Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA may proactively grant exceptions
Some have speculated your past history with UA may be a factor or an unusually high PQD or some life event reason or ....
To manually request an exception,
Contact MPSC
Hours: 7 a.m. – 12 a.m. (CT), 7 days a week
Call from the U.S. or Canada 1-800-421-4655
or
Email MileagePlus
United may also offer you a buy-up:
2019 Elite Buy-Up Offers from United (for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)

Previous threads
Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Will UA Grant 2017 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Will UA Grant 2016 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying? (2011-2014)

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017

Granted 2017 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2016 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2015 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]
Print Wikipost

Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A 3500 mileage run for 1K PlusPoints etc seems worthwhile, and probably less than a 1/10 of the $3500.

I’m sure UA will bump him to 1K for $3500.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Just fly SFO-ORD RT (or the equivalent) as a mileage run - that’ll cover it and cost way less than $3500.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
I am trying to help my brother out and get him to 1K this year. After his flight this week, he will be at 26k PQD and 96.7 PQM. His premier accelerator for his flight this week is $3500, which seems a bit ridiculous.

Will UA bump him to 1K as a courtesy? Any other thoughts?
Not sure where he is based, but a quick look shows me he could fly IAH-EWR next week with one leg in Y and one in J for about $700 that will give him 3,500 PQMs. I am sure there are lots of other similar options.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I am trying to help my brother out and get him to 1K this year. After his flight this week, he will be at 26k PQD and 96.7 PQM. His premier accelerator for his flight this week is $3500, which seems a bit ridiculous.

I’d take heed of the responses above and try and talk your brother into flying 3,300 miles in the next few weeks. He should be able to fly 1,650 miles and back for way under $3,500.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:13 pm

There is a very real possibility (but no guarantee) UA will bump him up to 1K as a courtesy. However, if they offer a bump to 1K on request, it will likely will not include plus points. They will probably also offer a buy up offer which will probably be les than $3.5K. With that said, he should just fly and meet the requirement - it'll be the cheapest and best outcome for him.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:50 pm

If he doesn't want to fly any more, he can just use Premier Accelerator. Just have him book a new very short flight. The Premier Accelerator options should be 2k and 4k PQMs. The 4k PQM will be ~$550. He can then cancel the flight and keep the PQMs. See United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by jquelish12
If he doesn't want to fly any more, he can just use Premier Accelerator. Just have him book a new very short flight. The Premier Accelerator options should be 2k and 4k PQMs. The 4k PQM will be ~$550. He can then cancel the flight and keep the PQMs. See United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]
Any chance on a clawback on that?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Any chance on a clawback on that?
No, very standard, see Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions, people have been doing the buy then cancel for years.

However, rates tend to increase toward the end of the year, need to act quickly.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:20 pm

Any specific method? Purchase ticket with PQM accelerator and then cancel after so many hours?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Any specific method? Purchase ticket with PQM accelerator and then cancel after so many hours?
Best to consult the thread / wiki of Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions lots of good detials there. But you can cancel immediately.

And United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019] provides actual experiences.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:59 pm

Any idea when United would do this? I ended 2019 with about 110k PQM and $14,999 PQD. I actually thought I was going to end with exactly $15k PQD, but one of my December flights (ORD-SFO-HKG) ended up earning one fewer PQD than I expected. I have an email from United stating that it was earning $X PQD, but after I took the flights, they totaled up to $X-1 PQD. Should I email United? I figured they'd have just bumped me up by now.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jj1983
Any idea when United would do this? I ended 2019 with about 110k PQM and $14,999 PQD. I actually thought I was going to end with exactly $15k PQD, but one of my December flights (ORD-SFO-HKG) ended up earning one fewer PQD than I expected. I have an email from United stating that it was earning $X PQD, but after I took the flights, they totaled up to $X-1 PQD. Should I email United? I figured they'd have just bumped me up by now.
that sucks. Try and get the PQD adjusted by 1 ... that's the easiest. Is the $1 a rounding thing where adding up multiple segments adds up to more than than the ticket value?
Email MP, send a copy of your ticket receipt showing PQD earnings and hope they will adjust it ...
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have an email from United stating that it was earning $X PQD, but after I took the flights, they totaled up to $X-1 PQD. Should I email United? I figured they'd have just bumped me up by now.
For these sorts of things I always call. They should fix it.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
that sucks. Try and get the PQD adjusted by 1 ... that's the easiest. Is the $1 a rounding thing where adding up multiple segments adds up to more than than the ticket value?
Email MP, send a copy of your ticket receipt showing PQD earnings and hope they will adjust it ...
I am not really sure, but don't think rounding. The trip had to be reticketed at least once because it was originally ORD-SFO, then UA canceled that route so was re-routed ORD-EWR-HKG, then I had them change it to ORD-SFO-HKG. In any event, when it posted, the two PQD earnings totaled up to 1 fewer than the receipt they sent me.

Originally Posted by findark
For these sorts of things I always call. They should fix it.
Yeah, I called them in December and the agent said something like "oh you'll only be short, 1 PQD? They will give it to you for sure anyway." I'm sure they will but I kind of want it now so I can start to try to use the points for upgrades. I thought this was pretty poor service but didn't have time to argue with her or call back. I will try again today.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, I called them in December and the agent said something like "oh you'll only be short, 1 PQD? They will give it to you for sure anyway." I'm sure they will but I kind of want it now so I can start to try to use the points for upgrades. I thought this was pretty poor service but didn't have time to argue with her or call back. I will try again today.
I would patiently explain the mismatch with the receipt, but regardless the MP desk on the phone can process exceptions or adjustments both. I called the other day to get my PQD requirement waived on the basis of a canceled flight that didn't technically qualify for ORC and they were able to do that for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.