Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, SW
Lowly silver got upgrades both ways over the 4th LAX-KOA, KOA-LAX. Probably not too many super frequents on that route.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Silver here, upgraded BOS-SFO last week. I'm not sure why there were so few elites on the plane but I politely accepted.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by GretelNick
Silver here, upgraded BOS-SFO last week. I'm not sure why there were so few elites on the plane but I politely accepted.
Wow. Silver score of the century.

Day of the week?
Time of flight?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: 1K
How is this thread still going strong? YES, kettles (plat or lower) are being upgraded. I have gone out on several recent flight with empty F seats. Yes, it is an injustice that you can fly 75,000 miles in a year and get a free upgrade... but it happens ALL THE TIME. Get over it.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by GretelNick
That is simply astounding unless the flight was so grossly delayed that everyone else bailed on it
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
I'm a lowly gold this year. So far I have flown 52 segments this year and have been upgraded 5 times. Home base is IAH.

Most of them seem to be late flights or unusual circumstances.

1. 767 EWR-IAH, Sunday night flight
2. 767 IAH-PHX, Monday morning after Superbowl (they flew it in to go PHX-ORD)
3. 738 IAH-PHX, late Monday night flight
4. 739 IAH-PHX, Sunday night
5. 175 IAH-MSP, regular Monday morning(!)

#5 surprised me. It's the first Monday flight from IAH-MSP and I got upgraded. Not sure if it is because not a lot of elites are on this route, or perhaps because of the higher first class seat ratio on the 175. I might have to fly this route more often.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Something is up. As a plat my upgrade % is steadily increasing over the last 6 weeks even at the window

I wonder if elites moving over to AA or DL is the root cause.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Glad to hear that you are all having success. As a 1K this is my worst year ever for upgrades (stats below in signature). Same routes/days as last year, but last year I only missed a few. I also missed my first ever GPU upgrade last week on FRA-SFO.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hookthem
How is this thread still going strong? YES, kettles (plat or lower) are being upgraded. I have gone out on several recent flight with empty F seats. Yes, it is an injustice that you can fly 75,000 miles in a year and get a free upgrade... but it happens ALL THE TIME. Get over it.
Looks like some people are getting value out of it by asking what kind of flights and discussing time of day, route, etc. Don't be so salty
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
I continue to enjoy a very nice upgrade ratio as a platinum this year. Cleared on LAX-SFO on Sunday. If I hit on my SFO-EWR redeye Wednesday, then we'll know something's up.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Wow. Silver score of the century.

Day of the week?
Time of flight?
It was an early evening flight on a Monday, not delayed. I'd been scheduled on a midday flight and at 24 hours out from the flight I preferred due to work that came up during the day, I did SDC. Was upgraded within minutes, and I don't remember there being anyone else behind me on the upgrade list. There was no equipment change or anything like that that I know of.

I had a few options to change to and honestly picked the one with DirecTV so I could watch a Copa America match... didn't even look at the upgrade list because it seemed chimerical.

On the way back I was back to 32/35 as usual.

What explains the fluke? Maybe fewer business travelers heading west during a holiday week when people are taking off early? That's all I can think of.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:44 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
8/16 on the year now after a recent trip. Was somewhat surprised to clear MSP-EWR on a Monday morning, but then I think the real competition is on Sunday night.

I'm not surprised that people's upgrades are improving recently. It's summer, business travel slows down, and the mix of people on the planes is quite different.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Something is up. As a plat my upgrade % is steadily increasing over the last 6 weeks even at the window

I wonder if elites moving over to AA or DL is the root cause.
similar experience as gold. last year and earlier this year upgrades might have been 1/10 or fewer segments. Now hitting maybe 1/3? same flights etc.

My unscientific theory is lower tier premier px are using UA less, direct result of MP changes. Not hard to see why when I can use AA or (now) Copa for same routes and get 3-4x mileage (on long routes, that can be nearly a couple hundred dollars in potential buying power).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I was lucky enough to get upgraded as Silver on a IAH-ORD last week on the 763. Sadly, downgrade, still had 1F on the 752. Sadly, flight delayed 7 hours. Had to route through MCI on an RJ next to the bathroom as the agent would not put me on AA stating they did not have authority to put me on another airline after I had initially refused to go IAH-SFO-ORD.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
2 golds scored upgrade on MEX-SFO a couple of days ago. I was absolutely shocked when the "Elite" notification came thru on my phone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.