Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I was like 14/65 on CPUs.

1 between IAH-PHL (on an E fare)
rest were between IAH-SEA (occasionally through SFO)

Most of my travel is Monday AM or Thursday PM.

1/1 in 2016. Rest of my travel is on AA where I've flown coach only twice out of 46 segments.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I received one CPU this year on the only flight where I was eligible for it (ended up taking another flight). Very few of the flights I took would have resulted in CPUs otherwise.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
I've noticed going out of ORD is almost impossible to clear a CPU even when I applied RPU's. What a UA fortress... IAH, IAD, BOS, FLL seems to be working well for me.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by davidviolin
ORD is almost impossible to clear a CPU even when I applied RPU's.
I'd find CPUs tough to clear if I applied RPUs too!

Yes, CPUs are few and far between for most, but I feel 33% for a Gold out of a hub is quite good. It's random and lucky when it happens.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Gold upgrade at T48 for TPA EWR, this Tuesday, Jan 12.

EWR TPA tomorrow, 1/11, however, about 10th on the list.

Thrilled about Tuesday.

It does happen
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
first CPU as Gold in two years...

DEN-BZN, just under 2 hours on a 737.

Of course, I always fly out of a hub (IAD) so this dismal record is to be expected. Did much, much better in the days of the 500 mile certs (as has been discussed to death by many).

Then, again, two years ago we (Ms. Portolan and I) got an OpUp LHR-IAD which was worth quite a few domestic F upgrades.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Portolan
DEN-BZN, just under 2 hours on a 737.

Of course, I always fly out of a hub (IAD) so this dismal record is to be expected. Did much, much better in the days of the 500 mile certs (as has been discussed to death by many).

Then, again, two years ago we (Ms. Portolan and I) got an OpUp LHR-IAD which was worth quite a few domestic F upgrades.
the wife and I just got CPU EWR - LIR as gold and no status. Very happy
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
1/9 IAH-DCA UAX - Gold Upgraded right before boarding. Husband (Silver) upgraded after boarding. Could not adjust seats to sit together
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
1/1 this year!

Sniped the last CPU as a Gold at the boarding area for SFO-LAS Friday night. Noticeably fewer elites on the flight, only 24 on a 738. I take this flight a lot (7:51pm) and was 1/4 last year, only 2 for 30 or so overall though. Who knows if this is a sign of things to come.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:05 pm

0 UA CPU's as Gold in 2015.

The last CPU I had on UA was in my last days of Platinum in January 2015 on CLE-IAH-SJC, both legs. The closest since then might have been #14 on the CPU list.
I got a CPU on AA going DFW-RAP in September, and that's with Air Berlin Gold, (~AA Platinum ~UA Gold). I had 50+% CPU's on CO with CO Silver in 2009-2010...
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
I received a CPU 48 hours before my flight: Flying on Monday IAH-DCA on a EMB-175. Fare class is Q, which helped. But still. I am amazed!!!! Miracles do happen. I'll probably go get a lottery ticket today.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
I received a CPU 48 hours before my flight: Flying on Monday IAH-DCA on a EMB-175. Fare class is Q, which helped. But still. I am amazed!!!! Miracles do happen. I'll probably go get a lottery ticket today.
I've noticed that the EMB-175s are generally good for upgrades at any elite level. Business travelers tend to avoid them as they are considered "regional" jets yet I think they are among the nicest and most comfortable aircraft in the fleet.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Dropped from Platinum back to Gold this year, but my upgrade has now cleared on three straight segments:

TPA-EWR
EWR-DTW
DTW-EWR
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by JetAway
I've noticed that the EMB-175s are generally good for upgrades at any elite level. Business travelers tend to avoid them as they are considered "regional" jets yet I think they are among the nicest and most comfortable aircraft in the fleet.
Hard to avoid if I have a fixed schedule.

I think that 7B is the best seat on that plane. It has the most legroom.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Eh, I've only gotten upgrade on one as a Silver and that was a Saturday 6 AM flight. The other ones I've flown have tended to have long upgrade lists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.