Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
So far this year, as Gold, I am 3/8 on CPU-eligible flights. Upgrades cleared immediately at T-48 for DEN-ATL, cleared around T-24 for DEN-CVG, and cleared at gate for CVG-DEN. All regional aircraft, weekday flights. Not even close to an upgrade on my hub-hub flights.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I guess I've been one of the luckier ones here? I've been relatively very happy with my CPU / RPU / GPU percentage. Granted this is my second year of traveling on a constant basis since graduating college and my 1st year as a 1K.

I'm 11/15 for CPU, with more than 50% clearing at the gate.
I'm 3/3 for RPU, two clearing at booking, and another a day before (2 PS, 1 IAD->LAX)
I'm 3/3 for GPU with two clearing months out before the flight and one at booking (SFO -> TPE, HKG)

Overall, I've been pretty happy with my upgrade statistics. My primary flights are to/from LAX, SFO, IAD, EWR, BOS and I fly primarily on Mondays, Thursdays, and Sundays.

Last edited by laxmillenial; Jun 7, 2016 at 12:32 am Reason: typo! sorry
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What's a CPU? I haven't seen one in years. I couldn't even use all my RPU's last year.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:34 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by halls120
What's a CPU? I haven't seen one in years. I couldn't even use all my RPU's last year.
These posts surprise and confuse me. In this thread alone, there are multiple 1Ks asserting that they haven't gotten even one CPU in the past year or more. I believe you guys... but I can't figure out how to square your experience with mine.

I mean, it's not like my upgrade experience is super great or anything. But I'm batting about 60% for CPUs -- consistently -- over the past 2 years. I think I'm a median 1K: I fly about 50-70 segments a year, on a mix of aircraft, on a mix of UA and UX, on mid-range fares, all over the place. I'm not buying a lot of Y/B/M, I'm not doing EWR-MCO on a Saturday night... and yet I'm seeing a reasonable level of upgrades.

So how the heck does a 1K -- probably flying 30+ domestic segments a year -- never get a CPU? I can imagine it if every single segment is IAD-SFO or EWR-IAH on Monday morning or Thursday night... or if all your flying is on 1-class aircraft (duh). But that doesn't seem to be the case.

For those of you batting 0.000... is there any obvious reason why, given that other 1Ks are around 0.500?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QBK
These posts surprise and confuse me. In this thread alone, there are multiple 1Ks asserting that they haven't gotten even one CPU in the past year or more. I believe you guys... but I can't figure out how to square your experience with mine.

I mean, it's not like my upgrade experience is super great or anything. But I'm batting about 60% for CPUs -- consistently -- over the past 2 years. I think I'm a median 1K: I fly about 50-70 segments a year, on a mix of aircraft, on a mix of UA and UX, on mid-range fares, all over the place. I'm not buying a lot of Y/B/M, I'm not doing EWR-MCO on a Saturday night... and yet I'm seeing a reasonable level of upgrades.

So how the heck does a 1K -- probably flying 30+ domestic segments a year -- never get a CPU? I can imagine it if every single segment is IAD-SFO or EWR-IAH on Monday morning or Thursday night... or if all your flying is on 1-class aircraft (duh). But that doesn't seem to be the case.

For those of you batting 0.000... is there any obvious reason why, given that other 1Ks are around 0.500?
It depends on various factors like route, time, and base. A 1K on flying as a consultant on a Monday morning/Thursday night schedule I a hub-to-hub is going to probably have a lot less success then someone flying less business-heavy flights at non-peak times. Some stations have a higher elite base then others, which will affect thugs. Leisure routes vs. business, and hub-hub vs. spokes will show a lot of variation.

Interestingly enough, this morning, was op-up'd on YYZ-ORD as a plat on an award ticket (I only have the select card, which doesn't have the award upgrade benefit) - Y was oversold and there were F seats and no one left on the list - 5/12 went empty on our E75.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Mine was zero% the last half year of 1K (2015), and 12.5% the previous year. LAX based, alphabet soup of fare buckets.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by QBK
These are the last 20+ I have been flying. I have received only 1 CPU

IAD-SFO
SFO-PDX
EWR-RSW
IAD-PHX
PHX-IAD
IAD-ORD
ORD-TUS
LAX-IAD
IAD-TPA
EWR-BNA
EVV-ORD
ORD-DCA
IAD-DFW
FWA-ORD
ORD-MSY
MSY-IAD
DCA-ORD
ORD-DCA
IAD-LAS
LAS-EWR
EWR-MCI
IAD-LAX
LAX-IAD
LAS-IAD
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by QBK

You are very lucky. For the past couple of years I am around 10-15%, and I don't even bother to check anymore. Flights are all over the country, in different fare buckets, although many are from EWR or LGA. The main reason upgrades don't happen for many of us is TOD buy-ups, which affects not just CPU, but more gallingly, GPUs and RPUs.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
I have been flying the same exact routes for the last 2+ years, all as 1k. I have noticed an uptick in my CPU %.

Of my last 15 flights, I have cleared 13. This is better than the my stats from 2014 (in sig). Not sure why, though. Hopefully this trend maintains!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:11 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by sangho
You are very lucky. For the past couple of years I am around 10-15%, and I don't even bother to check anymore. Flights are all over the country, in different fare buckets, although many are from EWR or LGA. The main reason upgrades don't happen for many of us is TOD buy-ups, which affects not just CPU, but more gallingly, GPUs and RPUs.
I know I'm relatively fortunate -- but by the standards of the community, I don't think I'm "very lucky". I chat with other 1Ks on flights, and I don't think my experience is atypical; roughly 1/3 - 1/3 of the people I talk to randomly are doing as well as I am. Even on FT, quite a few of the posters on these threads are getting at least 30-40% upgrades.

Which is why I'm trying to figure out what's specifically up for the posters who aren't getting anything.

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
These are the last 20+ I have been flying. I have received only 1 CPU

Very hard upgrades (4)
IAD-SFO
LAX-IAD
IAD-LAX
LAX-IAD

Moderately hard upgrades (9)
IAD-PHX
PHX-IAD
IAD-ORD
ORD-DCA
DCA-ORD
ORD-DCA
IAD-LAS
LAS-EWR
LAS-IAD

Normal / easy upgrades (11)
SFO-PDX
EWR-RSW
ORD-TUS
IAD-TPA
EWR-BNA
EVV-ORD
IAD-DFW
FWA-ORD
ORD-MSY
MSY-IAD
EWR-MCI
This blows my mind. I've arranged your segments into three categories. Only 4 of them are hopeless (the IAD transcons); 9 are potentially hard (meaning mid-cons or hub-hub flights), and the remaining 11 are meat-and-potatoes routes as far as I can tell. I can't fathom going 1/11 on those. Even if you're flying peak hours.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
So far this year I am 20/33 on CPUs as a Platinum. I've also ended up #1 on the waiting list three times.

Almost all of my CPU-eligible flights involve ORD as one of the endpoints, and most are short-distance UX legs. 17 of the 20 upgrades came at T-24 or earlier; but the 3 includes one where I had got the CPU at the gate after doing a SDC away from a flight where I'd gotten the CPU at T-72.

Biggest surprise CPU this year was getting ATL-ORD on a Thu night, at the gate.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA
Gold CPU

On my last 2 business trips I received a CPU at t-48. Granted, the legs were STL-EWR and ORD-DSM, but I'll take it.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
I got my first CPU yesterday DEN-MCO. It was a battlefield upgrade at the last minute that I turned down because I was traveling with my spouse.

Today's return trip I was #1 on the upgrade list (with one open seat) until about 5 mins prior to boarding when a couple bumped me at the last minute.

So batting 0% for the year so far.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
0/8 CPU for the year. I guess that's what I get for being a Silver with many flights in/out of Dulles. At least E+ is 8/8 at T-24.

I do wish there was some way to "bank" missed CPU opportunities. There is a tie-break among the same level of elites: check-in time. Perhaps this tie-break could be changed to "most consecutive CPU misses". That is to say, the silver that has missed out on 27 consecutive CPUs should come before the silver that has missed out on only 2 consecutive CPUs.

Or if we are not absolute with the structure that 1K is before plat, plat before gold, gold before silver, then perhaps the CPU structure could be ranked by "points. Something like:

1K: 30 points + 1 point * number of consecutive CPU misses
Plat: 20 points + 1 point * number of consecutive CPU misses
Gold: 10 points + 1 point * number of consecutive CPU misses
Silver: 1 point * number of consecutive CPU misses

That would imply a gold who was CPU'd his/her last flight (i.e. 0 consecutive CPU misses) would be slightly below a silver that missed on 11 consecutive CPU tries. However, a gold that was CPU'd on his/her last flight would still be ahead of a silver with only 9 consecutive missed CPUs.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:50 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i'm a plat and ~20% of my total flying is on ua, of that 20, half is cpu-able, half intl
2015 as a gold i took 6 cpu-able flights (all on of those high yield low load oil city flights, mostly on weekends when no bidness travel), got upgraded on all

2016 as a plat i've been on 5 cpu-able flights, upgraded 4

that 1 miss was iah-iad monday morning on a 767 and i was 32/70 on the upgrade list or something.

so really it depends on how you travel. all my movements are on weekends and i never go hub to hub.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.