Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 4 April 2020
We’re extending electronic certificates
To give you more flexibility when you travel, electronic certificates are now valid for 24 months from the date they were issued. This includes all currently valid electronic certificates and all new ones issued on or after April 1, 2020.

This policy change will automatically appear, but it may not be reflected everywhere right away. We’d appreciate your patience as we work to make that happen.
See discussion in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ot-ruling.html
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

I need some help.. I have an ETC voucher (from a bump) expiring this week. I have nothing to book with it, and am looking to figure out a way to extend it. Someone else said to book a refundable fare elsewhere.. but I am having a hard time FINDING an inexpensive refundable fare to begin with. Anyone have suggestions of to/from destinations that may be low cost? My voucher is $300.. and the cheapest fares I am finding that are unrestricted are $1100
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:36 pm

I've never seen a refundable Y fare for less than $800 (then again i'm out of NYC).
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Here are a few with no penalty for change or cancellation:

HKG-SGN (one way)
Fare basis Y1RH
$513.10 AI

SFO-LAX (one way)
Fare Basis MA0KY
$360.80 AI

ORD-MSP (one way)
Fare Basis EA0KY
$300.80 AI

But, I have *no idea* if your plan will work.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:09 pm

Extend $100 airfare credit voucher past 1 yr?

Back in Aug 2011 i flew from IAD to SEA. i had a problem w/the plane being too cold and the stewardess was less than helpful.

I emailed United about this. they gave me a $100 voucher for my troubles.

I completely forgot about this till now. It expires mid Aug.

The problem is that i just got a new job so i cant take any time off.

Is there a way to extend the time frame?
or I just lost $100?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:15 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this question pertains to a United voucher, let's move this to the UA forum for the experts there to address. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Extending expiring CO e-cert post merger?

I couldn't find anything on doing this post-merger.

I have a non-status friend with a $500 promotion code 11TVCA e-cert issued by CO (for an IRROPS screwup) that expires by the end of summer. She wants to extend the life of the credit.

Are there any tricks that work for this post merger? My first thought was to buy a > $500 fully refundable ticket for travel another 300+ days out, keep that ticket until she's ready to use the credit, and then use that credit to buy whatever ticket she wants in the next year or so. Can anyone confirm if that will (still) work?

I know they messed with the ability to do 24-hour cancellation on nonrefundable tickets bought with e-certs, but that doesn't address refundable tickets.

Anything else that has worked post merger? Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I have an "Electronic Travel Certificate" from Continental Customer Cre that has an expiration date listed but it says nowhere that I can find if this is a "use by" or a "book and complete travel by" date - which is it?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Unless you are told - all vouchers are "used by", not "traveled by".
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by garykung
Unless you are told - all vouchers are "used by", not "traveled by".
Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Question Extend life of UA customer care voucher?

I have a $150 customer care voucher that expires on 12/13/13. If I buy a Y ticket for next April (or any date after 12/13/13) and cancel the ticket, will UA provide me with the full credit or the ticketed amount less the $150 (expired voucher)?

Many thanks
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:16 pm

The cancelled amount will normally go back to the same voucher with the same expiration date. Either that, or you lose it completely. Would not extend.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
That is what I expected would happen - thanks for the clarity
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:59 am

I would expect the same but I do recall hearing about how one guy had some type of voucher where the expiration was extended. I always use my vouchers quickly so I never have that problem.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, SPG Platinum,Hertz Gold
You can always do a test run. Purchase/Cancel/Check date
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Technically the 24 hour flexible booking policy doesn't apply to e-certs (which I'm assuming are the same as the customer care vouchers).

From United:

United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy

Ongoing Offer
Posted Thu., Jul. 17, 2008

United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to your reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price.

Terms and conditions
  • Applies to tickets booked at united.com or with United Reservations.
  • The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time your ticket is purchased.
  • Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment.
  • Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded.
  • Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
  • Any FareLockSM fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.
But, pleading ignorance (which at the time I was), I was able to get them to refund the certificate value, which, IIRC, was issued as a new certificate on a 24 hour cancellation. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.