FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Avis First
As a 1k I have been getting upgraded on the Monday morning and Thursday afternoon transcontinental flights. If I am not upgraded I am coming very close 1-3 spots away. This is a big difference from early this year and last year where I was 6-12 after upgrades (even using a RPU would take me to 6).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by enviroian
Something is up. As a plat my upgrade % is steadily increasing over the last 6 weeks even at the window

I wonder if elites moving over to AA or DL is the root cause.
My assumption is "Summer". Business travel drops and Leisure travel goes up.

Check back in September. If your % is still remains high from September on, then there may be some other fundamental reason for the change in %.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by teeceedee
Don't be so salty
I am just throwing a little sarcasm into the mix/mild trolling . Promise I'm not really salty.

Just closed the cabin door on a flight with 3 empty F seats. Rare situation where F pax can re-arrange for aisle seats.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by PBAudit
My assumption is "Summer". Business travel drops and Leisure travel goes up.

Check back in September. If your % is still remains high from September on, then there may be some other fundamental reason for the change in %.
That could be driving it but I been flying this route pretty consistently for the past 2 years and never have I had this many CPUs clear. I was lucky when it did happen. I just got upgraded for tomorrows afternoon flight LAX-EWR.

I am enjoying it but I can also imagine Plat and Gold are benefiting as well as the upgrade list is not long.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:55 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I got upgraded on MRY-SFO yeserday. Approx. 18 minutes in the air on a CRJ700. I had two Sam Adams Winter Lagers and a sweet and savory snack mix.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: 1.3mm
my last flight of the year, and as gold

Upgraded to business
hnl-sfo; 747, red-eye...

800 miles into flight, crossed the 75k mark.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:37 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
CPU clearance experiences?

I spent 2015 as UA Gold with 32% CPU rate and 0/2 GPUs clearing (EWR-TLV and back).

I keep reading on this forum that 1Ks are getting CPU rates <10% and a UA Gold shouldn't even dream of getting a CPU. This hasn't been my experience in 2 years as Gold, with 2014 and 2015 both getting around ~33%.

I would imagine I would've fared even better if I were a 1K. I hope I do better this year as a 1K.

Am I an outlier? Or, is it just that 1Ks with crappy %ages are the only ones vocalizing their displeasure?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by helvetic
I spent 2015 as UA Gold with 32% CPU rate and 0/2 GPUs clearing (EWR-TLV and back).

I keep reading on this forum that 1Ks are getting CPU rates <10% and a UA Gold shouldn't even dream of getting a CPU. This hasn't been my experience in 2 years as Gold, with 2014 and 2015 both getting around ~33%.

I would imagine I would've fared even better if I were a 1K. I hope I do better this year as a 1K.

Am I an outlier? Or, is it just that 1Ks with crappy %ages are the only ones vocalizing their displeasure?
If you fly Monday-Thursday from SFO you will likely have a very low upgrade rate. If your travel is more randomly spread throughout the week and you are not traveling solely to top business destinations then you will likely do much better than 10%. If you were 33% as gold and continue with the same flying pattern you will probably see a 50-60% rate.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:50 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I believe my sole CPU in 2015 was on IAD-ORD on an off-peak date/time.

That said, I bought F a lot more than in years past, too... but I also failed several RPU-supported upgrades.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
for sure as a 1k you will clear more upgrades!
Sit back and enjoy, its not going to be worse!^
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flybit
Sit back and enjoy, its not going to be worse!^
So 1% instead of 0%?

Honestly, as a 1K, I do not ever expect to get a CPU. Even on non-business, non-peak dates and times, if I don't use an instrument or buy F, I often find myself 10+ down the upgrade list.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My upgrade rate the last 1-2 years have been terrible. I think it depends on the day of week and route. I usually get S & T but even with W, V and U I would end up maybe top of the "try again next time" list a lot

Sometimes you think you would have made it if it was an A320 instead of an A319, etc. Even RPUs don't clear for me completely and I waste it on the short segment!

On Sunday, I had a B fare on a non hub-to-hub and was #11 on the list (2nd segment instantly cleared into PN)! Same flight last Sunday, I had a U fare and was upgraded the day before.

So I assume I won't get upgraded domestically.

I use my GPUs on TPAC vacations and buy my W fare way in advance on off-peak days. The only time it failed was LAX-NRT on the 788. That is a route known to be hard to upgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by helvetic

as a 1k I got 1 CPU last year, on an hour long flight. GPU was 25%. RPU was 0%
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by flybit
Sit back and enjoy, its not going to be worse!

Lol! Um no.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
I've noticed in the last year I get far less upgrades prior to the day of departure, but on the day I would guess I'm between 50 / 75% success rate.

Helps flying in and out of ATL.

Fares a mix of expensive last minute and cheap advanced purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.