount J will earn the most bang for the buck. Discount Y won't earn a lot of PQP in most cases, and full-fare J or full-fare Y may still be best purchased through United where possible.

The moral of the story is, check your earnings against your fare and do whatever makes sense.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
aim for status in a program which allows a static target rather than a moving target
What program is a static target that doesn't moves?

Originally Posted by malgudi
The fares are more out of proportion to the RDM relative to economy.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:21 pm
formerly 1984SW

sample

You can get 4902 PQP for $1929 on CA in Business Class JFK-BOM-JFK and for this fare the Google Flights page does link directly to the CA web site for booking/ticketing.

You would come within 200 miles of MP Gold by doing two of these trips, but they are long, grueling trips. By the time you fly four UA-metal segments, you'd be past the 10k PQP required for Gold.

PS: To answer your question about booking the BKK ticket with CA, yes you can. The Google Flights page said "Visit site for price" for CA and that seemed ominous. I just checked, and the CA web site priced it out at $2132.27. Not sure why it's $200 more.

Last edited by wpcoe; Nov 15, 2019 at 8:51 pm Reason: correct the Google Flights URL & add PS, change CZ to CA
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
You can get 4902 PQP for $1929 on CZ in Business Class JFK-BOM-JFK and for this fare the Google Flights page does link directly to the CZ web site for booking/ticketing.

You would come within 200 miles of MP Gold by doing two of these trips, but they are long, grueling trips. By the time you fly four UA-metal segments, you'd be past the 10k PQP required for Gold.
I think you meant CA instead of CZ (China Southern).
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:49 pm
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by hirohito888
I think you meant CA instead of CZ (China Southern).
Whoops, your're right. I edited the post to correct it. Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:43 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Problem with a status run on the new program is that youll still need to make up the PQFs or earn additional PQPs to hit the higher requirement.

Also, flying partner metal kinda defeats the purpose of earning status on UA if youre not flying UA. At that point, might be better to earn status directly on the partner airline and at least enjoy *G status on UA with the added benefit of UA Club access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.