Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is UA enforcing No Residual Value restriction found in some fare rules?

Old Jan 6, 22, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold

Hi everyone, I'm about to buy a ticket (TPAC P-Class fare, ex-US), and I'm confused about what happens if I wanted to

In the Wiki above it says:
"When re-booking 3-March 2020 purchased tickets, if the new ticket is cheaper you will receive an ETC (good for 24 months); starting April 2021, this is now a new form of FFC" This sounds like it's for all fares?
(Also, in jsloan's post above, "UA's reversal of this policy is
still not written into the fare rules" - does this refer to reversal in the policy to now give residual value as some kind of credit?)

However, when I check the United website https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html in the FAQs, it says:
"If your new flight costs less, you may receive a future flight credit for the fare difference if the fare rules allow." (bolding mine)

In the fare rules for my flight:

"FULL VALUE OF A WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY BE APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF A NEW TICKET PRICED AT -CURRENT- QUALIFYING FARE LEVELS /// SOME EXCLUSIONS APPLY /// -- RESIDUAL VALUE // IF ANY // WILL BE IGNORED -- IF APPLICABLE / ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARE / SURCHARGE / TAXES/ FEES/ CHARGES WILL BE APPLICABLE AT TIME OF TICKET EXCHANGE --"

Does this mean that if I change to a cheaper flight in the future, that I lose the residual value?
Old Mar 6, 22, 3:23 am

Sorry for asking, what may be a basic question for a UA expert. However, in Europe this is not customary. I just want to be sure.
If I buy a non-refundable economy class ticket (NOT basic economy) and I decide to cancel, I will be able to get a voucher on the ticket amount.
IF yes, is that amount "blcoked" only to be used at the same route in the future - or can it be applied at all UA flights in the future.

I will buy the ticket in March, for a flight btw SFO-Hawaii in July.

Thanks
HJ
Old Mar 6, 22, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson View Post
Sorry for asking, what may be a basic question for a UA expert. However, in Europe this is not customary. I just want to be sure.
If I buy a non-refundable economy class ticket (NOT basic economy) and I decide to cancel, I will be able to get a voucher on the ticket amount.
IF yes, is that amount "blcoked" only to be used at the same route in the future - or can it be applied at all UA flights in the future.

I will buy the ticket in March, for a flight btw SFO-Hawaii in July.

Thanks
HJ
No, it will not be restricted to use on the same route.

Information and much discussion about FFC is here:
Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)
Old Mar 30, 22, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I have a FFC for about $1000 currently, lets call it PNR #1.

If I use that FFC to purchase a new reservation (PNR #2) that costs $800, will I then receive a new FFC for $200 with the old PNR number (PNR #1)?
Old Apr 18, 22, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
This is going to be a mess.
UA's reversal of this policy is still not written into the fare rules.
Hi - is this still the case? I'm looking to book a trip to India in November from EWR (Premium Plus there and Polaris on the way home) and I see the "Residual Will Be Ignored" language in the fare rules. Not 100% set on the itinerary (may downgrade the Polaris segment) so want to ensure that the updated policy of issuing an FFC for the residual is in effect for India travel from the US, despite what the fare rules say.

Thanks

Search this Thread