Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 19, 19, 4:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
General the answers is ETCs can only be used for UA flights.

Below is a suggestion
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
My old workaround still works:

Use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only ticket.

Then use the new ticket and change it to the flights your really want, including the non- UA metal ones.
related thread
Questions/Answers/Rules on Electronic Travel Certificates (vouchers; ecerts)
Print Wikipost

Old May 15, 12, 10:43 pm
  #1  
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Posts: 970
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

I have an Electronic Travel Certificate issued by Customer Care. The promotion code is 12TCVA. When I attempt to book a flight that involves a codeshare partner, such as Lufthansa, it does not give me the option to use the ETC on the payment page. Any ideas? Thank you.
In The 216 is offline  
Old May 15, 12, 10:48 pm
  #2  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 54,540
Every ETC / eCert I have ever seen are limited to UA flights -- so itins with a LH flight would be ineligible.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 15, 12, 10:59 pm
  #3  
formerly FrequentFlyKid
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Posts: 970
The TOC says that "certain codeshares" may be permitted. Any idea which codeshares are permitted or where I can find that information?

CERTIFICATE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
UA REF: GG ETC
1) To redeem go to United.com or call United Airlines Reservations 800-864-8331 (800-UNITED-1) or visit a United Ticket Office. There is no fee to book and redeem at United.com. Please note, there will be a ticketing service fee if you redeem at United Reservations, or a United ticketing facility. Fees vary, starting at $15, and are subject to change without notice. Certificates may not be redeemed through a Travel Agency.
2) You may view certificate details at United.com by clicking on Deals and Offers, Promotional Programs and enter Promotion code and PIN in the offer code box.
3) The certificate may be redeemed for credit up to its face amount only towards the purchase of an electronic airline ticket(s), where eligible, from United. The Promotion Code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire one year from original date of issue.
4) The certificate will not be honored in connection with prepaid tickets, tour packages or the purchase of non-transportation documents or items such as excess baggage charges, pet charges, MileagePlus Rewards, fee-waived tickets etc.
5) If the face amount of this certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted or the expiration date has been reached. This certificate cannot be combined with other travel certificates with promotion code TCVA or other travel certificates that represent a form of payment.
6) This certificate is not transferable and may not be sold or bartered. However, the original recipient of this certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering this certificate. Any sale or barter transaction involving this certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render this certificate full VOID and thereupon this certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
7) Positive identification may be required when using this certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or use of this certificate receipt by a person other than the original recipient.
8) Travel permitted on flights operated by United and United Express. Certain codeshare flights may be valid for redemption.
9) United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
In The 216 is offline  
Old May 15, 12, 11:20 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dubai / NYC
Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Posts: 5,220
The "Certain code shares permitted" are UEX flights even though that not really a code share. I always take the miles w these things. At least I know what I'm getting
chinatraderjmr is offline  
Old May 16, 12, 2:32 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Posts: 2,777
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid View Post
The TOC says that "certain codeshares" may be permitted. Any idea which codeshares are permitted or where I can find that information?

CERTIFICATE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
UA REF: GG ETC
1) To redeem go to United.com or call United Airlines Reservations 800-864-8331 (800-UNITED-1) or visit a United Ticket Office. There is no fee to book and redeem at United.com. Please note, there will be a ticketing service fee if you redeem at United Reservations, or a United ticketing facility. Fees vary, starting at $15, and are subject to change without notice. Certificates may not be redeemed through a Travel Agency.
2) You may view certificate details at United.com by clicking on Deals and Offers, Promotional Programs and enter Promotion code and PIN in the offer code box.
3) The certificate may be redeemed for credit up to its face amount only towards the purchase of an electronic airline ticket(s), where eligible, from United. The Promotion Code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire one year from original date of issue.
4) The certificate will not be honored in connection with prepaid tickets, tour packages or the purchase of non-transportation documents or items such as excess baggage charges, pet charges, MileagePlus Rewards, fee-waived tickets etc.
5) If the face amount of this certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted or the expiration date has been reached. This certificate cannot be combined with other travel certificates with promotion code TCVA or other travel certificates that represent a form of payment.
6) This certificate is not transferable and may not be sold or bartered. However, the original recipient of this certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering this certificate. Any sale or barter transaction involving this certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render this certificate full VOID and thereupon this certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
7) Positive identification may be required when using this certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or use of this certificate receipt by a person other than the original recipient.
8) Travel permitted on flights operated by United and United Express. Certain codeshare flights may be valid for redemption.
9) United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
Try NH.
lax2010 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 12, 7:52 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: LH/LX, KLM/AF
Posts: 13
Follow up question...

Hey guys. Given the answers to this previous post, im not sure ill be able to use my two 300usd UA e-certs i got last month.

I have 600usd worth of e-certs, and live in switzerland. I wont be going to the US until my e-certs both expire, so it seems i cant use them for anything.

Anybody know of an option of how i could use them, for example for flights EU to India?

Thanks
tobir is offline  
Old Aug 14, 12, 2:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 951
Was trying to find an answer to my question, and this thread popped up. Title is accurate, although issue is slightly different:

I just purchased a UA codeshare flight operated by US airways using a UA E-Certificate. The amount was applied to the total, and I charged the balance on my credit card. Immediately afterwards I received an e-mail saying "There has been a delay in the issuance of your ticket(s) for technical reasons. No action is required by you at this time. We expect to have your ticket issued shortly. "

When I click on the reservation on .bomb it says payment is due, and the ticket is on hold.

What say you? Did I sneak one by the system (unknowingly) or will my reservation be cancelled? To be honest, I didn't even realize I was booking a codeshare, and would rather fly United if they would be willing to switch me free of charge...
100% Green is offline  
Old Aug 14, 12, 2:46 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 951
Should I call United or give it some time? Travel is soon, and I need to make the rest of the arrangements...
100% Green is offline  
Old Aug 14, 12, 2:53 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 697
Originally Posted by 100% Green View Post
Should I call United or give it some time? Travel is soon, and I need to make the rest of the arrangements...
Call and ask. No harm in that.
PHLyer82 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:29 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SAT
Programs: UA 1K, UA Million Miler, Hertz #1, Five Star, Marriott Gold
Posts: 61
Thumbs down UA won't honor travel certificate

Today I tried to use a travel certificate (funds left over from cancelled trip) to book my wife from SAT to VCE. I was told by UA that since part of the trip involved a LH code share (one leg, FRA to VCE, with a UA flight number to boot!) that I could not use the travel certificate. The first UA agent assumed that the certificate was a "gift" from UA for irregular ops and chided me for for my attitude. I called back to the 1K line and was told the same thing by another agent. The cancelled trip also involved a code share, but that does not seem to matter.

My response was to cancel both my wife's and my ticket on UA, and rebook the trip on LH! I only hurt them to the tune of around $5000, so I am sure that they don't care. However, I do care about how I am treated. And, at least in this case my money walked.

In June, UA had over 600 complaints filed with DOT! (Apparently, 3 times more than any other carrier.) They seem hell bent on driving business away. (Maybe Smisek owns a bunch of options which go up in value as UA's stock price goes down.) I am a 1K and my wife is a Platinum, and we are seasoned travelers. Thus we can fend for our selves pretty well. But I don't know how the typical, occasional traveler could get any help from UA.
svancleavemd is offline  
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Suburban Philadelphia
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Posts: 3,388
I don't suppose UA is still the operating carrier on the US portion of the trip, are they?
Cargojon is offline  
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:37 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 1,208
Originally Posted by svancleavemd View Post
Today I tried to use a travel certificate (funds left over from cancelled trip) to book my wife from SAT to VCE. I was told by UA that since part of the trip involved a LH code share (one leg, FRA to VCE, with a UA flight number to boot!) that I could not use the travel certificate. The first UA agent assumed that the certificate was a "gift" from UA for irregular ops and chided me for for my attitude. I called back to the 1K line and was told the same thing by another agent. The cancelled trip also involved a code share, but that does not seem to matter.

My response was to cancel both my wife's and my ticket on UA, and rebook the trip on LH! I only hurt them to the tune of around $5000, so I am sure that they don't care. However, I do care about how I am treated. And, at least in this case my money walked.

In June, UA had over 600 complaints filed with DOT! (Apparently, 3 times more than any other carrier.) They seem hell bent on driving business away. (Maybe Smisek owns a bunch of options which go up in value as UA's stock price goes down.) I am a 1K and my wife is a Platinum, and we are seasoned travelers. Thus we can fend for our selves pretty well. But I don't know how the typical, occasional traveler could get any help from UA.
um - doesn't UA and LH share revenue on TATL? So essentially, you just gave money to UA while giving the cost to LH. (i'll admit, i don't really know how it works, i've just heard such things)
travel.flier is offline  
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:39 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Posts: 4,231
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
I don't suppose UA is still the operating carrier on the US portion of the trip, are they?
Doesn't matter if it's a route where they share revenue. The OP really stuck it to UA ^
njcommodore is offline  
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:42 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,527
As far as I understand, e-Cert from canceled tickets regardless what the original itinerary was, can only be used on UA's own metal or the UAX flights. When it was paper voucher, it even spells out in clear wording on the "cover page" of the voucher. I happen to have such paper voucher still in possession and take a look to make sure my understanding is correct.

I am surprised being a 1K you have no idea of this rule.
Happy is offline  
Old Aug 21, 12, 9:44 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SAT
Programs: UA 1K, UA Million Miler, Hertz #1, Five Star, Marriott Gold
Posts: 61
All legs of the trip, except FRA to VCE, would have been on UA metal. And yes, I know that they revenue share, but clearly LH will get the bulk of the revenue now. Small deal yes, but at least I did more than talk.
svancleavemd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: