Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hkcj
* In mid-2021, UA started a process that unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability, jointly they are called "travel credits"
* There are still a few differences - transferability and expiration are different
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight

FFC -- Future flight Credit issued when you voluntarily cancel or change a non-refundable flight
ETC -- A credit issued generally for a service related issue, broken seat, a significant delayed flight due to UA issues, ....
Refunds due to significant schedule changes or cancellations are different, see Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund,New DOT ruling,UA processing refunds

United travel credits
We have two types of travel credits, and both can easily be used to shop for flights and amenities on our website or app. Get to know future flight credits and travel certificates.

How do I redeem my travel credits?
Shop for your flight as you normally would. Once you get to checkout, all unused travel credits that are connected to your MileagePlus account will automatically appear once you select “Travel Credits” as a payment option. All you have to do is select the checkbox next to the credit and it will automatically be applied to your reservation.

If you don’t see one of your travel credits listed, or don’t have a MileagePlus account, you can also look up your credit directly from checkout and apply it to your cart.
Can anyone use my credits?
Who can actually use a travel credit varies based on credit type.

Future flight credits
Normally, a future flight credit is non-transferrable and therefore must be used by the same traveler it was issued to. However, all future flight credits that were issued for tickets purchased on or before August 31, 2021, can now be used to book travel for anyone, including yourself, friends, or family. If you have trouble using a future flight credit, please contact Reservations at 1-800-864-8331.
Travel certificates
These credits can be used by anyone.
What can I use my travel credits?
  1. All travel credits can be used to buy tickets on United, United Express and partner-operated flights. You can also apply travel credits toward non-ticket items, like Economy Plus® seating, Basic Economy seat assignments and preferred seating. (and pre-paid checked bags? never implemented)

To use travel credits with PlusPoints, you’ll need to book your ticket using your travel credit and then request a PlusPoints upgrade.
Do travel credits expire?
All travel credits do expire, but the expirations work differently for the two types of credits.

Future flight credits
Future flight credits have a “travel by” date as their expiration. This means the itinerary you apply a future flight credit toward must begin travel before the expiration date. In most cases, this date is one year after your original ticket was issued.

Please note, future flight credits issued on or before December 31, 2022, have had their “travel by” date extended to December 31, 2023.

Travel certificates
Travel certificates have a “book by” date as their expiration. Meaning, you must book your flight using this credit before the expiration date. In most cases, these credits expire up to one year after the date they were issued.

Please note, travel certificates set to expire on or before December 31, 2022, or issued before December 31, 2022, have had their “book by” date extended to December 31, 2023.
Where do I find my travel credit info?
MileagePlus members can find a summary of their travel credits in their account. If you aren’t a member or can’t find your credit in your account, you can also use the lookup forms provided on this page to find your travel credit information, including the value and expiration date.
Can I use multiple credit info?
Yes, you can use multiple credits of the same type in a single purchase. Future flight credits and travel certificates cannot be combined. {Although in Sept 2021 UA hinted this was coming}
What if I have a travel credit issues for a flight originally booked through a travel agent?
You can still use your credit, but you’ll need to do it through the travel agency you used to book the original flight.
(ETC) Terms and conditions
Certificate terms and conditions
  1. Travel certificates are redeemable toward transportation on any flight operated by United Airlines, Inc., United Express, and partner airlines sold on United digital channels.
  2. You may redeem or view travel certificate details at united.com by clicking on Deals & Offers, Promotional certificates, and entering the promotion code and PIN in the offer code box. You can also call United at 800-UNITED-1 (800-864-8331). A fee may apply for redemption via telephone. You will be asked to enter the last name of the certificate recipient. Certificates may not be redeemed through a travel agency.
  3. The promotion code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire 24 months from original date of issue, unless otherwise noted.
  4. Travel certificates have no cash value.
  5. Travel certificates will not be honored in conjunction with prepaid tickets, fee-waived tickets, MileagePlus awards, tour packages or other service charges. You must pay for outstanding fees and ancillary purchases with a credit or debit card at time of purchase.
  6. If the face amount of a travel certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted, or the expiration date has been reached, whichever comes first.
  7. Travel certificates are not transferable and may not be sold, traded or bartered. However, the original recipient of a certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering the certificate. Any sale or barter of a certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render a certificate null and void such that the certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
  8. Positive identification may be required when using a certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or unintended use of a certificate by a person other than the original recipient.
  9. United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
Can I convert a FFC to ETC? Can I get an ETC instead of FFC?
You can not longer do either.
Occasionally, if there is an problem using your FFC, the agent will convert it to an ETC for immediate use. These are rare and at the agent;s discretion. Calling to ask converting an FFC to ETC for use by another traveler will likely not work -as the FFC was never intended for transfer
What if I only use part of the credit, what happens to the rest?
For both FFCs/ETCs the remainder of the credit is available for future use
But these credits must be fully used before the use of a credit card payment
Can FFCs or ETCs be used to pay award fees?
No
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC in 24 hours?
Payment goes back to original form of payment, Note this can take some time -- a week or more, especially for the ETC.
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC after 24 hours?
This becomes a new FFC (including the ETC value). This generally happens immediately.
ETC
ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Comparison of TB, ETCs, & FFCs
  • They all have different pluses and minuses
  • TB can only be used on an all UA operated itin but can be used to book anyone. Deposited TB funds have up to 5 year expiration (special promos are funds are much shorter) and need to be used for a booking before expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • ETCs can be used for any itin bookable by United and can be used by any traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be booked by expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • FFCs can be use for any itin bookable by United but can only be used by the named traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be started before expiration
  • Only one of these can be used in a single booking, but multiple ETCs or Multiple FFCs can be used for a single booking
  • TB and ETCs can be converted to FFCs. FFCs can not (in general) be converted to ETCs (but occasionally will be if a legitimate FFCs usage fails).
  • FFCs or ETCs can not be deposited in TB.
Not working as-of April 2024. However, you can follow the below to book a flight, then change it to a different flight after the expiration date.
Originally Posted by wiki
If you want to extend an FFC, the most reliable process is:

Purchasie a new non-refundable (non-BE) itin, for same passengers as the FFC. Do not use change of flight, start a new booking without using the FFC.
When you get to the payment page, then use the FFC as a form of payment
Wait a bit over 24 hours and then cancel.
You then will receive, essentially instantaneous, a new FFC with an expiration 1 year from the booking date.
The new FFC must be used for a trip starting before the new expiration
Deviations may not be successful
This will not work for FFC from a partial flown trip.

This works for extending ETC also except the ETC with be converted to a FFC and locked to the named passenger.

There is no guarantee this process will work in the future
Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..
Is UA enforcing No Residual Value restriction found in some fare rules?

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life ...Closed
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights ...Closed
How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight ...Closed

Archive:
Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I have an upcoming international trip (BER -> EWR -> RTB) on February 4 and need to cancel. The ticket is booked in normal economy (L / W fare classes). When I go to "view cancel options," I am presented with the option to request a future travel credit of 610 EUR.

I would like to do this, but have the following basic questions:
  1. What is the deadline for requesting to cancel and receiving a FTC? Ideally I would like to wait as long as possible in case United makes a change to the itinerary and I can get a cash refund.
  2. Do I need to use the future travel credit all at once, or can I use it piece-by-piece?
  3. UA says change fees may apply when I use the FTC, but none are shown. How do I know what fees, if any, will be charged?
Thank you for your help!
1) Departure of the flight. Check in cut-off time to be safe
2) Assuming this was ticketed directly through United you can use piece-by-piece and will have a new credit issued for any difference. If it was issued by a traditional travel agency, those credits aren't generally eligible for residual credits and you need to use the full value or lose it
3) Would need to check the fare rules for penalties. US originating itineraries have no change fees. I think most European origins don't either, but the fare rules will be the definitive answer.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:28 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
1) Departure of the flight. Check in cut-off time to be safe
2) Assuming this was ticketed directly through United you can use piece-by-piece and will have a new credit issued for any difference. If it was issued by a traditional travel agency, those credits aren't generally eligible for residual credits and you need to use the full value or lose it
3) Would need to check the fare rules for penalties. US originating itineraries have no change fees. I think most European origins don't either, but the fare rules will be the definitive answer.
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum
[
Originally Posted by runpete
So no movement on the missing $1,000. I chatted with 4 different people. One of them converted one of the FFCs into an ETC. I don’t know why. Another said that they couldn’t see far enough back into the reservation to see the original amount of the first FFC. I was then transferred to Mileage Plus who then transferred me to Reservations. I was then told to send an email into UA for help and that I should request compensation for damaged items. I’m not kidding.

Hoping that someone at United knows what they’re doing and can resolve this.

​​​​​​​The missing value was found and it’s all been sorted out.
Lux Flyer likes this.

Last edited by runpete; Jan 21, 2023 at 12:26 pm Reason: Quoted wrong quote
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by jamly
I'm in a similar situation. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but want to clarify -- the FFCs don't need to cover the entire ticket price in this case, right? i.e. I have

- Traveler 1 use their own FFC that partially covers the new ticket price
- Traveler 2 use their own FFC that partially covers the new ticket price
- Traveler 3 use their own FFC that partially covers the new ticket price
- Traveler 4 without FFC

and use a single cc to cover the remaining amount for travelers 1,2,3 and the whole ticket for traveler 4 to put everyone on a single PNR?
Yes, this should work. I just did a variant of this online a few days ago -- 3 of us traveling, each of us had a ~$25 residual credit from a change last November, and I had an additional ~$200 residual credit from a change last April. I made sure the Mileage+ numbers were there for each traveler, and at the payment screen it showed all of the above credits as options to apply to the respective people, and I paid the remainder on one card. All of us are on one PNR. I did have the others saved in my profile previously, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Ticket Validity

If I have a ticket that was issued on 8/15/22 for travel on 3/1/23 but I have to cancel it. I understand that the $ will be stored as a travel credit. Will that credit expire one year from the date the credit is issued or one year from the date that the original ticket was issued?
Old Jan 28, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
If I have a ticket that was issued on 8/15/22 for travel on 3/1/23 but I have to cancel it. I understand that the $ will be stored as a travel credit. Will that credit expire one year from the date the credit is issued or one year from the date that the original ticket was issued?
if you go to the travel credits section of your MP account online or in the app, it should state the date.

typically, for FFC, you need to fly by the specific date - which was traditionally one year from the issue date of the original ticket. I still get confused about what got extended when, as their were several COVID related extensions, but believe that should qualify for the latest blanket extension which was good for all FFCs, which allows it to be used for any ticket where the first flight departs by Dec. 31, 2023.

A very quick hack up job on this, but here’s a quick details-redacted version of it on the app from my account (on another [OT] note, it’s hard to believe but finally almost used all of our credits from when COVID started and the associated cancelations since - took a while - going to be hard to realize we have to ‘pay full price’ on our itins again - been a while).

Old Jan 28, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Thanks but still a little confused. I haven't canceled the ticket yet. So are you saying I have to use the travel credit for a new flight that departs no later than 8/15/23 ? But you mention COVID extensions- does that make the travel credit good even later than 8/15/23 ?
Thanks again.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks but still a little confused. I haven't canceled the ticket yet. So are you saying I have to use the travel credit for a new flight that departs no later than 8/15/23 ? But you mention COVID extensions- does that make the travel credit good even later than 8/15/23 ?
Thanks again.
As United states and stated in the wiki of the master thread
In most cases, travel credits expire one year after the date they were issued. The expiration date will be listed on the credit itself. What that date means for you differs based on what type of credit you have.

If you have a future flight credit, it’s a "travel by" date. This means your trip must begin before the expiration date listed on your credit.

If you have a travel certificate, it’s a "book by" date. This means you must book your flight before the expiration date.

Return trips booked with travel credits are subject to the rules for that ticket type. In general, return trips should be booked within one year of your trip’s start.

Credits set to expire or issued on or before December 31, 2022 have had their “book by” or “travel by” date extended to December 31, 2023.
Your FFC will be travel by Dec 31.
JIMCHI likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 12:19 am

Thanks again.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As United states and stated in the wiki of the master thread

Your FFC will be travel by Dec 31.
EDIT: Below is wrong, per example in later post confirming that the expiration is based on the ticketing date.

Actually, if I understand the question and the United FAQs, since the ticket hasn't been canceled yet, let's say you cancel on 2/3/23 -- the credit would be good for *travel* beginning by 2/3/24 (a year from when the credit was issued). That doesn't need the waiver, which affected trips canceled in 2022 (or earlier). I canceled a flight in April 2022 and that was subject to the waiver -- it had an expiration date of 12/31/23 (before I used it recently).

I may be wrong, but I don't think any credit expirations are tied to the ticketing date anymore -- which is a good thing; that was always an unwelcome trap, especially for those who book well in advance. You could have a flight booked 11 months in advance, have to cancel right before the trip, and only have 1 month to use it. Now, you would have a year from the date you canceled. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and there are still ticket-date-based scenarios, because I don't want to spread misinformation.

Given that, it likely makes sense to wait until closer to the flight date to cancel, as that will give the longest expiration.
JIMCHI likes this.

Last edited by jmastron; Jan 30, 2023 at 8:41 pm Reason: correcting wrong info
Old Jan 29, 2023, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmastron
Actually, if I understand the question and the United FAQs, since the ticket hasn't been canceled yet, let's say you cancel on 2/3/23 -- the credit would be good for *travel* beginning by 2/3/24 (a year from when the credit was issued). That doesn't need the waiver, which affected trips canceled in 2022 (or earlier). I canceled a flight in April 2022 and that was subject to the waiver -- it had an expiration date of 12/31/23 (before I used it recently).

I may be wrong, but I don't think any credit expirations are tied to the ticketing date anymore -- which is a good thing; that was always an unwelcome trap, especially for those who book well in advance. You could have a flight booked 11 months in advance, have to cancel right before the trip, and only have 1 month to use it. Now, you would have a year from the date you canceled. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and there are still ticket-date-based scenarios, because I don't want to spread misinformation.

Given that, it likely makes sense to wait until closer to the flight date to cancel, as that will give the longest expiration.
this is not now and never has been correct. Expiration date has always been based on original date of issue of the original ticket, but then had the pandemic extension[s] incorporated.

Cancelation date does not change anything. The ‘credit’ per se isn’t new once you cancel your itinerary - it is the same PNR, without any flight segments ir tickets included anymore since they would have been canceled. The value paid is still attached to the PNR, so can be used for a new itinerary - either by adding new flights to the existing PNR (or ‘credit’) or by using that credit to fund an entirely new ticket (with any extra value being available for later use, or requiring extra payment if the new itinerary is more than the amount in the PNR). the latter method is new, and was only started to be available during the pandemic - this has some advantages including allowing you to have a new, ‘clean’ PNR for new flights, access to the 24-hour fee-free cancelation, and a new date of issue if you decide to cancel segments again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 11:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Given that, it likely makes sense to wait until closer to the flight date to cancel, as that will give the longest expiration.
No it does not

This recent example may help
Booked 2 Jan 2023
Canceled 14 Jan 2023 (to change days)

Expiration for FFC is 1 year from purchase

Expiration for ETC is one year from date of issue
JIMCHI, jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No it does not

This recent example may help
Booked 2 Jan 2023
Canceled 14 Jan 2023 (to change days)

Expiration for FFC is 1 year from purchase

Expiration for ETC is one year from date of issue
I stand corrected -- and disappointed with United for both very misleading wording and for effectively reinstating a pretty unfriendly policy even if it was how things were done in the past.

Thanks for providing a clear example; I was going to ask if anyone had a cancellation in 2023 to verify either way.

The wording in the travel credit FAQ and the terms and conditions on the same page read “Most travel certificates expire 12 months after the original date they're issued”. It’s hard for me to interpret “they” as anything other than “travel the certificates”, and it’s also hard for me to interpret those certificates being issued anytime other than when the cancellation happens. I’m initially purchasing a ticket, not a “travel certificate”, so if they mean “12 months after date the original ticket was issued”, they should say that explicitly. The FAQ on change fees at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html does say it that way: “No. If you cancel your flight and don’t choose a new one right away, you’ll get a flight credit that you can use up to one year from your original ticket issue date.”

Hopefully enough complaints from people reading the travel credit version to either rewrite the language there, or even better to reconsider the policy as they eventually did on change residuals. I’ve always thought having to fly 12-months from ticketing was a harsh penalty on those who book well in advance (often at higher prices than available a couple months out). Imagine having to cancel a trip during a school vacation that you booked 330 days in advance, and finding out you only have a month to use it or not. One of the reason airlines used to give for this was legacy system limitations, but that's obviously not the case given the way they were able to manage extended expirations during the waiver period.

But as I stated, I am glad for the correction, and will edit my post so as not to give anyone false hope!
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:26 pm

The wording in the travel credit FAQ and the terms and conditions on the same page read “Most travel certificates expire 12 months after the original date they're issued”. It’s hard for me to interpret “they” as anything other than “travel the certificates”, and it’s also hard for me to interpret those certificates being issued anytime other than when the cancellation happens. I’m initially purchasing a ticket, not a “travel certificate”, so if they mean “12 months after date the original ticket was issued”
"Most travel certificates" for a straight up cancellation are in reality unused tickets and the value remains in the ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stand corrected -- and disappointed with United for both very misleading wording and for effectively reinstating a pretty unfriendly policy even if it was how things were done in the past.

Thanks for providing a clear example; I was going to ask if anyone had a cancellation in 2023 to verify either way.

The wording in the travel credit FAQ and the terms and conditions on the same page read “Most travel certificates expire 12 months after the original date they're issued”. It’s hard for me to interpret “they” as anything other than “travel the certificates”, and it’s also hard for me to interpret those certificates being issued anytime other than when the cancellation happens. I’m initially purchasing a ticket, not a “travel certificate”, so if they mean “12 months after date the original ticket was issued”, they should say that explicitly. The FAQ on change fees at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html does say it that way: “No. If you cancel your flight and don’t choose a new one right away, you’ll get a flight credit that you can use up to one year from your original ticket issue date.”

Hopefully enough complaints from people reading the travel credit version to either rewrite the language there, or even better to reconsider the policy as they eventually did on change residuals. I’ve always thought having to fly 12-months from ticketing was a harsh penalty on those who book well in advance (often at higher prices than available a couple months out). Imagine having to cancel a trip during a school vacation that you booked 330 days in advance, and finding out you only have a month to use it or not. One of the reason airlines used to give for this was legacy system limitations, but that's obviously not the case given the way they were able to manage extended expirations during the waiver period.

But as I stated, I am glad for the correction, and will edit my post so as not to give anyone false hope!
you’re conflating two different things (even though your point about Comms at UA is well taken - quite frankly, clear explanations were never a strong suit at UA).

Travel Certificates, aka ETCs (ie, electronic travel certificates) are good for a year from date of issue. It’s just that’s not what you’re getting when you cancel flights. It was an option for a short time - maybe a few months - in 2020 early in the pandemic. But otherwise, ETCs we’re given for compensation, DBs, etc.

when you cancel a flight, you get an FFC, or a future flight credit, not a travel certificate. This again has always been the way. Essentially, it’s the PNR without any segments left. So nothing is newly issued, at cancelation of otherwise. it’s just the shell of your booking, with the value ($ or miles) stored, and you can use that to fund new segments when you choose them. Issue date is still the same - when you booked the original flights. Mostly the same on other carriers. When you choose new segments in the PNR, if you re-book that way, the ticket does get ‘re-issued’, but that still is not and never will be the ‘original’ date of issue.

Since the pandemic, these have actually become more flexible - in the past, you could only add new segments in the existing PNR to use the funds. Now, you can use the funds in that PNR to pay for an entirely new one, getting you the benefits of a new PNR - including a new 24 hour refund ability, an updated date of issue, etc.

like it or not, that’s just the way it is. If you truly want to extend it, you can always use the latter method - book a new itinerary on a new PNR, then use the FFC to pay for it, then wait 24 hours to cancel that (so it doesn’t get ‘refunded’ back to the old PNR) and then voila, you have a new credit for another year. This works unless UA at some point goes back to change fees, but doesn’t seem like that so going to happen, at least anytime soon.
SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
If you book one reservation for 2 people, will that generate 1 or 2 future flight credits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.