Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Print Wikipost

Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal {Archive}

Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:59 pm

This might be too much to ask, but I think many might be interested in seeing a browser plug-in that would be able to show us PQP earning on Google flights. I'm guessing you can pull the fare basis and other relevant meta data like operating carrier from Google flights?

-James
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
I'm guessing you can pull the fare basis and other relevant meta data like operating carrier from Google flights?

I don't see fare classes there, at least in any obvious fashion. It could potentially be done in ITA Matrix, however.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: United Platinum
My understanding is that bulk and specialty fares booked by some tour companies doesn’t contain a PQP component and must be calculated by percent flown by fare class. Could someone with more knowledge clarify since the UA website makes it appear as clear as mud!

-James
Agree this is far from clear as currently written on the United website. On the PQP FAQs page it says: "For bulk ticket types operated by United, you will earn PQP according to a formula: award miles earned divided by 5. For more information on how award miles are earned for bulk ticket types, please see Earning miles on United flights."
It also says: "Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator, group, tour and opaque fares, do not earn PQP."

So this raises a couple of questions for me:
What is the difference between a BULK fare and a "specialty, unpublished, consolidator, group" etc etc fare? I had always thought all these types of fares were just types of BULK fares . . . but I guess they are not the same?

Are BULK fares only going to earn PQP if they are operated by United? What if you buy a BULK fare on a partner airline?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nubbeldupp
Since I completed the Backend I'll now focus on making the website more convenient. Unfortunately I'm not a skilled WebDev so it could take a while. This also is the first time I'm using Bootstrap.

I changed some of the sizes and after testing it on my iPhone X and 9.7" iPad it should work better now.

iPad: Full table visible in portrait and landscape mode. No scrolling needed.
iPhone: Full table in landscape mode, scrolling in portrait.
Perhaps your tool deserves its own thread?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I must warn folks on this thread to keep their eyes peeled to the accruals. Several enhancements have been made over the past week. In particular, I thought I'd draw your attention to the contentious issue of Speciality Tickets on UA Metal. Effective January 1, 2020:

The big difference here is L,K,G fares only pull in 25% RDM (versus 50% before).

One question I thought I'd bring up here is whether the Premier Bonus one receives flying UA Speciality as an elite counts towards PQP (the bonus can be anywhere from 25% for Silvers to 100% for dime a dozen 1Ks)

Safe Travels,

James
I'm trying to understand this table.

If I fly on a "specialty fare" on UA metal in L/K/G class, my RDM earning will be 25% of flown miles. My PQP will only be 20% of RDM = 5% of flown miles? (Or possibly 0 PQP depending)
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
I'm trying to understand this table.

If I fly on a "specialty fare" on UA metal in L/K/G class, my RDM earning will be 25% of flown miles. My PQP will only be 20% of RDM = 5% of flown miles? (Or possibly 0 PQP depending)
Yes, it seems you're reading correctly: 5% flown.

Perhaps it would be useful to have a "UA specialty fare" entry in the table and pqp-calc tool.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje

Perhaps it would be useful to have a "UA specialty fare" entry in the table and pqp-calc tool.
I will add this to the database.
Just to clarify... according to the table mentioned by j2simpso this would mean J,C,D,Z,P gets you a total of 150% award miles based on distance flown?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nubbeldupp
Just to clarify... according to the table mentioned by j2simpso this would mean J,C,D,Z,P gets you a total of 150% award miles based on distance flown?
Yes - or 30% of the distance as PQP.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by findark
Yes - or 30% of the distance as PQP.
It's in the database now.

Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje

let's be honest though, these UA specialty/bulk fares are super rare ...
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA PG, IHG Diamond Amb
Do we know if all earning segments on *A airlines will earn PQFs? Today many fare classes on non jv airlines earn 0 PQS. E.g on BR anything but Y in economy earns 0 PQS.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thedon
Do we know if all earning segments on *A airlines will earn PQFs? Today many fare classes on non jv airlines earn 0 PQS. E.g on BR anything but Y in economy earns 0 PQS.
any flight that earns RDM on *A will earn a PQF.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by thedon
Originally Posted by United

Premier qualifying flights

Every flight you take on an eligible partner airline earns you 1 Premier qualifying flight (PQF), as long as the fare class of your ticket is eligible for award mile accrual.

International Basic Economy tickets on Air Canada, Austrian, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa and SWISS are ineligible for Premier qualifying flights. International Basic Economy may be booked in various fare classes.
Every flight thats not a Basic (or eg. Light with LH) AND not 0% mile accural you should earn PQF's.
At least that's how I understand the above Quote from United.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Red face Is it just me or is it confusing?

So, I have just read through the letter that came from UA about the changes and called MP to ask some questions, but still do not have a clear answer. Will I earn full PDP on *A airlines or not?? Or does it depend on the class of ticket and the airfare? AND, as a UA MP Explorer Business Card holder, I was told that I will only be allowed 1000 PQP maximum, no matter how much I spend on that Visa card, even though it states in the letter
"*During the 2020 calendar year, UA MP Cardmembers will earn 500PQP for every $12,000 spent, up to 3000PQP"

Is United also going to change Lifetime Gold for anyone earning 1M miles? I was aiming to achieve that next year!
#clearasmud
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by milehighmel
Will I earn full PDP on *A airlines or not?? Or does it depend on the class of ticket and the airfare?
There is a whole FlyerTalk thread dedicated to the issue along with a corresponding website built by a fellow FTer to help you calculate these things. Put simply, PQP will depend on distance flown and fare class, just like in the old system. For many of us this will mean we are now being rewarded for flying UA less and * partners more which I suspect is the loyalty UA was looking for in the first place!

Originally Posted by milehighmel
AND, as a UA MP Explorer Business Card holder, I was told that I will only be allowed 1000 PQP maximum, no matter how much I spend on that Visa card, even though it states in the letter
"*During the 2020 calendar year, UA MP Cardmembers will earn 500PQP for every $12,000 spent, up to 3000PQP"

Is United also going to change Lifetime Gold for anyone earning 1M miles? I was aiming to achieve that next year!
#clearasmud
Yes, there are still some items like specialty/bulk fares where it is unclear how PQP will be calculated. I suspect this will be cleared up in the coming months.

Safe Travels,

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.