FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k
1 out of 16 for the year as a 1k. Even a few RPU attempts did not get through. Earlier in the year I saw a few times 90+ people on the upgrade list. The one CPU was BOS-DEN. I was #1 for SFO-BOS on Friday but it was fully booked. Where is a little "accident" when you need it :-)
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
1 out of 16 for the year as a 1k. Even a few RPU attempts did not get through. Earlier in the year I saw a few times 90+ people on the upgrade list. The one CPU was BOS-DEN. I was #1 for SFO-BOS on Friday but it was fully booked. Where is a little "accident" when you need it :-)
Dying at #1 on the list is the worst. I was #1 as a Silver on a W Fare for a ORD-RDU CR7 earlier this year. All it would have taken was one SDC, one misconnect, one ANYTHING but nooooooo.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CMK10
Dying at #1 on the list is the worst. I was #1 as a Silver on a W Fare for a ORD-RDU CR7 earlier this year. All it would have taken was one SDC, one misconnect, one ANYTHING but nooooooo.
I find myself #1 uncleared as 1K as often as I clear upgrades (about 50% on 25 CPU segments YTD). I am happy for Plat Gold and Silver when they get to clear, too! That said, I am buying more upgrade offers on segments where I know I won't clear...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
My sister was on an A319 flight last Saturday that departed IAH on-time with 2 open seats in F. Amazing!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
2 out of 19 on CPUs this year. Tried to use an expiring GPU on a Denver to Des Moines segment earlier this year and ended up #8 on the upgrade list. Tried to use an RPU DEN->IAD last week and ended up #6.

I'm only getting E+ about half the time anymore. I really loathe United at this point.

Congratulations to OP on his/her good fortune.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: EBG, OWS, HHG, IHGAmb
I had an amazing upgrade last week flying LAX-HNL. Family of four, I am *G but not on UA. Flight full in coach but with 14 open seats in F, six on upgrade list. At least 20 on standby for the flight.

I politely asked if there were any posibilities for upgrades (paid, was my idea). The agent said "No, sorry Sir, not possible" but on boarding, there was a beep for Seat change. Not just for me, but for the entire family. First ever on UA!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
I know this is old news and just a moment in time (air travel still wounded from 2008 crisis, still pre-merger, etc), but it amazes me how much upgrades have changed since 2012. I was only PremExec (Gold) in 2010-2011 (have only been Silver since), and in those years my upgrade rate was 75% easily, based out of SFO and often traveling as a family of 3!

Still is odd to hear 1Ks having such low percentage upgrade success over the past year or two.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Hite
8/27 as a gold this year
Nice. I am 4/50 as a Platinum....
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by RockyMtFlyer
I know this is old news and just a moment in time (air travel still wounded from 2008 crisis, still pre-merger, etc), but it amazes me how much upgrades have changed since 2012. I was only PremExec (Gold) in 2010-2011 (have only been Silver since), and in those years my upgrade rate was 75% easily, based out of SFO and often traveling as a family of 3!

Still is odd to hear 1Ks having such low percentage upgrade success over the past year or two.
Three letters - TOD
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I know LAX > EWR is a ridiculous route for elites, but has anyone had luck as a gold getting an upgrade? I'm 0/24 as a silver so far this year (obviously not surprised), about to be gold.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Must be nice. I'm just north of 0% this year as a 1K. It's really no joke, it's a complete 180 from years ago, and each year since it's gotten worse. I've gone from a near 100% upgrade rate, to something around 3% this year.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:44 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
6/14 as a Gold this year. To be fair my profession allows me to pick flights friendlier to my chances and I'm not doing hub-to-hub.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demkr
Must be nice. I'm just north of 0% this year as a 1K. It's really no joke, it's a complete 180 from years ago, and each year since it's gotten worse. I've gone from a near 100% upgrade rate, to something around 3% this year.
You want an upgrade? UA will be happy to give you all you want.

Be a Global Services member or pay for your upgrade. It's that simple.

As the ultimate insult, of course, since you are a 1K and UA owns you (and knows it), they will charge you far more for that upgrade than they will a Kettle.

Enjoy the Friendly Skies!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I'm actually doing pretty good this year on my eligible routes....
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I think a reason for not a lot elites getting an upgrade is that many are purchasing F class.

I buy them a lot in the EWR - Florida market - they are very inexpensive compared to many years ago, when elite upgrades were almost a guarantee.

With advance purchase, you can easily get a EWR - Florida ticket in the low $300's. In the old days, a F ticket in Florida markets was $1000 each way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.