Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
I got upgraded as a silver IAH-LAX! The gate agent came back to get me, and I was completely shocked. I was especially lucky because my DFW-IAH flight was late, meaning I got put on a later IAH-LAX flight than originally scheduled (and likely wouldn't have gotten an upgrade on the original flight--the GA told me several European flights were late and were causing misconnections--the one time a delay has worked in my favor).

I should've bought a lottery ticket, though I suppose I used up all of my luck that day.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
I got upgraded as a silver IAH-LAX! The gate agent came back to get me, and I was completely shocked. I was especially lucky because my DFW-IAH flight was late, meaning I got put on a later IAH-LAX flight than originally scheduled (and likely wouldn't have gotten an upgrade on the original flight--the GA told me several European flights were late and were causing misconnections--the one time a delay has worked in my favor).

I should've bought a lottery ticket, though I suppose I used up all of my luck that day.

Miracles do happen!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by teeceedee
Upgrade rate 24% as gold last year (see sig)

Though to be fair some of that was during smaller one day holidays when nobody else was flying.
I flew 96 segments last year as a gold. I was upgraded two times the entire year.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It's sad that Gold CPUs are so rare that people are now posting a new thread on an actual upgrade.

fyi, you can check diditclear.com to see the stats
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
If I updated diditclear.com since last Jan 14, the 1k upg stats would plummet. I mean nose dive. I will get around to it someday but it's going to be ugly for the nay-sayers or non-believers.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
In all honesty with all the ERJ's I find myself on, it's really hard to gauge where I would be with upgrades because I'm just simply not on planes eligible. I'm on a couple of 1st-equipped flights next week, we'll see what happens.

Heck, on the ERJ last week, I had the 2-seat side exit row all to myself, it felt like F to me LOL....
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
It's not really useful to hear how many segments you flew and how many times you were upgraded without know what types of aircraft you typically fly. Lots of regional jets have no or tiny first-class cabins, and that plays a big part of it. If you fly a lot of 737-900s, your rate will likely be much higher.

As platinum, I'm 2 for 6 this year on upgrade-eligible flights: EWR-PBI and PBI-EWR.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I've been lucky this year on vacation flights -- roundtrip upgrades IAD-STT, and one way SFO-LIH.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Between 2010 and 2014 I flew approximately 200,000 miles as a Gold and had two upgrades; both on regional jets. Neither included something that would settle for a fast food meal.

Moral: If you have to fly UA, get a Chase card and get all the effective benefits of elite status.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Moral: If you have to fly UA, get a Chase card and get all the effective benefits of elite status.
Just not true! Fly more and you'll understand the value of IRROPS handling.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Used to get upgrades much more often as a PMCO Silver than as a UA 1K today.
Less capacity, more elites, more ToD upgrades, etc.
Agreed. I definitely got more upgrades as silver with Continental than I do now as platinum.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by hookthem
Just not true! Fly more and you'll understand the value of IRROPS handling.
IRROPS handling....ha, you're joking right?

UA is horrible at that. They had to rebook me last week, and they rebooked for 2 days after my original flight, taking me basically around the U.S....SEA>IAH>SFO>MCO>ORD when my original flight was SEA>ORD. After fighting them on the phone forever (since customer service at the airport couldn't help worth a darn), I was finally rebooked into a different airline.

If I had enough time to make the new suggested route, I would have done it....would have made for a darn good mileage run on a P/Y fare.

The sad part though is that this "value" or IRROPs handling for a 1K (and other elites) is actually better (much better) than for the typical UA passenger. I really feel sorry for them when things go in the crapper - I remember once seeing passengers from my flight at IAH when our flight got cancel get in line at the customer service desk that night, and I went to a hotel (wasn't going to mess with anything and just figure out the next day) to return to the airport 6 hours later and all the same customers were still in line, many sleeping next to their bags with one agent working.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:51 pm

The other day I was on a flight where the entire E+ cabin was completely empty at T-24, and F was about half-full. Would have been an easy upgrade for Gold elites.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I had zero upgrades as Gold but snagged 2 as a Silver.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA-Gold 1MM
My Upgrade History

I've been a gold for three years. Like most posters, I got more upgrades as a United Silver than as a merged gold. Last year (2014) I had 8 upgrades for 39 flights that had a FC cabin. I suspect this is a higher percentage than most. Still, a shame. I'll make Million Miles this year, for what it is worth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.